GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this baby installed today from a friend who is a master electrician. He wired it up to a 40 amp (two 20's) so that I have some room to spare for future charger needs (next electric car that can use more amps!!). It will be a 30 min change to switch out the voltec with another more powerful charger.

Took about five hours to complete, from soup to nuts. I figure I saved about $500 over doing with SPX. It's not that hard if you have someone who knows what they are doing..

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
Is this is wired directly to the 40 Amp breaker?

Is there perhaps a 20 amp breaker between to 40 amp main breaker your friend installed and the branch that feeds the Voltec? The install instructions on page 2 state: "CAUTION: To reduce the risk of fire, connect only to a circuit provided with 20 amperes maximum branch circuit overcurrent protection...."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is this is wired directly to the 40 Amp breaker?

Is there perhaps a 20 amp breaker between to 40 amp main breaker your friend installed and the branch that feeds the Voltec? The install instructions on page 2 state: "CAUTION: To reduce the risk of fire, connect only to a circuit provided with 20 amperes maximum branch circuit overcurrent protection...."
Yea, thanks for the concern.

It's two 20's (I have no idea how it all works), but the breaker had two open 20 amp slots, and there are two feeds into two 20 amp connectors. If one trips the breaker, the other one goes, (some silver connector that connects the two breaker switches). Anyway, I did a bunch of homework beforehand and took pictures of it and got a quote from SPX, who came out and wanted to charge me $2500, yikes. Anyway, they were going to do the same thing.

Here is a picture:

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
Yup, that is correct. Thanks for the pics!

Good deal, you'll love the faster charging time, though I lived just fine with the 120v charge cord.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Congrats on the 240V install, it looks great! If SPX quoted you $2500, and you figured you saved $500, I guess this cost you about $2000? The 240V Voltec costs about $500, so what is it that took up the other $1500? Seems like a lot, especially considering a friend was helping you with the install. Just curious.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm about to buy a GE Watt Station to install at a second location where I charge my Volt.

I already have an SPX Xpress and it does well, but the SPX "buying" process is convoluted, complicated and expensive... I was able to bypass their bureaucracy and get on the phone with them and order the Xpress, and had my electrician install it in 30 minutes... The whole enchilada cost me around $1,500.

I like the idea, you buy a GE Watt Station and you don't have the complexity of SPX wanting a site survey, permits (I don't need permits, I'm in the sticks) etc. I wish I would have heard about the GE Watt Station earlier... I'd have two of them at each location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts