GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all been lurking for a while now. I finally got my 2019 volt premier yesterday and had a few questions. So it pretty much has all the features except the lane departure.

I’m also missing the wireless apple car play. Is there something I can do such as a software update or purchase an aftermarket part that allows me to use my iPhone wirelessly? Not much for cables.

Also, on the voltage Status page on the display it shows a maximum charge rate option of 12amps. I installed a 220v 32 amp charger prior to getting the car. I thought there would be an option to adjust the charge voltage but it’s 8 and 12. It does charge at 32 amps I assume because it charges fully in ~3 hrs but I’m not sure why I don’t have the option to choose the amperage rating.

I’ll probably have more questions later on but for now, these 2 are the main ones. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier, 2016 Volt LT
134 Posts
Hey all been lurking for a while now. I finally got my 2019 volt premier yesterday and had a few questions. So it pretty much has all the features except the lane departure. I’m also missing the wireless apple car play. Is there something I can do such as a software update or purchase an aftermarket part that allows me to use my iPhone wirelessly? Not much for cables. Also, on the voltage Status page on the display it shows a maximum charge rate option of 12amps. I installed a 220v 32 amp charger prior to getting the car. I thought there would be an option to adjust the charge voltage but it’s 8 and 12. It does charge at 32 amps I assume because it charges fully in ~3 hrs but I’m not sure why I don’t have the option to choose the amperage rating. I’ll probably have more questions later on but for now, these 2 are the main ones. Thanks in advance for your input.
The 8 or 12 amp selection is for 120V charging. There is no car setting for 240V, it just pulls what it and the EVSE agree that it can. 3 hour charge is nice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I didn’t realize there were no settings for the 220. Will hurt any if I limit the charge to say 15amps? I know it’ll take longer but to prolong the battery, it’ll dissipate some heat that the 32 amp produces cutting the battery charging temps to half. I’m not in a rush to charge once I get home. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier, 2016 Volt LT
134 Posts
The car will cool the battery if it's getting warm, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, for summer charging even at 120V you may notice your garage heating up, that's the AC running to cool the battery and the heat produced getting trapped in the garage. The car is protective against the battery getting too hot.

When you say limit, do you have a setting on your EVSE itself for current? If so, set it to whatever you please. I have one that's capable of 16 amp/240V, which is all my 2016 can use. Works great and is still charged in about 4 hours from empty.

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
478 Posts
Ok. I didn’t realize there were no settings for the 220. Will hurt any if I limit the charge to say 15amps? I know it’ll take longer but to prolong the battery, it’ll dissipate some heat that the 32 amp produces cutting the battery charging temps to half. I’m not in a rush to charge once I get home. Thanks again.
Cutting the current in half will reduce the rate of heat generation by 4x since P=I^2*R, but will take twice as long to charge. As far as the temperature, I would guess it will reduce the battery temp by one or two degrees at most? As Kato said, the car cools the battery, so don't worry. Another way of looking at it, the 2019 has a 6.6 or 7.2?kW on board charger. Cruising on the highway at 70MPH will likely use 20kW. Are you concerned about the kW throughput (and resulting battery heat) being too high while driving?

In theory, the lower current setting should be slightly more efficient (lower resistance losses), so if you are trying to be as efficient as possible, use the lower setting. Also, if you have other high power need appliances, and depending on your electrical service, (i.e. 100A service with may struggle to serve a 32A EVSE while you are roasting two turkeys in the 40A double oven while the 24A A/C is running keeping you cool while you soak in the 25A hot tub....) the lower setting may be a good idea. ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Another way of looking at it, the 2019 has a 6.6 or 7.2?kW on board charger. Cruising on the highway at 70MPH will likely use 20kW. Are you concerned about the kW throughput (and resulting battery heat) being too high while driving?
This is the answer here. 32A at 240V is 7.68kW max for the charger. Just the cabin heater running on max pulls that much from the battery. It is insignificant compared to the 50kW the traction motor can put back into the battery or the 100kW it can pull out of the battery...
(i.e. 100A service with may struggle to serve a 32A EVSE while you are roasting two turkeys in the 40A double oven while the 24A A/C is running keeping you cool while you soak in the 25A hot tub....)
That's why you upgrade to a 200A panel if you have that many high draw items like that in your house. And also why we have natural gas for a few of those functions. ;)

-Charlie

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,180 Posts
That's why you upgrade to a 200A panel if you have that many high draw items like that in your house. And also why we have natural gas for a few of those functions. ;)
In the not-distant future, we'll be comparing natural gas for those functions to having a diesel-fired stove. ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
In the not-distant future, we'll be comparing natural gas for those functions to having a diesel-fired stove. ;)
I think that future is still reasonably distant... until we stop using plastic and other non-fuel uses of petroleum products, we will still have 'waste' natural gas for a long time. And sufficient sources of electricity and electricity storage to replace those petroleum energy sources. I'm looking forward to it, but it will still be a painfully long time.

It was only a few years ago we replaced the wood burning cooking stove at the family cabin with propane... :D

-Charlie

Reactions: VOLTandaBOLT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all been lurking for a while now. I finally got my 2019 volt premier yesterday and had a few questions. So it pretty much has all the features except the lane departure. I’m also missing the wireless apple car play. Is there something I can do such as a software update or purchase an aftermarket part that allows me to use my iPhone wirelessly? Not much for cables. Also, on the voltage Status page on the display it shows a maximum charge rate option of 12amps. I installed a 220v 32 amp charger prior to getting the car. I thought there would be an option to adjust the charge voltage but it’s 8 and 12. It does charge at 32 amps I assume because it charges fully in ~3 hrs but I’m not sure why I don’t have the option to choose the amperage rating. I’ll probably have more questions later on but for now, these 2 are the main ones. Thanks in advance for your input.

Apple and Android are plug and play only you use the USB near the cig lighter to access those features, to be honest, I never use it with my droid. drains phone and does not charge it, I like the Bluetooth sound better with the bose system. If there is such thing as wireless apple play I have yet to see it in anyone vehicle. My phone charges with 30w cig charger tho usbs are too weak in car to charge phone, miss the USB in glove, back cig lighters don't work on mine no more. good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Apple and Android are plug and play only you use the USB near the cig lighter to access those features, to be honest, I never use it with my droid. drains phone and does not charge it, I like the Bluetooth sound better with the bose system. If there is such thing as wireless apple play I have yet to see it in anyone vehicle. My phone charges with 30w cig charger tho usbs are too weak in car to charge phone, miss the USB in glove, back cig lighters don't work on mine no more. good luck
i just picked up a Bluetooth usb device that transmits data from my phone to the display. Works ok but doesn’t “mirror” the phone. Only a select amount of apps are usable on the display. Also, you need to rely on voice recognition for most of the apps allowed to use. Kinda sucks they limit you but I guess it’s better then nothing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts