GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any utility to using dielectric grease on the fittings or will that just attract dirt?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
613 Posts
I wouldn't use it for the charge plug. Dielectric grease is insulating or non conductive so I especially don't recommend puting it on the electrical contacts.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I sprayed a little silicone spray around the edges of the socket so it wouldn't bind on the o-ring.
I did it once, five years ago and all has worked fine since.

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts
Is there any utility to using dielectric grease on the fittings or will that just attract dirt?
Thanks

Don't. My Volt is creeping up on 8 years and never needed any plug lube, etc. My Bolt EV is over a year, no need there either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have experience in a semi marine environment? I’m on the water.
And...dielectric grease is supposed to be an insulator...I keep a huge tub of it for my car and motorcycle push connections

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
You use dielectric grease on electrical connections to prevent wet or dry corrosion. I use it on every connection in my TR7 as the vehicles had open electrical connections that would corrode because of dampness or be attacked dry by acid in the air back in the day when gasoline had a higher sulphur content than allowed for past almost two decades. Current connections are sealed to prevent that. I wouldn't use it on wall plugs etc. No experience with marine applications (despite the fact I live less than a mile from marinas).

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Anyone have experience in a semi marine environment? I’m on the water.
And...dielectric grease is supposed to be an insulator...I keep a huge tub of it for my car and motorcycle push connections
It's only an insulator when it's thick -- it won't interfere with intentional electrical contacts. And corrosion will, which is what you use the grease to prevent. :)

And it's a good thing to have ina marine environment.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I must point out that .1 Ohms at 16 Amps is about 25 Watts. I don't know how much resistance non conductive grease will add but I don't want any. 25 Watts is a lot of heat and would cook the grease maybe turning it into something else.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Terrible idea. Dirt and anything near it will stick to it. No matter the environment. What happens when you have problems and GM tells you the warranty was denied because you wasted your time and grease on a plug that doesn’t need it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts