GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a dealer horror story or two, I purchased a 2018 Satin Steel Metallic Premier on Thursday. I think I'm happy! I'm waiting for a quote for the level 2 charger installation. My commute round trip is just under 50 miles, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Congrats! Welcome aboard. Looks like a good color from the pictures, be sure to post your impressions. Is this your first Volt? If not, what car did you turn in?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Welcome and enjoy it - I am sure you will. As to your charger: if you are the least bit technically capable you can probably do the install and the wiring yourself as long as you follow the electrical code and keep safe. You can also buy OpenEVSE Level 2 charger kits for half the price of many charge controllers out there...

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on the car. Assuming you have a 120v outlet on a circuit without much on it, you can take your time on the 240v EVSE. You can get 5 miles an hours, so an overnight charge should do it for you. A 240v charge is twice as fast, so it's nice, but it's not strictly necessary with the Volt.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Congratulations on the new Volt ! It is a fine car and I think a 50 mile round trip commute should be very doable depending on temp and terrain. But it is not a bad thing to run the ICE for at least a little bit on each trip.
I thought about putting in a 240 circuit in the garage, but frankly we haven't needed it because we always seem to have plenty of time to get a full charge overnight @12 Amps on 120. If I ever get my Tesla then I'll upgrade to 240 dedicated circuit.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
You will be able to fully charge your Volt in 13 hours at the 110V/12 amp setting. It will take just 4.5 hours using 240V/16 amp Level II charging.

Even if you can't wait for your Volt to fully complete charging each night you will be able to drive ~ 75 - 80% electric as long as you can charge for 10 hours each evening (Sunday - Thursday.) You did not say whether your weekend driving is more or less than your 50 mile weekday commute.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats! Welcome aboard. Looks like a good color from the pictures, be sure to post your impressions. Is this your first Volt? If not, what car did you turn in?
This is my first Volt. I traded in a 2015 GMC Canyon topping out at about 18mpg, so I expect this to be life-changing. :) I'm having the ChargePoint installed today. I quickly discovered that the 52 miles of battery estimated vanished rapidly when cruising 85mpg on the toll road with AC on, but that's to be expected, I believe.

Overall, it's a very cool car, but there's a weird hump behind the right side of the steering wheel next to the volume paddles that is driving me nuts. I hate to take it to service for that, but...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats on the car. Assuming you have a 120v outlet on a circuit without much on it, you can take your time on the 240v EVSE. You can get 5 miles an hours, so an overnight charge should do it for you. A 240v charge is twice as fast, so it's nice, but it's not strictly necessary with the Volt.
I get home around 5 and leave around 5:30, so I can never quite get a full charge that way. The ChargePoint gets put in today. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts