GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my third Volt. I took delivery of a 2018 about 2 weeks ago and I'm having a problem where for no reason I get a random sequence of 4 chimes. It could happen with only me in the car (and nothing on the seats) or me and a passenger (with belts buckled). There's NO warning displayed on the dash. It could happen once then stop. It could go three times then stop. I can't narrow down why it's happening.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
It does remind me of a passenger seat belt reminder, but it sounds like you have tried to rule that out. The warning light for that may be on the overhead console (at least it is in Gen 1). Try to set that off on purpose. There could be a faulty sensor that is setting it off.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Certainly sounds like a seatbelt warning. That has gone off for me sometimes with just my cell phone on the passenger seat but it sounds like you’ve already ruled that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Parking proximity sensor? Although that should show a graphic on the DIC on the instrument panel.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those were things I though of but I don't think it's any of them. I tried turning the lane deviation off and it still randomly chimes. My next move is to buckle all the belts with no passengers and see what happens.

It's frustrating that the dealer thinks because it didn't happen in the 5 miles they drove it that there's no problem.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Could it be the lane departure warning beep?
When I come home and take my offramp, sometimes I don't follow the lines exactly and cut the fogline angle and I get a brief alert and I do feel a brief stiffness in the wheel. All happens in less than a sec.

I also found the collision alert sometimes is sensitive to reflections or other situations that I could sometimes repeat at certain locations on my route home, but in those situations I get the red lighs at the base of the windshield.

I remember some forum members complained of ice or dirt on the front proximity sensors but as "nrvous' mentioned you would see and alert on the DIC.

Anyway, there is my 2cnets based on your description. Good luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think lane deviation and front collision give a different sound then the seatbelt type chime...

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Certainly sounds like a seatbelt warning. That has gone off for me sometimes with just my cell phone on the passenger seat but it sounds like you’ve already ruled that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they haven't ruled it out. They've ruled out that it's a _correct_ seatbelt warning.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mine chimes 4 times when someone opens the passenger door. Could it be one of the door open/close switches intermittently acting up?

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts