GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I LOVE my volt!!!!! It's everything I wanted in a car and I love the technology. GM did a fantastic job.

I traded my 2015 silverado 1500 LT (I liked the truck but it wasn't for me) for the volt and the only thing I miss is the leather steering wheel. That polyurethane feel of the volt is not great. As far as I can see, here are my options:
- buy a kit online (patch of leather, stitching) and do it myself: no need to muck around with the steering wheel and low cost
- buy a non heated steering wheel for my 2018 model (Steering Wheel - GM (84392142)) but it does not seemt o come with leather so no.
- buy a previous model's steering wheel with leather, I think, (Steering Wheel - GM (84072225)) but why does the part store say it will not fit a 2018 model?
- hunt for junk yards parts from a 2018 chevy cruze with leather

Did anyone here add leather to their steering wheel? I liked the standard chevy kind and it can get cold here in south east PA (West Chester).

T.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If I was in the same position, I'd start with trying to find one in a salvage yard. As long as the was at it, I'd make it a factory heated unit. I'm pretty sure the harness is in place

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Looking in online salvage yards sites, heated units are about $200. Maybe I'll do it after I install the illuminated charge port I ordered last week.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I put a "wheelskin" on my Astra that I had before the Volt. It was decent,and most people thought it was a factory install, but I was always critical of my work, and eventually swapped it for a factory leather wheel when one came available. It was also very hard work to stitch the leather onto the wheel (and painful to pull the binding tight). I would also vote to check salvage like www.car-part.com. It should be an easy swap to a leather wheel. On my Astra, it was just a couple spring clips to remove the airbag, a few connectors, and a large nut to remove the wheel. It was less time than stitching a wheel. I've attached a photo of my wheelskin on my Astra. This was a photo after it was installed for a while and stretched to fit the wheel. It takes a couple months after install to really fit the wheel nicely.
2012-05-30_07-16-46_6591.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
I put a "wheelskin" on my Astra that I had before the Volt. It was decent,and most people thought it was a factory install, but I was always critical of my work, and eventually swapped it for a factory leather wheel when one came available. It was also very hard work to stitch the leather onto the wheel (and painful to pull the binding tight). I would also vote to check salvage like www.car-part.com. It should be an easy swap to a leather wheel. On my Astra, it was just a couple spring clips to remove the airbag, a few connectors, and a large nut to remove the wheel. It was less time than stitching a wheel. I've attached a photo of my wheelskin on my Astra. This was a photo after it was installed for a while and stretched to fit the wheel. It takes a couple months after install to really fit the wheel nicely.
View attachment 156293
Been there, done that. Wheelskin install was tedious, helped along by wearing buckskin gloves to pull the stitching tight.

I liked it, though, as the feel was great, and every time I drove the car, the feeling of satisfaction far outweighed the tedious install.

It's a whole lot cheaper than a wheel swap...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Been there, done that. Wheelskin install was tedious, helped along by wearing buckskin gloves to pull the stitching tight.

I liked it, though, as the feel was great, and every time I drove the car, the feeling of satisfaction far outweighed the tedious install.

It's a whole lot cheaper than a wheel swap...
Yeah, I had no issues with the quality of the leather in the Wheelskin kit. It was very nice feeling leather... certainly better than the factory leather wheel in the Astra. I just didn't like the way it interfaced with the wheel at one spot where I couldn't tuck it under controls, and I had a spot where I didn't tighten a stitch well enough, so it always bothered me, but looked fine for others. It's cheaper, but I'd estimate around 2 hours of install time for it, and it's not easy work.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My 2014 Ford Transit Connect van came with a leather interior, but NOT the leather wheel. I found an OEM one on eBay for $125 and swapped it for my original one. Gained the buttons for controlling the stereo too. I sold my original wheel for $75 to someone who had a base model and wanted a wheel with the cruise control buttons on it. Best $50 upgrade I ever made. If you live where it gets cold, the heated wheel is the cat's pajamas!!

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts