GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of my second Volt - 2017 Premier Gen2 model. I always loved the Volt from the first time I drove it years ago. I always said they'd pry it from my cold dead hands - well that wasn't quite true. Just took a newer one to do it! Now, here is my advice to anyone buying one for the first time, or someone looking to replace an older model with a new one. There are a lot of differences between the two cars. I had only done a short test drive of the newer model before I signed on the dotted line and my dealer had to get my car from another dealer because I was looking for specific options and color. My first impression when I drove it was that as nice as my 13 was, the 17 is so much better. The two cars drive totally different to me. I had 36,000 miles on my 13 - of which 90-95% was on electric. But the new one just feels heavier, nicer, and more polished. There are a few things I'm still trying to figure out on MyLink, but I'll get there (like how to display all the songs on my USB drive so I can scroll down through them and choose what I want to hear). But the biggest omission that I was SO disappointed to see was the deletion of the Homelink! I hadn't noticed it until I got my new one home and discovered that it wasn't there! So I am going to buy a unit from Mito Homelink and install it myself. Thanks to the owner who posted the installation of it with all the photos!!!! That should make it easy for me and makes me feel more comfortable doing it myself. And it will look like it came from the factory with it (which it should have!) The regen paddle on the steering wheel is gimmicky to me, and I'm sure the hypermilers love it (I'm not one of them). I just drive it like any other car I've had and when the gas engine comes on, it comes on - big deal. I think the buttons for changing the display and running through some of the menus on the steering wheel are just not worth much, I'll probably rarely use them. There's not that much in the menus that I've found that I'd want to change that often, so why take up real estate on the wheel for that? I LOVE the blue ambient lighting in mine (on the doors only). That's very cool. My car is Kinetic Blue, and that color is awesome. The only thing better would have been some shade of purple/lavender like my other car - 65 Corvair Corsa convertible. So now I have two groundbreaking Chevy's. For those who don't know, the Corvair was all new for the 65 model year and it was the first unibody car, the first to have fully independent suspension and the first and only domestic rear engine air cooled vehicle. Though my Volt will easily outrun it. HA

I love the supple leather in the new car, I always hated that they cheaped out on the interior of the 13. That leather suedy stuff in the seats was really starting to wear on my drivers seat and the rest of the leather (if there was any) was much harder to the touch. The new interior is very nice and luxurious - more in keeping with the upscale character of the car in my opinion. I think the Bose radio in the 13 was better and had more bass, even with it turned all the way up in my 17, but that's really a minor quibble. I am not sure whether my Samsung Note 4 will charge in the pocket, but I'll being trying that out. I have a case on mine which actually makes it just a little bit wider, so that may not work for me. I'd bet that if I had the Galaxy S7, it would work though as it's not as big. The glovebox is far better on my 17, so there was an improvement. The 17 is quieter and so is the gas engine (I've not heard mine yet, but I did hear it on my test drive of the black one the dealer had). I could barely hear it even if I dipped into the accelerator. My 13 would sound like you were killing it if you gave it a lot of acclerator while it was running. So the new engine is definitely an improvement from what I experienced. They deleted the turn signals on the mirrors, not a big deal, though I did think they looked nice. The headlights on the 17 are FAR brighter. They shine much farther down the road and in a wider pattern, so that is a big help. I think the HVAC system was more powerful on the 13 and seemed like it cooled it down quicker. I'm in Florida, so in the Summer, that's important down here. But I'll see if my opinion of it differs as I get more time in the seat.

I have only driven it three times so far, but I'm sure many more things will stand out to me as I go along. Love Love Love the car though. I think they took what was really good about the 13 and kept most of it, and improved most of what needed help. Just wish they'd have kept that homelink. But I'm glad I can do it myself and get it back.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts