GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was excited as I am sure most of you were to finally having an electric car. I drove a friend around picked up my kid from the movies. I have a 15 mile drive to work so I pulled in the garage and plugged in the charger. It turned green then flashed red. We have a detached garage, but it has been updated in the last 6 years with new wiring and GFCI outlets. I tried it in the plus inside and on a couple external plugs and it changes color a couple times but then turns green. I tested the ground with a volt (no pun intended) tester and it tested just fine. Has anyone else had this error with the charger? If so how did you fix it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Have you confirmed the receptacles in the garage with a tester recently? Plug-in style testers are available at Home Depot to confirm wiring. Check/confirm wiring connections at the receptacle.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The EVSE is itself a GFCI. I've seen posts that some users report trouble with their GFCI outlets, although I just tested 3 myself without issue (plugged into 120VAC but, not during charge).

You also mention a detached garage. A long cable run to the garage can cause voltage drop with the 1000W load (Volt) at the end. When Not charging the voltmeter will only see the no load voltage, which will be fine. Under load, there will be a drop, depends on length of wire, wire gauge, and condition of connections.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having an issue. Not exactly sure what is happening. The charger is in the car. The EVSE is the charge cord. If the charge cord threw an error when you plugged it in into the outlet, try plugging it into an outlet in the house. If it threw the error when you plugged it into the car, make sure you're charging at the lower amp rate. Then try another outlet.

The EVSE aren't the greatest but they usually don't fail out of the box.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
We have two outlets at my son's house and we see exactly what you are describing on one. Our Leaf also will not charge on this outlet. The other outlet is fine and can be used for either car. The Electrician tells us the "bad" outlet has a ground fault and recommended rewiring. The cars set up for rate has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I was excited as I am sure most of you were to finally having an electric car....plugged in the charger. It turned green then flashed red. ... I tried it in the plus inside and on a couple external plugs and it changes color a couple times but then turns green....Has anyone else had this error with the charger? If so how did you fix it?
first : welcome to the Forum
Second- welcome to the Great Volt driving experience, the best small sedan at any price and the best kept secret in the automobile world.

finally- your EVSE/Charge cord test the circuit in several ways before deciding that it is save to provide power to the Car plug (the J1772 plug) the problem could be any of several, so its probabaly best to have an electrician look at it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Outlet replacement might help

I had the same issue at a remote location and finally determined that the ground on the receptacle was dirty or corroded. If your handy, try installing a new commercial rated receptacle (15 or 20 amp depending on wire gauge and circuit breaker rating). Use the screw terminals not the quick install holes. Don't forget to turn off the circuit breaker before you start the process!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cooper-Wiring-Devices-Commercial-Grade-15-Amp-Duplex-Receptacle-with-LED-Indicators-White-5250WS/203595341

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cooper-Wiring-Devices-20-Amp-Tamper-and-Weather-Resistant-Electrical-Duplex-Outlet-White-TWRBR20W-SPL/203492706?N=5yc1vZc33aZ1z1170vZ1z11yyo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts