GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volt driver door.jpg Volt passenger door.jpg

Hi, I just purchased a new 2014 Volt two days ago and am really excited to own this car- it drives super smooth. But I noticed a misalignment in the passenger side interior door panel, especially when compared to the driver's side. It's a small misalignment but it really bothers me because this is a new car and I expect more. I have attached pictures.

This is my first Chevy and my first American car in over 20 years. So my question is, is this amount of variance in fit/finish normal for a Chevy Volt?

thanks!

·
4,852 Posts
That does seem a bit more than normal tolerances. The dealer should be able to adjust the door for you, I would think.

·
Registered
330 Posts
First, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Volt!

Not sure how "normal" it is, but my 2011 Volt has a similar alignment issue, only on the driver's side, where the "Instrument Panel Upper Outer Trim Panel" (the pad with the colored stripe that sits on top of the instrument panel) sits slightly higher than the colored part molded into the door panel when the door is closed. I can press down on the instrument panel to make it and the door align, but it goes back when I release pressure on it.

It may just be a simple adjustment, but I didn't find it worth my time to have it adjusted by the dealer, so I've just left it as is.

Your photos look like if the upper outer trim panel were adjusted just a bit higher, it would align with the door panel. Perhaps it (or the door panel) can be adjusted to align more closely by your dealer. I'd suggest living with the car for awhile and make notes of anything you'd like to have checked the next time you take your Volt in for a tire rotation. Take your list with you and have it addressed at that time.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'd take it back and have the dealer figure out what's misaligned and fix it. Might not be the outer door, and may be the dash. Would hate to have the dash come lose and start a rattle on a car that drives me nuts just having winter tires on it. Can't wait for spring and nice, quiet driving again..
Anyways, they should be able to measure the metal gaps and see if the door was attached incorrectly.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Yes, it's the dash, GTNator. I had the same issue. Mine was off by about 1/8 inch and bothered my sense of order. lol. The dealer had to call GM, but they did get the info needed to make the adjustment and mine is now spot on. Mine was done back in May of 2011.

·
Registered
34 Posts
my 2013 volt had the same problem and was out by about the same amount. I had it fixed at the first service. Mine was in the passenger side door (which is the drivers side in the US).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Definitely trim issue. My 2011 had a problem with the door trim panel being higher than the dash panel. The dealer replaced the door panel and all is well for the last two years.

3,600 Posts
View attachment 42817 View attachment 42825

Hi, I just purchased a new 2014 Volt two days ago and am really excited to own this car- it drives super smooth. But I noticed a misalignment in the passenger side interior door panel, especially when compared to the driver's side. It's a small misalignment but it really bothers me because this is a new car and I expect more. I have attached pictures.

This is my first Chevy and my first American car in over 20 years. So my question is, is this amount of variance in fit/finish normal for a Chevy Volt?

thanks!
Good Morning GTNator,

I apologize for the misalignment in your Volt. I recommend contacting your Dedicated Advisor. They will be able to speak to your servicing dealership on your behalf. If you are unsure of who your Advisor is please PM me the Last Eight of your VIN and the Best way to be Reached.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi, I just purchased a new 2014 Volt two days ago and am really excited to own this car- it drives super smooth. But I noticed a misalignment in the passenger side interior door panel, especially when compared to the driver's side. [/QUOTE]

My driver's door is mis-aligned like this. I never noticed it before. Now I'm sure I'll never be able to ignore it! Arggghh!

·
Registered
142 Posts
My drivers and passenger side panels are not aligned as precisely as your drivers door but neither are they as far misaligned as your passenger door. It is annoying. I'll request for mine to be fixed when I take it in for its first service.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That does seem a bit more than normal tolerances. The dealer should be able to adjust the door for you, I would think.
If the door seams are equal all around to the body then it is not the door, just trim panel or dash as other's have posted.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah my 2012 is about the same on the passenger side, but it never bothered me to the point of worrying about it. It's been that way for two years and will still be that way when I turn it in off lease at the end of the year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a similar alignment, but mine is around the "leaf button" near the driver's right knee. It's so off, it casts a shadow over the button. I can mash it down with my finger and everything looks okay, but it just springs back as soon as I take my finger away.

I had no idea Chevy would actually do anything about this, but now I might call up my Volt helper to set up an apt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts