GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I signed up on this site a few weeks ago as a non-volt owner to check out peoples thoughts on the car, I have never considered purchasing an american car before, I always buy Honda/Toyota but the VOLT really interested me like no other car I ever bought previously and yesterday I made my purchase, white with safety 1 & 2! I really like the car, easily the most fun I have ever had driving, my previous car which I still have is an accord.

Unfortunately, my enthusiasm was a bit muted today when I discovered fluid on the garage floor, it looks like it could be the fluid I see in the one of the reservoirs in the engine compartment, but since my garage floor is not painted and just plain cement I can't be sure (hard to tell exact color of fluid), but the fluid is definitely oil based. No alarms from the car and it runs fine, I logged into OnStar and diagnostics are clear. I also noticed small pools of fluid inside the motor/engine compartment, I'm unable to discern where it is coming from, it almost seems like it is seeping up from the metal casings of a few motor components. I know it is not really seeping up but I don't see any leaks from hose fittings etc.

Has anyone seen this before? I will attach a couple of photos, the two photos are from non-adjacent areas in the engine compartment and hose fittings are dry. Not sure if it is related to the fluid I see on garage floor or I have two issues going on, the fluid on the floor looks like it is coming from lower areas in the engine compartment when I look under the car.

I have read about Volt advisors and will find out who mine is and I left message with my dealer.

Thanks for any feedback everyone and I hope it is something very minor.

fluid2.JPG fluid1.JPG

Volt owner for 24 hours, 209 miles, 2013 Summit white.

·
Administrator
20,453 Posts
This is what a warranty is for. Blot the floor with a paper towel. Take it to the dealer with the car and have them check it out.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Hard to tell from the photos, but I would guess it's one of the coolant reservoirs. I would get it to the dealer ASAP, but it's probably something simple like a loose hose.

·
Registered
455 Posts
We had the same on our 2013. Dealer said the wrong type of clamp was used on a certain hose and replaced it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Same happened to me in the first month of ownership. Dealer replaced a hose clamp in less than an hour, and the car hasn't leaked since (over 9 months).

3,605 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I signed up on this site a few weeks ago as a non-volt owner to check out peoples thoughts on the car, I have never considered purchasing an american car before, I always buy Honda/Toyota but the VOLT really interested me like no other car I ever bought previously and yesterday I made my purchase, white with safety 1 & 2! I really like the car, easily the most fun I have ever had driving, my previous car which I still have is an accord.

Unfortunately, my enthusiasm was a bit muted today when I discovered fluid on the garage floor, it looks like it could be the fluid I see in the one of the reservoirs in the engine compartment, but since my garage floor is not painted and just plain cement I can't be sure (hard to tell exact color of fluid), but the fluid is definitely oil based. No alarms from the car and it runs fine, I logged into OnStar and diagnostics are clear. I also noticed small pools of fluid inside the motor/engine compartment, I'm unable to discern where it is coming from, it almost seems like it is seeping up from the metal casings of a few motor components. I know it is not really seeping up but I don't see any leaks from hose fittings etc.

Has anyone seen this before? I will attach a couple of photos, the two photos are from non-adjacent areas in the engine compartment and hose fittings are dry. Not sure if it is related to the fluid I see on garage floor or I have two issues going on, the fluid on the floor looks like it is coming from lower areas in the engine compartment when I look under the car.

I have read about Volt advisors and will find out who mine is and I left message with my dealer.

Thanks for any feedback everyone and I hope it is something very minor.

View attachment 27802 View attachment 27810

Volt owner for 24 hours, 209 miles, 2013 Summit white.
Phantom,

I replied to your PM if you haven't read it yet.

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies. I talked with an advisor and dropped the car off at a local dealership (the dealer where I bought it is over 100 miles away). Hopefully I'll hear something positive tomorrow and I'll be on my way to enjoying my Volt again!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Looks like Dex-Cool. From what others are saying it will be a quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi Everyone,

The country thanks you for deciding to keep those American dollars here. Your children and grandchildren will also thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

The leak was the result of an incorrectly installed O ring on the coolant hose for the transmission. Dealer fixed it and I have my Volt back!

The service I received from the Volt Advisor has been very good, not sure if this service from GM is typical but I"m very impressed, much better than the dealer. I think the local dealer where I'm at could use some work on their customer service. I'm happy to be driving the Volt again and looking forward to years of trouble free service!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The country thanks you for deciding to keep those American dollars here. Your children and grandchildren will also thank you.
I agree, it is great to spend a big purchase on an American car as long it is reliable.

If the Volt does prove long term reliable, GM will have me as a repeat customer for another Volt or GM car using Voltec. I think the Volt is the most enjoyable car I've ever had to drive, it does feel like a quality automobile and the engineers and the GM employees on the assembly line should be very proud of the car. After reading Consumer Reports and the many good things on this forum and the support I saw from Ian and Volt Advisors is what influenced my decision to make my first American car purchase. I can't overstate the influence of this board on my decision, I researched the Volt more than any car in the past, it was a tough decision to make the break from a Japanese car because they have always been reliable for me. That said, no car I have ever owned has been as much fun to drive as the Volt and I've only had the car a few days. I really look forward to driving it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I agree, it is great to spend a big purchase on an American car as long it is reliable.
It sounds like you have had great luck with your prior automobile purchases. I submit that luck is a big factor.

Having spent many years in the semiconductor capital equipment business, I can assure you that consistent reliability is hard-achieved. We were awarded a multi-million-dollar contract from a national industry consortium (SEMI) to improve the reliability of our own machines. What was the goal? Get our mean-time-between-fail (MTBF) from about 200 hours (<10 days) to 1500 hours (about two months). Despite an enormous round-the-clock effort involving dozens of experienced engineers, designers, and programmers, we only achieved 1000 hours MTBF. But that was considered a huge success.

I marvel at the reliability of modern automobiles. These are extremely complicated machines; with dozens of process controllers and hundreds of sensors. Somehow they often hit MTBF of several thousand hours. That number just staggers me.

3,605 Posts
Update:

The leak was the result of an incorrectly installed O ring on the coolant hose for the transmission. Dealer fixed it and I have my Volt back!

The service I received from the Volt Advisor has been very good, not sure if this service from GM is typical but I"m very impressed, much better than the dealer. I think the local dealer where I'm at could use some work on their customer service. I'm happy to be driving the Volt again and looking forward to years of trouble free service!
Good Morning Phantom! ,

Glad to hear it was a quick visit and you are back behind the wheel of your Volt! Don't forget to call if you have any questions or require any assistance!

3,605 Posts

If the Volt does prove long term reliable, GM will have me as a repeat customer for another Volt or GM car using Voltec. I think the Volt is the most enjoyable car I've ever had to drive, it does feel like a quality automobile and the engineers and the GM employees on the assembly line should be very proud of the car. After reading Consumer Reports and the many good things on this forum and the support I saw from Ian and Volt Advisors is what influenced my decision to make my first American car purchase. I can't overstate the influence of this board on my decision, I researched the Volt more than any car in the past, it was a tough decision to make the break from a Japanese car because they have always been reliable for me. That said, no car I have ever owned has been as much fun to drive as the Volt and I've only had the car a few days. I really look forward to driving it.
Phantom,

On behalf of myself and the Advisor Team, thank you very much for your kind words.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I think the Volt is the most enjoyable car I've ever had to drive, it does feel like a quality automobile and the engineers and the GM employees on the assembly line should be very proud of the car. After reading Consumer Reports and the many good things on this forum and the support I saw from Ian and Volt Advisors is what influenced my decision to make my first American car purchase.
One of the most promising things I see as a GM employee with the new management of GM. They see social media as a mechanism to get in touch with our customers and get their problems fixed. We truly are getting customer focused on the product side while keeping the focus on profitability on the business side. We have to have both!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts