GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hi. I just picked up my 2013 Volt - Blue yesterday, and am absolutely loving it. Especially driving in sport mode and "L", which I read from these forums is a fun option. Torque is incredible. Just an amazing car. It's replacing a 2013 Passat lease, which I liked, but I told VW that they better make amends and make a range-extended plug in before I'd ever consider buying from them again.

I really struggled with the size, because I often have business folks I need to drive around, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised. Even without the 5th seat, I packed 4 adults in fairly comfortably today.

I'm interested to know all the tips and tricks. I had a dedicated 20 amp 120v line put in the front of my house (no garage) and just figured out how to set it to charge at 12 amp vs 8, so hopefully I can get a full charge overnight now. How many people have 240v chargers?

Happy to be here.

·
4,852 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I have a 240V charger, but for the most part, a 120V would suit me just fine. It depends on how much "opportunity charging" you may want to try to do between getting home from work and needing to go back out again, for example.

Many use 120V without any trouble, as long as the outlet is not cheap. If it is cheap, the contacts don't always work well and the outlet and plug can get very hot, which is why the default 8A setting is there now. ;)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I'm interested to know all the tips and tricks. How many people have 240v chargers?
First tip is read the manual :) The link to a PDF version is in my signature.

I have a 240v EVSE (second tip, the charger is inside the car). :) I would guess 50% or so have the 240v EVSE. I think there was a poll here on it once. It is beneficial if you charge only at home and make frequent trips out. If you drive to work and back the only advantage is on holidays and weekends when you go out and back for errands.

Since you have a 2013 another tip is to see my signatures of known issues.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you folks. I just discovered the re-set from 12 to 8 amp charging. I pulled up to the house, set it for 12 amp, then realized I was a few feet short. Got back in, turned it on again, pulled it forward, and plugged it in. I now realize that it re-sets to 8 amp charging whenever you put it into park I guess, so I inadvertently re-set it. I'll try again tonight to see if I can get it recharged.

2VoltFamily I'll check the known issues, but I think I need to post more, since some of the signature says 'hidden content' right now and I don't see the link. Day 3 and I still love my car.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Welcome aboard, yes the amp charging has to be set each and every time you. Real pain for sure but unavoidable. Enjoy your new Volt, they're great vehicles. I just purchased the 2017 model myself and loving it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Bienvenidos,

Yeah the 8 amp thing is my only complaint . My 2012 didn't have this problem .

·
Registered
638 Posts
so true, I gave my 2012 to my son and purchased this 2017, miss the charging system and hard drive with video campability...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Thanks both of you folks. I just discovered the re-set from 12 to 8 amp charging. I pulled up to the house, set it for 12 amp, then realized I was a few feet short. Got back in, turned it on again, pulled it forward, and plugged it in. I now realize that it re-sets to 8 amp charging whenever you put it into park I guess, so I inadvertently re-set it. I'll try again tonight to see if I can get it recharged.

2VoltFamily I'll check the known issues, but I think I need to post more, since some of the signature says 'hidden content' right now and I don't see the link. Day 3 and I still love my car.
Not sure how it works for Newbs. I will post it here in the body and see if you can see the links.

Gen 1 EVSE 120V to 240V upgrade http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?201866-Volt-and-Spark-EV-EVSE-upgrade-to-L1-L2-combo
Gen 2 EVSE 120V to 240V upgrade
Chevy Manuals http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/chevy-manuals.html
Volt FAQ http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?105553-Chevy-Volt-Owners-Forum-FAQ-s
2013 No Cabin Heat? Perform a forum search on each of the following: PIC5796 PIC5943 PIC5855
2013 Losing Miles? Perform a forum search for the following: PIC6138
2011-2014 PS Stick PIC14242
Issues contact a Volt Advisor 877-486-5846

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The benefits and cost of setting up level 2 charging can vary a lot depending on your situation. I thought I would want it, but after living with the car for a while, I realized it is not very useful for me. The charging I do at home is overnight charging 99% of the time, so the speed would not make a difference. A lot of owners are fine with Level 1 charging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks - yeah, I'm going to try living on 120 for a bit (at 12 amp) to see if that works for me. I can only charge at home also. Definitely 12 amp charging is an improvement over 8.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks 2VoltFamily - I can see the posts in the body, but the signature still says 'hidden content'. I'll see if anything changes when/if I ever outgrow 'newb' status. I am interested to read your upgrade method, though. I'm not unfamiliar with a soldering iron, and I'm a cheapskate also, so I appreciate the heads up.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Thanks 2VoltFamily - I can see the posts in the body, but the signature still says 'hidden content'. I'll see if anything changes when/if I ever outgrow 'newb' status. I am interested to read your upgrade method, though. I'm not unfamiliar with a soldering iron, and I'm a cheapskate also, so I appreciate the heads up.
It is not my upgrade but I have done it after ChrisTX showed us how.

·
Registered
41 Posts
welcome aboard! I too am just over a week of ownership. Loving it so far except for the few minor service hiccups. =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts