GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had the volt for a week, and I really do love it. But, I'm just wondering about mileage issues.

First, my car is 3 years old, 26,000 miles. When 'fully charged' the battery reads '36 miles'. Is that what most people get for that age car on electric? I know I've heard some who have gotten better, for certain.

Second, I drove about 30-31 miles round trip today, 70% of which was highway at 55-65 mph. I just about made it back to my house when the motor turned on, so lets say I got 30-33 miles (depending on google maps vs car mileage). I had the heat turned on very briefly, fwiw. Drive and normal mode the whole time. Not too much stop and go.

Questions for those with this car - is this normal? How would I get 36 miles- drive slower? Overinflate the tires?

I still like the car and expect the battery to lose charge over time. I also think I've gotten better mileage before, maybe it was because of excessive highway speeds? Just curious

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
That's not out of line, even if the car were brand new. Ambient temperature matters a lot, as does heat use. Also the number of trips per charge.

At 26K miles, your Volt battery probably still performs as new. In ideal ambient conditions you'll probably get over 40 miles per charge on some days. In the winter don't be surprised if it drops closer to 20 miles.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Also check that after driving the car from a fully charged battery to a depleted one (Engine switching on), the kWh used in the energy screen is around 10.8 kWh.
That will confirm your battery is fully charging at its normal level.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are these original tires? What pressure?

What air temp while driving?

Windy?

Headlights on?

Driving technique? (sports car vs granny)
Tires=used
Pressure=35 psi roughly
Temp=50s Fahrenheit
Windy=not really
Headlights=I have it set on 'auto' and it was hazy. Don't know if the lights were on. How would I turn them off?
Technique=granny

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Gen2, so my EV range is greater, but driving at 55-65 mph will decrease my range anywhere from 10-20% less than driving on suburban streets at 35-45 mph. Just the way it works

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Technique will also come into the question of whether you're driving more at 35, 55, or 75 MPH, over the last 150 miles or so of driving. The Volt gets FAR better range under 60 MPH than over. Give it some heavy traffic, the kind where you creep along at 30 for a quarter or half mile then stop for a few seconds, and a Gen 1 can stretch out to 40+ miles AER/MPG pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Your range will depend on driving style and many other factors. My wife is able to get more EV miles out of our 2013's than I do. However, she constantly adjusts the HVAC temperature controls and turns it off frequently.

I drive more like I do with my old ICE. I turn on the AC and leave it set without changing it. Sometimes I coast and take my foot off the accelerator but mostly keep it in one position so going down hill I end up over the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Think of the battery as a fuel tank that holds about the same amount of electric fuel each time you "fill the tank" by fully recharging the battery. Your mileage depends on you.

A Gen 1 Volt can go about as far on a full charge as on a gallon of gas. After only a week, you haven’t yet adjusted to starting your day with a display estimating how far you can go on your "one gallon of fuel." The current number is based on data reflecting how the previous owner drove it. Drive it around a while so the computer can learn how to estimate how far you can drive on a full charge. By the by, the center display has a Usage Screen that can tell you how many electric miles, kWh Used, and gas miles you’ve gone since the last full recharge.

A range estimate is a computerized estimate of how far you can drive using the available fuel. The computer’s estimate is based on how you drive and how much of that fuel you use for other purposes (heat, a/c, lights, windshield wipers, etc. - usually this use consumes more of the available power during the colder seasons of the year).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello If all other factors are the same speed will have a linear relation to EV miles. There is a good graph that shows this relation on one of the threads. 35-45 MPH should give best mileage on a country highway. I have yet to fully prove this as doing less then 55MPH I get buzzed by lots of cars, real close to the car. The 3 times I got over 48 EV miles was going slower, averaging about 40-55mph. After the ICE turns on on the way home, its back in the car pool lane at 75-80MPH

I have a Gen2, so my EV range is greater, but driving at 55-65 mph will decrease my range anywhere from 10-20% less than driving on suburban streets at 35-45 mph. Just the way it works

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I'll need to spend more time driving to get a complete sense of the car, but that gives me some ideas. I guess I should pump up my tires a bit also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts