GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2020 Bolt
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have a '13 Volt that I love and it got me into EVs. Now it has a driveway companion. Went looking at the Bolt LT with just DC fast charge and heated seats/wheel, and was going to get either Kinetic Blue or Cayenne Orange. The local dealer had one of each color with just hose options. But when we got to the dealership my wife saw one in the showroom in Oasis and had to have that color...

So we drove the one on the lot in Kinetic Blue with just the heated seats/wheel and loved it. But they didn't have the Oasis with just those options (the one pictured above had just the DC fast charge, but no heated seats/wheel). They did have one in Oasis that had the DC fast charge, heated seats/wheel AND the driver confidence packages (another grand in cost), but we really didn't want all those driver aids. They said they'd sell it to us for the same cost as the no driver aids version we drove, so we agreed and it followed us home. So now we have the Bolt and the Volt.

Spent the weekend driven all over southern MD with it, and even after 4 hours on the backroads around Deale, MD and the western Chesapeake, we still had just under half the battery charge when we got home to Pikesville, MD. I knew from driving the Volt that what seems like not much range actually covers a lot of ground, but it's still kind of eye opening just how far the Bolt's range encompasses, even in colder weather. With the current incentives from GM it's a no-brainer to choose the Bolt, either as a purchase OR a lease.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I traded mt 2012 Topaz Blue for my Bolt almost 3 years ago but that is my favorite new color. Good luck with your new ride.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
That's a striking color for sure. We drive our 2017 Bolt every day, it's our preferred car. Still drive the 2011 Volt a few days a week.

Like you, the Volt showed me how much range I actually needed and I was therefore very comfortable that the Bolt's range would provide all we needed with plenty left over even in winter. And that is still the case. When the Volt needs to be replaced, another Bolt will be on the consideration list.

The Volt is a great gateway drug on the road to BEV.

Enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Looks like 2020 Corvette Rapid Blue.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I still like the Shock color better, but that's ... really appealing.

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2020 Bolt
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a bit greener/tealer in person than the Corvette blue, and just a white roof away from being a very '50s color combo. When I first saw it in the dealer ads for the car, it looked off. But in person, and after spending time with it, it's really a striking color.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congratulations! You are going to love never going to the gas station and the lack of maintenance. We own 2017 and 2019 Bolts and wouldn’t trade them for anything.

·
Registered
Chevy, Volt 2013
20 Posts
I'm glad you are liking it. I am slowly getting pulled in myself. I can't say I can get used to the giant TV screen in the middle though.... I dunno just me. I have to say even better than the car and the color I have to say hat's off to your signature! That is so true and hilarious and sad at the same time! Thank you on both points.

I have to ask. I have a 50 mile commute sometimes in 0 degree F weather at the coldest going 75 mi/hr. Would you still be comfortable going 100 miles without a charge in that scenario? (Can't charge at work.... yet.)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have to ask. I have a 50 mile commute sometimes in 0 degree F weather at the coldest going 75 mi/hr. Would you still be comfortable going 100 miles without a charge in that scenario? (Can't charge at work.... yet.)
Down at sea level my 17s range would be around 130 miles. At 5000 ft. and a few more Kwh capacity I'd say no problem with that commute.

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2020 Bolt
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup. Even in the coldest freezing weather I am seeing 170+ miles on the GOM. ;)

Took it all over northern MD and southern PA this past weekend. Again, 4 hours in the seat driving all over the backroads of rural MD and PA and still only used up about 100 indicated miles of range. And I know I wasn't going 25 mph, either. Almost at a thousand miles total on it since getting it with under 20 miles on it. Love it so far! And the color has been well received. NIce to be able to see it in a parking lot in a sea of grey cars!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Down at sea level my 17s range would be around 130 miles. At 5000 ft. and a few more Kwh capacity I'd say no problem with that commute.
Does elevation have an impact on range for an electric vehicle? I wouldn't expect that it would.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Does elevation have an impact on range for an electric vehicle? I wouldn't expect that it would.
Yep, denser air = more aero drag at given mph.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Makes sense. Is it significant?
Starting from sea level, rule of thumb as long as the elevation change isn't too great, air pressure decrease by 1" of mercury per thousand feet. So again rounding my house at 600 ft the pressure is 29.4 and Denver 25. That's 15%.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Starting from sea level, rule of thumb as long as the elevation change isn't too great, air pressure decrease by 1" of mercury per thousand feet. So again rounding my house at 600 ft the pressure is 29.4 and Denver 25. That's 15%.
LOL! In layman's terms...is that a lot? I.e. does mileage increase by 15% here in Denver compared to sea level?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
LOL! In layman's terms...is that a lot? I.e. does mileage increase by 15% here in Denver compared to sea level?
At 70+ mph, probably since at those speeds the primary resistance is aero drag. City speeds you might see no difference "within the margin of error".
Actually what matters is density altitude where elevation and temperature factor in so on a 90 degree day on the Continental plateau you'd could see some pretty gaudy range numbers. OTOH, when an Arctic high pressure system sits over Michigan I'm driving through a brick wall.

·
Registered
152 Posts
At 70+ mph, probably since at those speeds the primary resistance is aero drag. City speeds you might see no difference "within the margin of error".
Actually what matters is density altitude where elevation and temperature factor in so on a 90 degree day on the Continental plateau you'd could see some pretty gaudy range numbers. OTOH, when an Arctic high pressure system sits over Michigan I'm driving through a brick wall.
It appears as if I'm benefitting from living in Denver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seat Comparison

Since you have the older one to compare seats with, how much better is the seats in the '20? Reason I ask, I test drove a light blue '17 today with only 12K miles on it and loved it, other than horrible seat. Couldn't live with that for more than an hour at most. Have read new ones are better. Would apprec your take on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts