GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After much deliberation I picked up a set of wheels and tires for the Volt. These are Hyperblack Avid1 AV-20s in 18x8 with a +35 offset. Tires are 235/45 Pirelli P7 Cinturado Plus.

So far things feel pretty good. The steering is a bit heavier than the stock wheel and tire setup, but not too bad. These aren't the lightest of wheels at 22 lbs each, but they aren't terrible. I haven't driven enough to see how this setup effects the range, but I don't think it will be too bad. Tire pressure is up at 42-44 psi, so hopefully these tires will wear evenly across the tread. The stock tires were almost bald on the outside and inside edges and the center still had plenty of tread. Maybe the former owner ran the car with low tire pressure. Anyway, I'm happier running an 18" setup on this car than the stock 17's. Stock wheels will be getting winter tires put on them tomorrow, so once the snow flies I'm ready to go.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Those are heavy. Be curious what your mileage is...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I used to have a Mazdaspeed3 with factory 18x7's that were 24 lbs each. So while these are heavier than the forged 17's that came on the Volt originally, these still aren't the heaviest of wheels out there for their size. I used to have a set of Motegi SP-10's for the Mazdaspeed in 18x8 that were ~19 lbs each, but one of those cracked from the crappy Chicago streets. These wheels do weigh a bit more but hopefully they don't crack on me like the light Motegi wheels did.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
With a couple days on the car, my one way commute to work at 6.4 miles now takes 1.3kWh instead of the former 1.2kWh with the factory wheels and tires. I'm sure more testing is required, but so far it's not too bad.

The tires are noticeably quieter though. Tar lines and cracks in the pavement make almost no audible sound now. Bumps and sharp transitions in the road (ie pavement construction areas) are a bit smoother as well. Lose a bit of range but gain a bit more comfort and a quieter ride. It's a bit of give and take. Hopefully the larger tires will help support the weight of this car a bit better than the 215's and lead to better tire wear. Those poor 215's were too overloaded on the front of this car. The weight distribution on this car is so heavily weighted on the front that I was able to jack up the front wheel and the rear came up at the same time. No need to move the jack for changing out the whole side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts