GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read just about everything I can find on spares for the car so I do apologize if this has been answered. I bought a spare kit from ebay that states it fits the LT and premier. The doughnut, jack etc showed up and all looks great, but the spare is a 16 inch and the circumference is clearly less than my premier wheels/tires. The seller calamine there is no 17 inch doughnut? Am I missing something or will the 16 inch work on the premier?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I bought a used Cadillac DTS 17" spare tire/wheel instead. If you can mount the spare and it doesn't rub the rotor or brake while turning, it should be fine. But I don't think a 16" donut spare will fit your front wheels.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
As far as I know, no donut spare has the same outer diameter as the normal tires on the car. For this reason, only put these on the rear (non-drive) axles of the car, even if that means moving a rear tire to the front when installing the spare. I have the GM spare tire kit for my 2017 Volt and it's very definitely smaller than the regular tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
microVolt and obermd, thank you both very much. It has been quite awhile since I have had a car with a doughnut spare and I just wasn't sure if they were indeed smaller or had the same circumstance. I think I had it in my head having driven Subaru's for the last 10 years that spares were the same diameter. Much appreciated and thank you again.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I bought a used Cadillac DTS 17" spare tire/wheel instead. If you can mount the spare and it doesn't rub the rotor or brake while turning, it should be fine. But I don't think a 16" donut spare will fit your front wheels.
Uh, have you tried mounting that spare on your hubs? The DTS seems to have a 5x115 bolt pattern instead of the 5x105 bolt pattern on the Volt.

Otherwise, your post is good. A 16" wheel should fit over the brakes on all 4 corners. Just check one of the fronts to verify. If it fits and spins, it will be fine for temporary use.

-Charlie

Reactions: Steverino

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Volt Premier
55 Posts
When I bought my '18 Premier last January, I printed out the parts list of the now discontinued Volt spare tire kit. I purchased everything on the list and then ordered the right size doughnut tire. I followed the instructions for installing the Volt spare tire kit and everything looks and works like factory. I also mounted the temporary spare to make sure it fit properly. Others on the forum have used different parts to achieve the same results, this approach worked for me.

·
Administrator
22,836 Posts
Just check one of the fronts to verify. If it fits and spins, it will be fine for temporary use.

-Charlie
Check front fit because the front brake calipers are bigger. If the wheel fits the rear and not the front, you could still use it for a front flat by rerplacing the rear with the spare and then using the rear to replace the front flat. More work, but given that more rear tires get a flat than the fronts, odds may be with you :)

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Check front fit because the front brake calipers are bigger. If the wheel fits the rear and not the front, you could still use it for a front flat by rerplacing the rear with the spare and then using the rear to replace the front flat. More work, but given that more rear tires get a flat than the fronts, odds may be with you :)
With a front wheel drive car you should avoid putting a donut on the front axles. If the flat is in the front you're actually better off from both drivability and mechanical perspectives to take the time to put the spare on the right rear tire (safer on the side of the road) and then put that tire in place of the flat front tire.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Uh, have you tried mounting that spare on your hubs? The DTS seems to have a 5x115 bolt pattern instead of the 5x105 bolt pattern on the Volt.

Otherwise, your post is good. A 16" wheel should fit over the brakes on all 4 corners. Just check one of the fronts to verify. If it fits and spins, it will be fine for temporary use.

-Charlie
I was under the impression that a 2007 Cadillac DTS steel spare wheel would fit a Volt. Unfortunately it only fits the 1st gen. :(

I had to order a new compact spare for my Gen 2 Volt. Now I need to get rid of the Caddy wheel. If anyone with a Gen 1 is interested. I'll sell you mine for $50 plus shipping. I paid over $100 for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Replaced both rear tires (215/50 R17 Michelin) which came with my 2017 Premier (I bought used). Took a nail (non repairable) and so, elected to purchase 2 tires. Kept the remaining good used tire to keep on hand in the case of need. My thought is, maybe to just buy another full sized rim and mount the now, spare tire to carry in the trunk. It can't take up much more room than the donut anyway. You're going to loose hatchback space either way you go. Plus, your spare tire will fit front or rear of car without having to do any additional work. Even if your "spare" tire is well worn, it will carry you much further and probably safer than a donut anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you try it on? from what i read it fits gen1's with 5x115 and not gen2 with 5x105

1 - 14 of 14 Posts