GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching the Volt since it was announced at the 2009 LA Auto Show I finally bought one. To me this is the first hybrid to do it right. Anyways off to my questions:

1. Is the BT reception supposed to be this bad? My phone is mounted to the left of the instrument cluster and when stationary the audio stream constantly stutters. When I'm on the highway it gets much better for some reason.

2. Under the hatch floor there appear to be two rectangular "voids" on the right side of the compartment. I assume the smaller one is for a first-aid kit. what's the other one for?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I haven't had any BT issues, but I only use it for voice and texts.
The longer void was for a folded up hazard warning reflector.
Both cab be purchased, I received neither when I bought the car.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Thank you for those questions. I always wondered myself but never asked the question. I knew they had a purpose but assumed they must be for the sun shade and the fabric cargo cover, both of which weren't included with my pre-owned.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've had some issues with Bluetooth music. I had an LG V10 when I first bought the Volt, then switched to a Nexus 6P later on, that's when the BT music issues started. Other people with the 6P also reported issues with the Volt. Early on I just decided to use the USB Flash support to play music (Port is in the center arm rest), it works a lot better than BT since it doesn't have to wait to connect to your phone.

The rear compartment on the driver side is for the rear fuse panel. The passenger side is for accessories (Cargo net, first-aid, tools, etc.).

·
Registered
123 Posts
My wife's 2015 is terrible with streaming music via BT. I found that turning off the WiFi on the phone helped. Strangely, her iPhone(5c) works fine. It's only mine (5S) that has issues.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I was fortunate, neither of my 2 Gen I's (2012/2013 both with Nav and BOSE if that makes any difference) didn't have any issues streaming BT music.

And those VOIDS in the rear hatch are for European vehicles that must have an emergency TRIANGLE shaped warning device.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My gen1 and gen2 haven't had any BT streaming issues yet (knock on wood). Using an iPhone 6S now, 5S previously. Make sure your phone is up to date too. Not sure if you're streaming audio over LTE or just whatever is on your phone's storage, but if you're streaming audio over LTE are you watching your phone's reception bars to see if they are dropping to coincide with your audio problems? I've noticed Pandora cutting out occasionally, but it was because my phone reception had dropped to like 1 bar and 4G. Once my phone found LTE again, it was smooth sailing.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I believe there was an update for BT on some Gen 1s. Also, if you are using an iPhone, I think there was an issue with the phone software not the car. I have two 2013s and never had a BT issue. But I use android.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I also have a 2014. My BT worked fine with both a iPhone and currently with an Android....I guess you can always attach with a USB cord?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I went up the chain trying to address the BT stutter issue. Does your unit have NAV?

After getting someone who actually knows about MyLink, they admitted that the processor in the unit is too weak to handle NAV + Bluetooth Streaming and anything else behind the scenes. I am assuming the "stutter" is while streaming music, correct?

It's worse if NAV is on. Turning off NAV will help.

Now, I just use a direct USB connection. Smoother.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the responses. As for my Phone it's a roughly year old HTC 10 (Android) that is up to date and works fine with the Pioneer head unit in my old Maxima and the JVC I have in the Bronco. It also works flawlessly in the company Tacoma and my bluetooth ear protectors. Needless to say I don't think it's the phone.

Now today is my second day commuting in the car and I can say it's gotten much better. It's almost like the car had to get used to my phone or something. So it's gone from unusable to decent in 3 days. It still skips every so often but it's not unbearable as it was on Saturday. I even had a conversation with a coworker of mine on the way home and that was as clear as ever.

As for the stereo, it's just the standard version w/o Nav. I have found the USB port and have an old Sandisk fit I keep "backup" music on. To tell you the truth I'm impressed with the read speed of the volt. My old (2 years) pioneer took the better part of a minute to read this thing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Now today is my second day commuting in the car and I can say it's gotten much better. It's almost like the car had to get used to my phone or something. So it's gone from unusable to decent in 3 days. It still skips every so often but it's not unbearable as it was on Saturday.
Maybe it's been busy reading and cataloging your music library over BT while streaming and it's now done?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think your car may be haunted?
Always!

Maybe it's been busy reading and cataloging your music library over BT while streaming and it's now done?
That's the funny thing, I don't keep music on my phone. I'm guessing this may come down to a loose ground somewhere. The juttering and skipping seems to be worse in the afternoon. Regardless I'll give the dealer a call this weekend on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts