GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering buying a 2014 Chevy Volt. It is essentially fully loaded with an MSRP of $40,600, invoice of $39,356. The dealer is advertising a sale price of $36,100 online. In initial conversations with the dealership, they have indicated that the online advertised price is the best they can do. According to TrueCar, the "TrueCar price" for a similarly equipped Volt is $35,806.

This would be my first new car and have no experience in such negotiations. Should I continue to push them to go lower even if they say they can't? If so, what should my starting offer be and what is a reasonable price to end up with? I am having a hard time believing they would not negotiate further, especially considering that they have about twenty 2014 Volts on their lot.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am in the Chicago area and am looking to buy, not lease. Thanks!

·
Registered
366 Posts
The key to any negotiation is to put yourself in the frame of mind that you will not have lost no matter what their reaction. You cannot force them to go lower. All you can do is ask. If you think there is a possibility that you can do better at another dealership, walk away. If it's more than you're comfortable spending, walk away. There is nothing wrong with making an offer at the TrueCar price of $35,806. That should not be viewed by them as an insultingly lowball offer.

They may or may not be telling the truth that they can't go lower. You can find out by calmly making a lower offer and not saying another word until they respond. If their response is negative, you can say "Thanks. My offer stands until I find another car" and get up and leave. Maybe they'll call you maybe they won't. If they don't, are you really going to let $294 stand in the way of you and the car you want? I wouldn't.

My personal experience is that it's been getting harder to negotiate when they already have an internet price several thousand lower than MSRP. I'm not sure where you are but $4500 off MSRP for a Volt sounds like a reasonably good to very good deal to me. I just bought my base model for $3500 under MSRP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am considering buying a 2014 Chevy Volt. It is essentially fully loaded with an MSRP of $40,600, invoice of $39,356. The dealer is advertising a sale price of $36,100 online. In initial conversations with the dealership, they have indicated that the online advertised price is the best they can do. According to TrueCar, the "TrueCar price" for a similarly equipped Volt is $35,806.

This would be my first new car and have no experience in such negotiations. Should I continue to push them to go lower even if they say they can't? If so, what should my starting offer be and what is a reasonable price to end up with? I am having a hard time believing they would not negotiate further, especially considering that they have about twenty 2014 Volts on their lot.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am in the Chicago area and am looking to buy, not lease. Thanks!
Dealers in california advertised 5000 off msrp plus the 1000 factory rebate depending on inventory and month end. I'm not sure what the july sales number was for volts, but it must have been high as I don't see as many new base 2014 volts advertised at 29, 995

·
Registered
81 Posts
That invoice price sounds about a grand too high.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
If you're unsure of yourself, have you tried the car buying service at Costco? It usually delivers a very competitive priced car and is quite good at protecting you from any additional items the dealer might try to sneak in at the last moment. Costco partners with dealers and essentially uses the fleet sales side, which gets you away from the retail side. If you're already a Costco member this is a no-brainer. If you're not becoming one may be $100 well spent.

Also note that you DO NOT want to buy an extended service plan when you buy the car. If you want to do that you want to do it later.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ah, the first car buying experience... Just like when you go into a bar for the first time, have a wingman. Preferably one that has experience with such environments. :)

Totally second the Costco recommendation because it is so low stress. Or find an aunt or uncle or Vinnie that enjoys the bargaining process. My favorite way to buy a new car is:
1) All price/options negotiations done over the Internet
2) financing arranged before going into the dealer
3) pickup 30 minutes before the dealer closes
This last thing just expedites your egress from the line of add-on managers since they want to get home more than you do.

Lastly, and this bit of advice is superflous if you heeded the wingman tip, dealers lie all the time. Use your google skills while talking to them. They'll wait, not silently, but they'll chase your signature with patience.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That invoice price sounds about a grand too high.
I second that thought, about $1000 too high, but not terrible or anything.

With True Car, I think you get a rather firm offer at the 35806 price from someone, and I suspect if you shop around you can do a little better. I got no pressure from my dealer...they seemed to know the car sells itself.

I have found it's nice to have a dealer nearby, however, just for peace of mind. Not that I've needed it for anything in my first year. So, that's worth a little bit of cash to get one close, especially if that dealer has a better reputation.

As you are probably aware, you are also in line for ~$3514 of Illinois state rebate, and $7500 federal. See my post on how to file successfully....I actually got the Illinois rebate before the full federal came through.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I'm not much for negotiating, my last 2 car purchases have been through true car. I entered exactly what I was looking for, printed the coupon, called the person named on the coupon at the dealership and bought the car. one of the dealerships was great about it, the other was not and gamed me for several days afterward. I won't go back there.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
If you aren't on any timetable, don't care too much about options or features, and are willing to drive a bit, last Oct I found a number of heavily discounted volts in central IL. The rural dealerships that only have one on the lot have a tough time selling them because everyone comes in to buy a truck. I got my $44K MSRP 2013 for $21K after all the rebates credits, and dealer/GM incentives. By April 2014, there was a dealership in Bloomington, IL with 3 or 4 new 2013 base models priced at $29,999 before the nearly $11.5K fed and state incentives. So if you are trying to get the absolute best deal, hold out until Nov or Dec, but if you wait until Jan 2015 you run into the issue that you cannot claim the fed tax credit until spring 2016. Also, you run the risk that the state could discontinue or run out of money for the EV rebate.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought a 2014 with the $40600.00 msrp in June. The GM employee price is $37,200.00. The GM online discount was $1000.00 more. The net price was then $36200.00 with GM coupon. I have no idea how True Car can predict any price. That car should be fully equipped and Diamond TriCoat. We did get the dealer to better the trade-in value of our Lincoln LS, but the Volt was not going down in price without the valid paperwork. Perhaps the dealer is able to lower the price because GM has offered the dealer the rebates that I did receive. I almost had to drive to the Chicago area to find the car I bought because I wanted the beige leather interior. Seems like Florida dealers prefer Black seats. Although the 2015's are being built, when July 1st came around, all other discount programs ended. The dealer would not stack any other discounts on our pricing. No Sam's Club, Costco Buyer club, or even credit union member discounts were available. If that's your car, the price is Right.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
3 days ago , I bought a 2014 Volt through Truecar system . It was $5100 off msrp after discounts and rebates . I don't know why any one would want to use Costco . It does not come close .

Try completing the TrueCar info to receive the certificates and you should get emails with great prices quoted .

·
Registered
387 Posts
3 days ago , I bought a 2014 Volt through Truecar system . It was $5100 off msrp after discounts and rebates . I don't know why any one would want to use Costco . It does not come close .

Try completing the TrueCar info to receive the certificates and you should get emails with great prices quoted .
You need to update your signature, hombre! Is that volt #4 or did you swap one for another?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
You need to update your signature, hombre! Is that volt #4 or did you swap one for another?
It's #4 . However , my son bought his own place last month so he is no longer in the household . My daughter's Volt is still in my name , but it's getting a bit weird having so many of the same car . I traded my Jeep for the 2014 , but my wife has taken it over . It kinda sucks because she doesn't really give a crap about it .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the advice! I really appreciate the guidance. I do think it is a good price. The only reason I am doubting is because I've read posts from others stating that they have gotten deals on 2014s that are better than this one. Of course, there could've been special circumstances in those cases. I do have a trade-in also, which I believe will complicate the negotiation process.

I am looking for a well-equipped Volt with beige leather interior, so I'm not sure I should wait a couple months to pull the trigger. One thing that bothers me about the price is that there are well-equipped 2015 Volts in the area for about the same price. I guess I figured the 2014s would be more deeply discounted at this point.

After the dealer told me that that price was the best they could do, I told them that I am also getting comparison prices from other dealers. I also was upfront about the financing deal that I am getting with my credit union and asked if they were willing to beat that rate. There are so many Chevy dealers in the Chicago area that I figure why handcuff myself to the one closest to my house. I have not heard back from this particular dealer, so we will see if they try to compete for my business or not.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Thank you for all the advice! I really appreciate the guidance. I do think it is a good price. The only reason I am doubting is because I've read posts from others stating that they have gotten deals on 2014s that are better than this one. Of course, there could've been special circumstances in those cases. I do have a trade-in also, which I believe will complicate the negotiation process.

I am looking for a well-equipped Volt with beige leather interior, so I'm not sure I should wait a couple months to pull the trigger. One thing that bothers me about the price is that there are well-equipped 2015 Volts in the area for about the same price. I guess I figured the 2014s would be more deeply discounted at this point.
Look for the extra rebate . College grad , lease loyalty , private offers . I got an extra $500 off . In my area the 2014's are discounted an extra $2,000 plus the $1,000 rebate making a $3,000 price difference . The TrueCar program prices are great .

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
She doesn't always plug in , and she doesn't keep the car clean . There are brown stains on the headliner on our white one . Do you think she tried to wipe her butt with it ?
I'll let Elemental handle this one. :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmm,

What activity could let to ones naked rear on a cars headliner....

:)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts