GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't wait to buy a Volt, but if the news of the 2013 models is correct, then we still only have 2 people in the back seat. Those of us w/ kids need the extra seat for friends of kids, etc. Once GM offers a 5 seat model I will get one! Any way to help gently pressure them in this direction?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You're not going to see it happen, unless it's a completely different car (similar to a Ford CMax, Mazda5, etc.) The problem is the battery goes down the center tunnel of the car so there's just not enough space for a middle seat.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It's because of the battery shape/volume, so you won't see any sort of change until Generation II (2015? MY), if even then. Only ways to do it would be to go with newer battery tech (higher energy density battery), or reduce the battery range.

If you're going to have 5 people in a car, do you really want a compact anyway?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can't wait to buy a Volt, but if the news of the 2013 models is correct, then we still only have 2 people in the back seat. Those of us w/ kids need the extra seat for friends of kids, etc. Once GM offers a 5 seat model I will get one! Any way to help gently pressure them in this direction?
I understand. I had to have one anyway. we are pregnant with our 3rd... that means no whole family driving in a Volt starting in November. :(

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I understand. I had to have one anyway. we are pregnant with our 3rd... that means no whole family driving in a Volt starting in November. :(
you couldn't put 3 kids across the back seat anyway, the body simply isn't wide enough for that. wrong size car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We have the same situation. Our solution is probably going to be an additional Volt until we get the Tesla Model X in a year and a half, which is supposed to seat seven adults comfortably, plus have a lot of storage in the rear and a "frunk" in the front for storage. One may also consider a company called Amp in Sharonville or Blue Ash, Ohio. They convert the Equinox or MB five passenger to all electric.

·
8,680 Posts
I really don't think this is the solution to your problem. The back seats are already cramped, and the third one would be even more so - even if it were possible without completely redesigning the physical architecture of the car, which it isn't.

What you need is either the Voltec Cadillac SRX GM was rumored to be working on a couple years ago (a later rumor claimed they stopped because they couldn't get the electric range they wanted, which seems a little unlikely,) or possibly the Volt MPV5 they showed in prototype/concept form at Asian autoshows a year or two back.

A Voltec minivan would be another option, though I haven't heard rumors about that (it would make a lot of sense for a lot of people.)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I've heard the phrase:

"I'm not buying a Volt until it does (You Fill in the blank)".

I've heard the same phrase regarding hybrids and EV's too....

Americans still want vehicles that do "everything". Those vehicles do exist. They truly can do everything........except get good gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yup, that's just another variation of the old saw: "Good, fast, cheap - pick any two".

Due to real budget limitations out here in the real world, GM had to pick just one car to design, not a whole family of them (yet).
This is the nature of the trade-off. I think they did pretty well for most of us. If it was a boring minivan, then how do you get we early adopters into them? If it was a big slug, or more expensive, that's even harder. So a sporty luxury compact was the right way to go, IMO.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Yup, that's just another variation of the old saw: "Good, fast, cheap - pick any two".

Due to real budget limitations out here in the real world, GM had to pick just one car to design, not a whole family of them (yet).
This is the nature of the trade-off. I think they did pretty well for most of us. If it was a boring minivan, then how do you get we early adopters into them? If it was a big slug, or more expensive, that's even harder. So a sporty luxury compact was the right way to go, IMO.
I am with you Fusor, in our case if it a local trip for more than 4 we take 2 Volts, longer we rent the proper car. We plan on just one of those trips next month to Wally World in SoCal. Would love to try out a Buick e-assist.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I think that GM made the compromise they thought they had to make. Here in SoCal, 90+% of the cars on the freeway at the peak have one occupant. I have had my Volt for 13 months and never had over 3 people in it.

3,608 Posts
@ ampedup,

Although no official word has been made yet, I will definitely pass this along.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You're not going to see it happen, unless it's a completely different car (similar to a Ford CMax, Mazda5, etc.) The problem is the battery goes down the center tunnel of the car so there's just not enough space for a middle seat.
At least a car seat atop the center tunnel can be easily accommodated. It would be a slight modification. So it would be 4-seater plus car seat. Most likely, if you have three kids, at least one would fit very well in the car seat. If none of the kids will fit in the car seat, you would most likely already be buying a car for the oldest kid.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
At least a car seat atop the center tunnel can be easily accommodated. It would be a slight modification. So it would be 4-seater plus car seat. Most likely, if you have three kids, at least one would fit very well in the car seat. If none of the kids will fit in the car seat, you would most likely already be buying a car for the oldest kid.
the body isn't wide enough. we tried in a friend of mine's 2012 cruze yesterday. 2 medium car seats is all you get in the back seat and you have to scoot the front seats up to do that. not even a small booster seat will fit between the 2 car seats. all this talk about 3 kids in the back is nonsense.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I really don't think this is the solution to your problem. The back seats are already cramped, and the third one would be even more so - even if it were possible without completely redesigning the physical architecture of the car, which it isn't.

What you need is either the Voltec Cadillac SRX GM was rumored to be working on a couple years ago (a later rumor claimed they stopped because they couldn't get the electric range they wanted, which seems a little unlikely,) or possibly the Volt MPV5 they showed in prototype/concept form at Asian autoshows a year or two back.

A Voltec minivan would be another option, though I haven't heard rumors about that (it would make a lot of sense for a lot of people.)
You bet! I would get rid of my 2010 Grand Caravan and get the Voltec minivan, as soon as they are offered on the market!
I am lucky to have only two kids, that fits the Volt! But the cottage runs and longer trips are more fun in the van, because of
the luggages. (My wife love to have half the house with her on week-ends ;-) )

Francois
B-2653

·
Registered
230 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts