GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Had an unfortunate accident last night. I have to remove the front passenger seat to clean up the mess. Is it as simple as removing the bolts or will there be a problem with the air bags?

Thanks.

2016 volt premium.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Never trust a fart.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It was far worst than a fart...

I found the 2012 volt service manual and it looks like it's more complicated than removing bolts and disconnecting the wires. You cannot even re-use the bolts!

Warning: Refer to SIR Warning in the Preface section.
Preliminary Procedures
1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
2. Disconnect the front seat belt tensioner fastener by removing the cap, bolt, and cover. Refer to Driver or Passenger Seat Retractor Side Belt Replacement .
Front Seat Bolt (Qty: 4) Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution in the Preface section.
Procedure
1. Adjust the seat to the full forward position to gain access to the rear bolts. 2. Remove the foot cover by pulling up on the rear of the cover and then pushing forward to gain access to the rear outboard bolts. 3. Re-cut the threads of the body. Refer to Thread Inserts . 4. Bolts are microencapsulated. Install NEW front seat bolts. DO NOT reuse the old bolts. Tighten 45 N·m (33 lb ft)
Front Seat Assembly (Qty: 2)
Procedure
1. Disconnect the electrical. 2. With the aid of an assistant remove the front seat, by tilting the seat forward and then lifting and pulling the seat rearwards to disengage the front hooks. 3. Transfer components as necessary

Looks like I'm going to have to spend time figuring out a way to clean that area between the seat and the center console and the rails.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
If you just need to clean something underneath the seat, you can probably just remove the bolts and lift it up a bit. I would assume there is enough play in the wiring to get under it without disconnecting everything.
Yes, you are supposed to use new bolts for safety reasons. I wouldn't be too concerned about putting them back in temporarily though.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
My first car had no seatbelts (or airbags) and the floor was rusted out, so, no place to attach the passenger seat. We're very lucky everyone survived that car. (1963 Fairlane w/221 V-8).

I'd take it to a detailer or car wash and get the carpet cleaned. They have tools to get behind/beneath.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dexter if they were proactve.... They need The Wolf now..
Nothing that bad...j ust a bit of too much drinking is all. It's very hard to get the smell of vomit out I've tried everything but I can still get a whiff of that stomach acid + dinner + alcohol smell.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd recommend Odorxit. It's a little expensive, but can neutralize odors in the nastiest of houses, let alone cars.

It doesn't leave a discernible cleaning chemical smell afterwards.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I removed my front seats to install heaters (and also to clean a spill) but didn't unbolt the seat belt attachment point and was able to remove the seat from the car and place it beside the car, IIRC. I guess you shouldn't do that. The little plastic covers on the rear bolts lift up on the leading edge
first soas not to crack the plastic. I was pretty easy to do but as stated above by others you shouldn't do this it will lead to danger.
My issue was an unbaked egg casserole!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Nothing that bad...j ust a bit of too much drinking is all. It's very hard to get the smell of vomit out I've tried everything but I can still get a whiff of that stomach acid + dinner + alcohol smell.
My sister in-law threw up (flu, not alcohol) while driving their Subaru a few weeks ago. Some of it ended up in the dash vents.
Needless to say they paid a fair price to have that mess taken care of professionally.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Some years ago, I took a friend and his teenage son for a ride in our Cessna to survey some tornado damage to one of their neighbors' farms near Hays, KS. The air was a little choppy, but they did OK until final approach for landing when, for no apparent reason, the kid blew lunch all over the instrument panel (I mean "lunch" literally, as we had just finished a meal at church, and some of his projectiles were recognized as pieces of the potluck!). I worked all afternoon to clean up the plane as much as possible before the stuff dried, but never really got everything right until the next annual inspection when, as required by the inspection protocols, I removed the entire interior of the plane. Yukkk!

I wish I had some of the products mentioned in this thread at the time!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the suggestion on odoban. Unfortunately, the home depot in Canada is a subset of the real thing in the US... As in lots of great stuff sold in HD in the US cannot be found in the Canadian version.

Only place I could find it is amazon.ca.

On another note, I bought some baking soda and covered the affected areas and left it for a few days then vacuumed it up and the smell is much less apparent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That yellow connector that has the airbag wires, and seat heating wires: It has a little red tab thing with a kind of arrow on it. Push it back, and then crank that grey connector back toward the red tab. The red tab will come off, but your connector will come undone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts