GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a good thread to post this on. I drive 30+ miles to work uphill, so naturally, without charging, I cannot make it home without switching to gas unless I charge at work. Thus, I have been plugging and unplugging my portable charger daily, until it broke. Unfortunately, my level 1 charger no longer functions beyond a few minutes, and its definitely not my sockets (tried multiple, some are very industrial and new), and some repairs and ideas from this forum have failed to be long-term solutions. I am very frustrated that because I have one of the first Volts, it is well out of its bumper-to-bumper warranty so I cannot get a new one under warranty. I am unhappy with the Voltec design, so I'm looking to buy a different brand. Any recommendations on other level 1 chargers for portable use? I also have a dryer plug available at work, but one of the execs plugs his Tesla in there so I'd rather stick to the normal plug.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It may be to pricey for what you need, but I have a Turbocord and it has served as a great level 1 charger. (it does level 1 and 2) It is very compact and easy to deal with and very well built. No little pigtail cord and heavy unwieldy base like the Voltec charger. The level 2 plug type is the kind of unusual NEMA 6-20, and it would be my guess that it wouldn't fit the dryer plug you mentioned at work, but maybe you could find a way to make it work in the future there or somewhere else.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
I'd want one that can do both 120V and 240V for maximum flexibility. If you can use a soldering iron, the OpenEVSE kit might interest you.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
There is a user here that will make an OpenEVSE for you. I have talked with him, but haven't bought anything yet. I don't have a place to plug in to 220V and our 110V one works fine and stays plugged in at home. The wife has no way to charge at work anymore... :(

Personally, if mine broke out of warranty, I would be looking at a L1 / L2 capable charger. Might as well have the flexibility to charge. One day your "exec" might be out of town or on vacation and you could charge up quick. Might make you look for a way to get a 220V outlet at home or put two 110V outlets together... Just throwing ideas out there.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Just curious if you have basic skills with a soldering iron? You could build your own with an Open EVSE kit and use the plug from your old one. The newer Clipper Creek units are easy to convert, but your older unit is sonic welded shut so it's a bit more challenging to convert.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My level one charger died not once, not twice, but three times. Each time, I went back to a Chevy dealer and got a new one, no charge. The last time, I got a different one. It is obviously a different manufacturer, and it has worked for quite some time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Interesting advice... I was actually leaning away from getting a dual level charger, maybe because I was likening it to the old scanner/printer/fax machines in the 90s that were bad at all functions. I like to think I'm handy, but electronics is where I usually draw the line; I have sweated pipes before so I could probably solder if I put effort into it, but right now I'd rather buy something complete.

I should also probably mention that I do have a Level 2 charger installed at home, and it has had to be repaired, but was a $4 fix thanks to help from this forum, instead of a purchase of a completely new unit as the manufacturer was pushing.

dk2943 - I'd be interested to know what the new brand or manufacturer is on the latest charger. I have had mine replaced twice under warranty (due to recalls, not because they were broken) but now am told it is no longer covered. Go figure. I imagine if enough fail, they would have to address it eventually.

Thank you all for your advice! I will continue to look for the best replacement for my portable charger.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The Leaf charger from ebay in post# 4 would satisfy your needs- and at a great price....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts