GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I searched the forum but did not find anything, so here it goes.

My 2013 Volt is making a whirring sound almost like fender trim is rubbing on the tire while driving. Problem is, it only happens while using the gas engine. It comes and goes while using the gas engine so maybe A/C... Does the battery and ICE use two different A/C setups or do they share?

My initial fear was the failed bearing issue that has plagued the early volts, but wouldn't that be noticeable in all driving modes (not just ICE)?

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Where does it sound like it is coming from? My 2013 had a couple of odd noises. One weird metallic-like sound was actually due to a loose exhaust, which was only an issue obviously when the ICE ran. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Whirring only on ICE. Not really familiar with the ICE yet but I would suspect something like a fan belt or a water pump bearing on an older ICE engine, not sure what the Volt ICE would have that might be comparable. Jog any thoughts? Think you can rule out drive train (other than clutch/planetary gears that are unique use with the ICE).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Open the hood while ignition is on. Engine will run. Search for the noise then to verify/disprove the engine is making it.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The A/C and the bearing issue would both happen in electric mode as well.

You should be looking at the components specific to the engine, exhaust, intake, fuel pump and the radiator cooling fan.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
there is a 3 way valve in the engine cooling/cabin heating system, if it sticks or is slow to turn, then the coolant pump gets loud, I 'm not saying that this is your problem, but it was my experience this past winter. try to see if having the fan on or off changes this noise.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My exhaust makes a weird buzz/drone at a specific rpm. It's not in the spot long, but I can hear it clearly when it is. Wonder if it's a heat shield or internal baffle worked loose.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
My exhaust makes a weird buzz/drone at a specific rpm. It's not in the spot long, but I can hear it clearly when it is. Wonder if it's a heat shield or internal baffle worked loose.
Yeah my '13 had the same--there was one hill near my house where it would run at a slightly higher RPM at around 35 MPH and it always happened. Never bothered getting to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to check them out. One thing I have done is let the car run full A/C with the battery depleted. I was unable to recreate the sound while parked, which is a shame because my Engine-Stethoscope would have come in handy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts