GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am on the cusp of purchasing a very low milage 2014 ELR. I have read just about every post on this forum. My questions to you owners are: Is the CUE system really that bad? Sluggish? Is the brake peddle feel really that bad? Do you get used to it? Can you feel the engine vibration through the steering wheel?

There are alot of posts on these topics however, I just dont know how prevalent these problems are amongst the general population of cars. would Cadillac really release a version of CUE if it did not work well?

Thanks Mark

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Personally I think the CUE system in the 2014 ELR is not as bad as certain people have made it out to be on here. But there WERE numerous updates for the CUE system that have gradually improved it's performance dramatically.
Just take it to a dealer and DEMAND they install ALL the USB and SPS updates for ALL of the CUE components present on the MOST bus including:

K74 Human Machine interface (HMI)
A11 Radio chassis
T3 Audio Amplifier
P16 Instrument Panel
A33 Disc player

They should do this following THE LATEST VERSION of preliminary bulletin PI1126 and I suggest they be programmed in the order shown but they will do what they do

Still, even with the updates some people will say "it should do this" or "shouldn't do that" but whatever. I drove one as a company car for 6-months and never really had a complaint about it. It played what I wanted to play, navigated where I wanted to go, and worked well with my phone so...

Brake pedal feel? It's exactly the same as the Volt. Never heard of any complaints of that (or maybe I missed the thread)

My advice would be to go drive it. I would own one in a heartbeat.
Yes, the 2016 has significantly improved performance but that's not such a big deal for me.

Welcome to gm-volt.com
WopOnTour

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
WTF is a CUE system??
The infotainment system on an ELR. It's better than the original volt system, probably close to on par with the g2 volt, but I have get to test drive a g2 or an ELR. I'm afraid if I do, I'll end up buying one, and I have 4 perfectly good working cars on my driveway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CUE = Cadillac User Experience. As stated above its their info-tainment system (Radio, NAV, Bluetooth...interface)

·
Registered
114 Posts
CLUE SYSTEM TO ACCESS CUE SYSTEM

You are writing to us from Colorado, so we understand your state of mind.

You are currently limited by the system you are using to answer your questions.
You are using GIGGLE,,,,,When you should be using GOOGLE.

After you sleep off the effects of the Weed, try using GOOGLE,,,,,in the mean time,
while you are still commited to using GIGGLE, you might enjoy this comprehensive YOUTUBE
explaination of the Cadillac CUE Sytem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if will make you GIGGLE even more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLh4y-FXCug

Good luck when you wake up !!

·
Registered
77 Posts
The entertainment system on my '14 Volt works perfectly. I especially like the USB input that plays sound tracks from my flash drives.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The infotainment system on an ELR. It's better than the original volt system, probably close to on par with the g2 volt, but I have get to test drive a g2 or an ELR. I'm afraid if I do, I'll end up buying one, and I have 4 perfectly good working cars on my driveway.
When I drove the 2016 ELR I was ready to sell everything to put it in my driveway.
After a couple days cool-down period more mature thoughts prevailed! lol
WOT

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
When I drove the 2016 ELR I was ready to sell everything to put it in my driveway.
After a couple days cool-down period more mature thoughts prevailed! lol
WOT
That's why I'm not tempting myself. The other day, my boss 3 levels up wanted me to go with him to the Chevy dealership to test drive the first 2017 g2 in our area. I respectfully declined as I have to squirrel away a huge wad of money between now and September for a child's education

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently dumped because of reliability issues, a 2015 Chrysler 200C with an interface that is regarded as one of the best available at any price. The range of features in 2014 ELR are in some ways better than that one was. However it is slow to boot at times, lags in response to touch at others and has a steep learning curve. At first I was amazed, but frustrated with it, but now I would say it’s very good, but not excellent.

Having owned both the Volt and the ELR I would agree that one has to learn to modulate the brakes as they transition from regenerative to actual physical engagement. But in my opinion it’s a mild effect and one that does not adversely affect every day driving.

The only times I notice vibration are driving very hard up a mountain or on occasion when “Hold” or "Mountain" is engaged and I have floored the accelerator. The gas engine is working hard and this is audible and physical. I think the reason it gets mentioned is because the car is outstandingly quiet 9/10ths of the time. It’s a real surprise when you hear or feel anything.

All in all, for me, the car is almost magical in its ability to deliver a great driving experience. Find myself smiling a lot, even on daily drives to work or the store.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had use of a 2014 as a daily driver for a few months, all updates performed on the infotainment system (the Siri microphone was added after one of them).

The 2014 CUE interface is unbearably slow to respond to touch, and the animations for things like expanding the list of presets (swipe up from the bottom) are crazy slow. This is in an era where smartphones continue to go faster so perhaps it felt like the screen was slowing down.

Put simply, if you use CUE to its advertised potential, it will frustrate you to no end. If you just do basic functions, it's fine.

Maddening that a smartphone for a few hundred dollars has a better, faster touch screen than a Cadillac.

The other issue you didn't mention is the performance of the 2014, which from my butt-dyno is slower than the Volt (off-the line) but seemed to handle nicer on turns; that speaks to better tuning of the ELR but there was only so far they could go (at the time) with the drivetrain.

My test drive of a 2016 ELR made me forget the 2014 ELR completely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I really don't see any lag in my cue. It's a 2014. Very happy that it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I am on the cusp of purchasing a very low milage 2014 ELR. I have read just about every post on this forum. My questions to you owners are: Is the CUE system really that bad? Sluggish? Is the brake peddle feel really that bad? Do you get used to it? Can you feel the engine vibration through the steering wheel?
You can answer all of these questions yourself with a test drive. You're aware of the issues from reading this forum, so all you have to do now is see if any of our concerns also bother you. If not, then it's the car for you.

However, I would recommend you also test drive a 2016 ELR to see what you'll be missing out on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I find the CUE system in my 2016 reasonably responsive, as others have observed. I did test drive the 2014 on multiple occasions a year+ ago and while its CUE was slower, it was never distractingly so. Best to drive it yourself and determine if you can live with it or whether you will obsess about minor shortcomings as some here have done. That certainly didn't keep me from the 2014.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I really don't see any lag in my cue. It's a 2014. Very happy that it.
Expand your list of quick access favorites by swiping up from the bottom. If you can do it in one try and it takes less than three seconds to display them all (one onethousand two onethousand three onethousand), I'll donate $100 to your favorite charity.

Post the youtube video and I'll post my paypal screenshot.

Now imagine doing this (not the video, obviously) while driving. It's infuriating and dangerous.

·
Registered
37 Posts

So did you pick up ELR. I just saw a White, Performance Package, 7,000miles 2016 ELR going for 41k.

http://www.thompsonsales.com/inventory/2016-cadillac-elr-base-fwd-2d-coupe-1g6rm1e41gu100157

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

So did you pick up ELR. I just saw a White, Performance Package, 7,000miles 2016 ELR going for 41k.

http://www.thompsonsales.com/inventory/2016-cadillac-elr-base-fwd-2d-coupe-1g6rm1e41gu100157

My only complaint on my 2014 is I have to select 12 amps on level 1 charging every time , now that my Blink evse is on the blink .

·
Registered
104 Posts
CUE works fine in my 2014. Brake pedal is a non-issue. And anyone who thinks a gen 1 Volt is quicker is, simply, wrong. Traded mine for the ELR.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I do not understand why anyone needs an entertainment system in a vehicle. I believe in DRIVING, not playing. That may be why I passed so many vehicles on the back of wreckers today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts