GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So in three months of driving I've now spun out one of the tires twice in the car (2016 Volt, I'm not the primary driver, it's the wife's car, but on the weekends it's the goto vehicle of choice for driving, love it!).

First time was when I tried sport mode for the first time, so figured it was the combination of sport mode and the fact it was a slight right turn from red stop at a very mild hill crest. Ok, got to love the torque of electric...

Second time was not in sport mode, just a reasonably normal right turn from red light bottom of a mild hill valey, but spun the tire again.

Now it could just be me, I do tend to have a heavy foot, and my primary vehicle is a tuned AWD vehicle with reasonably sticky 255/40-19 series tires.

But, I was just curious to see if others had issues on their Gen2 volts with spinning out a tire in a turn.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Not knowing the model year, the type of tires, or how worn they are....I'd say your Volt is probably trying to tell you that you are driving un-economically.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Since it isn't limited slip, 294 lb/ft of right now torque (before the planetary gear reduction) is a lot for one low rolling resistance hybrid tire to deal with.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Go with the lighter foot.

I had a similar experience with my new '97 Silverado with the 350 and open diff. First couple of weeks were murder on the rear tires. Have not spun one in about 18 years on that truck, it just takes getting used to...

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Change the tires or replace the Volt with an ELR. HiPer Strut is amazingly effective. The Volt provides a great quiet and quick ride, and regen and a low center of gravity makes it fun on twisty roads, but it's not a sports car.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
I put Yokohama avid ascends on my g1 volt as well as 18" wheels. Wet and dry traction is a world of difference over the original OEm Goodyears. My mileage did drop from 95 mpg to about 85 mpg, but that's nothing compared to the 20 mpg I got in my previous ice gas guzzler

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
A set of Bridgestone Potenza performance tires will cure it completely. :)

Of course, you will probably get about five miles less range per charge, and they will wear out considerably quicker, but you will have considerably more fun too. :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I put 245x20 tires on my Gen1 and it made an amazing difference. Mileage went down about 15% but I don't care. It corners and brakes almost as good as the ELR at any speed.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
op, Traction Control should not let you do that. Maybe a small chirp is all it should do.
Also, Sport mode does not give you any more power than normal mode.

Come on, you were dik'n with the wife's car and turned off TC, right? You can tell us !!!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Tires make a huge difference, stock had terrible traction if pushed at all on my Gen 1. Putting on quality high performance all season tires went from easily spinning the tires even at speed to almost unable to spin tires.

As a note though, never push the accelerator hard in a turn with a FWD, ease onto the pedal as you straighten the wheel. FWD is bad as if you brake traction with the accelerator, you lose steering (especially on snow).

Performance tires will cut your range 10% or so.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
op, Traction Control should not let you do that. Maybe a small chirp is all it should do.
Also, Sport mode does not give you any more power than normal mode.

Come on, you were dik'n with the wife's car and turned off TC, right? You can tell us !!!
I didn't think traction control would let me spin a tire for that long (stopped spinning when I let off the accelerator). I'll have to double check on the traction control, I didn't turn it off on purpose, but with all the gizmo's in the new car, may have missed it.

And yes, was dik'n around a little ;) , hence putting it in sport mode and being a little aggressive in leaving the stop sign. Didn't think it would increase the engine power, just not baby the accelerator/traction control as much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Won't be returning it for an ELR (it's not my fun car, it's the wife's, though it is nice to drive), and will probably have to wait on new tries till we run these down.

Sounds like I just have to remember it's not my AWD vehicle. Which is fine. Now I just need to wait until Chevy (or someone) starts selling an affordable AWD plugin hybrid that I can get!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
GM touted they focused on a 0-30, their engineers are smart so it was probably intentional that you can spin in favor of quicker acceleration...1000+hp supercars have traction control where you can't spin the tires...While I'm surprised you can even spin the tires at all, I'm impressed that anyone can lose control in this thing because acceleration is reverse linear most likely to favor efficiency...

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well, gen1 will spin the front right on a right turn. Gen2 even more so. Gen2 has more torque with a smaller tire patch (smaller diameter, same width), so yeah definitely looses it more. Even with traction control on. But gen2 does have nice balance. I like it. Or at least that was my impression on a gen2 test drive. I'd probably go 235/40R18 if I get a gen2. Or maybe even 245/40R18. Or... at this point I may wait to see what 2018 brings.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
GM touted they focused on a 0-30, their engineers are smart so it was probably intentional that you can spin in favor of quicker acceleration...1000+hp supercars have traction control where you can't spin the tires...While I'm surprised you can even spin the tires at all, I'm impressed that anyone can lose control in this thing because acceleration is reverse linear most likely to favor efficiency...
Supercars are usually rwd so when you punch it, all the weight shifts to the rear wheels thus giving you more traction. So in a FWD vehicle, the more spirited you drive, the more the weight shifts, the less traction you have on the drive wheels. The solution to this is to just go buy a CTS-V and stop driving the OP's wife's car like it is. CTS-V.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Change the tires. I put the Mich AS3s on and they make a huge difference. However, even in straight-line full out throttle, Gen 2 will break the front tires loose. With the low center of gravity and new suspension, who says it isn't a sports sedan. It is fun to drive! . . . I am comparing the driving with my CTS and Corvette.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Most newer GM cars allow a bit of wheelspin with the babysitters on.

The 2016 Volt is no exception and will spin the tires from a stoplight or around a corner if you bury the pedal.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Compared to AWD that you are used to, no FWD car is going to have comparable traction in that situation. And the Gen 2 Volt has a ton of torque for launching. The 0-30 mph time is better than most other vehicles, including many respectable sports cars. Just a lighter touch through the turn should keep the wheels planted well enough. You need to do the same in most FWD cars.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Change the tires. I put the Mich AS3s on and they make a huge difference. However, even in straight-line full out throttle, Gen 2 will break the front tires loose. With the low center of gravity and new suspension, who says it isn't a sports sedan. It is fun to drive! . . . I am comparing the driving with my CTS and Corvette.
How much impact did it have on your range and mileage. Michelin tends to do well at designing even performance tires to have good rolling resistance. I was thinking about AS3s for my 2017.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts