GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping somebody here can help me find this information. In order for the Washington, DC tax folks to determine whether the Cadillac ELR qualifies for a hybrid car excise tax exemption, they need documentation that it gets 40MPG or better in the city. I believe this is to avoid giving perks to people who are buying gas guzzler cars that technically have a hybrid engine but still get terrible gas mileage. However, nowhere can I seem to find the city MPG broken out from the combined city and highway MPG for this car. I currently lease a Volt, and live about 5 miles from my office, so I pretty much have an MPG for city driving of infinity, as far as gas is concerned. This is why I'm trying to stay in a similar type of car by leasing the ELR. However, if I can't document to the city govt folks that the ELR far exceeds their 40 mpg gas requirement in city only driving conditions, I'll have to pay almost $7K in taxes. So, I really want to find some info on this that I could show them. The real problem seems to be that they don't understand that this car isn't like a typical hybrid that is constantly switching between gas and electric, but rather it allows you to use only electric for X miles of driving time. Basically, this car is far, far more energy efficient that a 40 mpg hybrid, but unless I can document that this is the case in city only driving, I won't be able to qualify for the exemption. It seems to me that this would be the same problem for a Volt driver, which is why I'm posting here. I can't remember whether I qualified for the exemption when I bought my Volt but I'm checking that paperwork to see.
:confused:
Many thanks for any help!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
82mpge doesn't mean anything to them?

They should have a government-issue chart of which vehicles qualify. There aren't too many that get 40mpg city.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The EPA (fueleconomy.gov) doesn't appear to list separate city/highway fuel economy for PHEV's/EREV's, either in gas or electric mode. That said, I know these figures were released by someone (maybe GM) for the Volt, since I occasionally see them mentioned in articles. But I doubt that's official enough for your purposes. Plus I wasn't able to find any numbers for the ELR anyway.

Your best bet might be at a dealer. If this is a local tax and it's important to the ability of dealers to ship vehicles, they'd have an incentive to know the ins and outs of it. (On the other hand, many dealers are clueless about EVs/EREVs, so I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't help you.)

Other than that, you might ask the city itself to clarify how this rule is applied to PHEV's/EREV's that have different electric and gas ratings. If they look at the gas-only MPG figure, the ELR won't qualify. But if they look at the electric MPGe, it would. And some kind of average would also work (if you could only find the "City"-only ratings).

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
So what do they do for electric cars? that essentially don't have a MPG? the EPA does call out city/hwy separate for the Tesla Model S, but both the Toyota and Chevy plug-ins get their city/hwy lumped together for MPGe.

Time to hit their contact page and send an email to [email protected] and inquire and honestly it looks like it's not there because of the layout they want to show both hybrid and gas-only usage and there just isn't the room since there are two bubbles. I'd shoot them an email and maybe they can send an official doc that has more detail. Or at worst several people should contact them and point it out, since this could be important to others as well in the future.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I think you're SOL.

In MD, cars that get at least 50 MPG city are exempt from emissions testing. Unfortunately, they only look at the gas MPG of a vehicle...so my Volt and its 94 MPGe still need to get tested every 2 years, as the state only sees the 35 MPG city rating. Stupid archaic system.

·
Registered
267 Posts
JulieVolt:

Try searching the Federal and State Laws and Incentives on the Alternative Fuels Data Center website. Data is available to download based on the different search criteria. Link: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/search

Good luck!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Alternative Fuel and Fuel-Efficient Vehicle Title Tax Exemption
Type: State Incentives | Jurisdiction: District of Columbia
Qualified alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs) and motor vehicles with a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimated average city fuel economy of at least 40 miles per gallon (as listed at www.fueleconomy.gov) are exempt from the excise tax imposed on an original certificate of title. The original purchaser and subsequent purchasers of the same vehicle are eligible the excise tax exemption. The District of Columbia Department of Motor Vehicles determines which AFVs qualify. For more information, see the District of Columbia DMV website. (Reference District of Columbia Code 50-2201.03(j))

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was intrigued by this, and your best bet would be to contact the Electric Vehicle Association of Washington, DC:
http://evadc.org/ev-faq/

·
Registered
203 Posts
Time to hit their contact page and send an email to [email protected]
I sent a polite inquiry and got a very thorough response today (actually two!), was a pleasant surprise in my inbox when I got around to checking my email. They do have the data, but it's buried and they were helpful in digging it out.

The 2014 ELR has:
gasoline 31 City 35 Hwy 33 combined
electric 85 City 80 Hwy 82 combined

you can get the complete datasheets that have more details at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/download.shtml

I have to admit I got a pretty good response from them (500+ words, links, screenshots).. the cliff note version is the EPA decides what goes on the sticker in what they feel is the best way to communicate the values... and without going into details I agree that is a hard thing to do. Those of us with great interest who spend waaaaay to much time crunching the numbers get into debates of what is best let alone the average joe or sales rep ... so will leave that debate for elsewhere and agree that yeah...it's a mess, but it will eventually get better.

But they are interested in the legislation that is specific to City only MPG and are forwarding it on for further review so they might be taking that into consideration in how to post numbers readily available to the public and officials.

What's that you say?....what if your local clerk argues about the electric only vs gas only? there is another equation...and here is a direct from their response since they probably explain it better than I could and I think I've seen this equation tossed around (with much debate):

fueleconomy.gov said:
The file is an Excel file or .xlsx extension. Once open, click on the PHEVs tab at the bottom to the workbook. There are actually two Cadillac ELR models listed, regular and Sport. I will just reference the standard ELR model in this example. In columns J, K, and L you will find the City, Highway, and Combined fuel economy for gasoline only which is:
31 City, 33 Highway, and 32 Combined – Gasoline only

For Electricity, you will find the City, Highway, and Combined values under columns AU, AV, and AW and those values are:
87 City, 83 Highway, and 85 Combined – Electricity only

Now, to confuse things further, there is also a blended gas and electricity rating which is based on a utility factor that estimates what percentage of the time the vehicle will be run on electricity versus gasoline. The greater the EV range, the higher the utility factor. You can find this utility factor on the far right side of the spreadsheet in columns FM, FN, and FO. The City, Highway, and Combined utility factors for the 2016 ELR are 0.687, 0.663, and 0.677 respectively. Using these utility factors, the EPA calculates the blended gas/electric or “Composite” values which are found in columns FD, FE, and FF under the heading PHEV Composite MPG:

55 City, 54 Highway, and 55 combined – Composite gas/electric
personally... that one for composite should go on the sticker too.... would solve your problem as well (being +40MPG)

Hopefully this will help! You may have to do some hand holding to walk them through it...but I think you have the data you need to qualify.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for the bump, but I'm curious to hear what came of this.

I just registered a used 2014 Volt in DC and I had to pay the excise tax because the city mileage showed as 35mpg. I am interested in seeing if I can find evidence that I shouldn't have had to pay it.

We're you able to get out of paying it for the ELR and what did you need to show?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts