GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai is serious about getting the word out about their ionic hybrid. Sadly gm doesn't do the same with the Volt and Bolt (and Malibu and CT6 PHEV)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I know it's frustrating, but what else would they spend their advertising dollars on? On the other hand look how GM is spending their advertising dollars, those goofy "real people" ads with Silverado's popping out everywhere, Cadillac and GMC and Buick is everywhere.

I do agree GM could include more hybrids/plug-in's but what else could Hyundai advertise?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I know it's frustrating, but what else would they spend their advertising dollars on? On the other hand look how GM is spending their advertising dollars, those goofy "real people" ads with Silverado's popping out everywhere, Cadillac and GMC and Buick is everywhere.

I do agree GM could include more hybrids/plug-in's but what else could Hyundai advertise?
I am not exactly sure what you mean by what else could Hyundai advertise? Hyundai is a very strong company with a very diverse product line. Back in the 90's and early 2000's Hyundai was still building junk and being laughed at by GM; however, Toyota took notice and commented (can't find source) that they see Hyundai as their competition going forward, NOT GM. GM got lucky being able to go through restructuring and losing some legacy cost which made GM a much leaner company; however, I see GM making some of those old "legacy" mistakes again. I guess my point is Hyundai is much leaner company and is pumping out new cars every few years. They are a serious force to be reckoned with in the automotive world.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I am not exactly sure what you mean by what else could Hyundai advertise? Hyundai is a very strong company with a very diverse product line. Back in the 90's and early 2000's Hyundai was still building junk and being laughed at by GM; however, Toyota took notice and commented (can't find source) that they see Hyundai as their competition going forward, NOT GM. GM got lucky being able to go through restructuring and losing some legacy cost which made GM a much leaner company; however, I see GM making some of those old "legacy" mistakes again. I guess my point is Hyundai is much leaner company and is pumping out new cars every few years. They are a serious force to be reckoned with in the automotive world.
Really?...:)

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html

% MARKET SHARE
Hyundai Motor America
May 2017 4.0
May 2016 4.7
YTD 2017 4.2
YTD 2016 4.3

·
Registered
417 Posts

They are funneling their ad $$$ to where the MOST profit is, Business 101 :)

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I agree that GM needs to advertise more, but they need to fix their advertisements first. They aren't compelling or interesting.

All of the Chevy advertisements I've seen recently distill down to this: "Buy a Chevy. We don't care which one, just please buy a Chevy."

How about this instead: "This is the car/truck/SUV we built for people like you. It is better than any of its competitors because it does A, B, and C. If you like to do A, B, or C, this is what life with this car/truck/SUV looks like for people like you."

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really?...:)

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html

% MARKET SHARE
Hyundai Motor America
May 2017 4.0
May 2016 4.7
YTD 2017 4.2
YTD 2016 4.3
Awesome charts and tables. Now that Hyundai and Kia have combined, add the two together and they are getting close to honda's numbers. Hyundai is directing their ionic ads directly at the Prius, Toyota should worry. Although I'm no fan of South Korean cars, they seem to be very popular amongst the American lower income folks as they are easily enticed by the price and features. I just recently went refrigerator shopping to replace my broken Amana, and I almost got a Samsung or LG because they are very pretty and have some neat gimmick features, but a quick look at Amazon reviews reveals that they are junk, similar formula thet they use for Korean cars.

I'm saddened that mitsubishi is bringing up the rear of the Japanese imports. The disappearance of the evo and their inability to sell in any numbers seems unwarranted, but they seem to be hurting the most from hyundai's and kia's growth.

Also, I'm surprised that Subaru, mitsubishi, and Mazda have trucks...wish they sold them here in the US.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I agree that GM needs to advertise more, but they need to fix their advertisements first. They aren't compelling or interesting.

All of the Chevy advertisements I've seen recently distill down to this: "Buy a Chevy. We don't care which one, just please buy a Chevy."

How about this instead: "This is the car/truck/SUV we built for people like you. It is better than any of its competitors because it does A, B, and C. If you like to do A, B, or C, this is what life with this car/truck/SUV looks like for people like you."
Logic doesn't work with advertising the general public as it would with engineers and nerds. Emotion often wins out: sex, silliness (remember the Prius police chase super bowl ad, or the football player driving a car on the football field), and cars driving fast or in formation like synchronized swimming seem to permeate the airwaves.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
There was an article on insideevs citing GM stating they were planning on empathizing that because of the superior range you don't need to plug in everyday...I sure hope they're looking into marketing another aspect than not plugging in daily...Just show the car is fun to drive...

There was a real people not actors commercial which included the Bolt along with other models where they all won awards...Not sure if it was nationwide or not...

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Logic doesn't work with advertising the general public as it would with engineers and nerds. Emotion often wins out: sex, silliness (remember the Prius police chase super bowl ad, or the football player driving a car on the football field), and cars driving fast or in formation like synchronized swimming seem to permeate the airwaves.
Oh, you still have to appeal to the limbic system of the brain. But you have to demonstrate what life with the car would look like, not how many JD Powers awards you've won.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well based on the ionic ad, anyone who paid attention would learn that the ionic is the highest mileage hybrid in America. Alas, us volt owners know that's not quite right. The ionic might have the volt beat in ice only, but the volt blows it away if your commute is within or even a little outside ev range. And bolt owners are technically getting infinite miles per gallon as it doesn't use any Dino juice, though it also isn't a hybrid.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just saw a volt in an NHL standby cup commercial...unfortunately it was for Fidelity Investments, not Chevy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts