GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to check out the XM Navtraffic feature and now realize that mine just doesn't work. In the owners manual it mentions that it needs to be turned on. I don't have the manual in front of me but it was something like:

config>nav>traffic

Unfortunately, when I go to the config menu under the NAVsection, there is no option for traffic. I called Onstar and they claim it is a problem with XM and would get back to me in 7 to 10 days. My thought was that if I am missing a menu, it must be a firmware issue with the radio. Is anyone else having an issue using the taffic option and do you have this menu item.

Also, the info button does not work. When I press info it says downloading but then never displays any weather info.

How is this working for others. It sounds like it might be a nice feature.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have been trying to check out the XM Navtraffic feature and now realize that mine just doesn't work. In the owners manual it mentions that it needs to be turned on. I don't have the manual in front of me but it was something like:

config>nav>traffic

Unfortunately, when I go to the config menu under the NAVsection, there is no option for traffic. I called Onstar and they claim it is a problem with XM and would get back to me in 7 to 10 days. My thought was that if I am missing a menu, it must be a firmware issue with the radio. Is anyone else having an issue using the taffic option and do you have this menu item.

Also, the info button does not work. When I press info it says downloading but then never displays any weather info.

How is this working for others. It sounds like it might be a nice feature.
It is available as extra cost on your XM contract. Nice feature, but IMO not worth the money that XM wants for it.

VIN # 0985

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have wondered about this too. I haven't had a chance to play with things, but I would like to before my trial runs out too see if this is something I want to pay for.

What exactly does this do? Provide traffic info in the nav Maps?

I also have nothing in the config > nav > traffic

·
Registered
895 Posts
During the 3 month trial, which JUST ran out for me, all of this was working (traffic and weather). I didn't have to turn anything on. When I signed up for the family friendly version of XM, Navtraffic would have been $4 plus taxes per month extra. I declined.

·
Registered
895 Posts
What exactly does this do? Provide traffic info in the nav Maps?
Yes that is what is does. When you have navigate screen up, there is a little car icon in the lower left that you can press to get more information. The info button gives you weather, extended weather, and if you are on a route, weather on the route (destination). The nav system will announce construction areas ahead, by voice and on the map. Cool, but not worth $4 per month to me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes that is what is does. When you have navigate screen up, there is a little car icon in the lower left that you can press to get more information. The info button gives you weather, extended weather, and if you are on a route, weather on the route (destination). The nav system will announce construction areas ahead, by voice and on the map. Cool, but not worth $4 per month to me.
Then mine isn't working either. I'll have to call OnStar about this. I'm about half way through my 3 months trail.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just an FYI, mine is now fixed. It took 30 minutes, but is fixed. A call to OnStar, a transfer to a Volt Advisor, and a 15 minute debate of her telling me it would only work when it was in park, finally got her to conference in XM, who stated traffic was on my account. he added it, and sent a refresh signal to my Volt, and now I have it.

So it appears some Volts did not get the traffic part added as it should have been, when the trail was activated.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have had it for 5 months now, and it's definitely useful if you drive all around town in a big city like I do.

Although, it's not always as accurate as the traffic map I use on my iPhone. So I find myself cross checking it against the iPhone when setting off on a trip likely to encounter an accident or road construction.

In terms of functionality, it shows the traffic speeds overlayed on the Nav map. It will tell you about problems on the road you are traveling without having to set a destination. And it will factor in traffic in the routing when you do set a destination in the nav.

It does not have the amount of coverage of Google maps on the iphone. It matches the coverage of the local traffic web page I use, but not the accuracy as I mentioned above.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the heads up... My info and traffic worked for a week,, then stopped working... I guess I have to make some phone calls... my trial ends in Sept....E

·
Registered
467 Posts
I let my XM trial expire in anticipation of a "We want you back!" offer. I got a letter from XM last week offering to re-activate one year of XM service for $77. I called and asked if the $77 deal was the same service that I had during the trial. The representative answered with an unqualified "Yes."

I took the deal knowing that I was agreeing to auto-renewal at the then-current price. Cancelling XM can take several hours of phone calls. Despite that I may not let them renew a year from now. Now back to our story.

Several days went by and I was not getting a weather forecast from the Volt's INFO button. I called XM inquiring about this. They said that I was not subscribed to that service. It would cost another $46 a year. I explained what I was told about the renewed service. Apparently it was not the same as the trial despite what their rep said. I said I was not willing to pay more and wanted to cancel my service. After about 10 minutes on hold they added weather and traffic at no additional charge, at least for this year.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Do you *have* traffic where you live, as far as XM is concerned??!?
On the way in to Albuquerque, NM, which I seem to have had way too many trips lately. I-25, I-40, and Albuquerque city streets
are always subject to Orange barrel syndrome. The construction starts about 15 miles north of Albuquerque on I-25 at Bernalillo.

So, back to your implied point, it isn't worth it to me because XM wouldn't tell me anything where I actually live.

·
Registered
317 Posts
During my 3 month free trial I found the XM traffic to be very inaccurate in San Diego. I subscribed to XM radio for 90 additional days for $14 with no auto renewal. I didn't want to commit to a longer period nor did I want it to auto renew at a higher rate. The traffic could have been added for $5 more per month.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just an update, I just received an invoice from XM radio for $14.18, for XM Premier with XM NavTraffic from 7/19 (The day I called) - 9/4/11 (The last day of my trial)

I have left a VM for my VA, to figure out what is going on. So far I'm not too pleased with the interaction of XM, and GM.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We have both the Leaf and the Volt. The traffic information works so much better on the Volt. Sure, it is not always totally up to date, but it is helpful for us.

I spent hours on the phone with XM over several calls getting a reasonable "deal" for the extension of this service. I think it turned out to be around $45/year, so it you find that it might be useful to you....work hard negotiating with XM to get "the best deal." We did NOT extend the actual radio programming but only the traffic updates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm still trying to get my NavTraffic working but no luck yet. XM has confirmed that it is turned on for my car, and I have had the refresh signal sent 5 times now. I'm still waiting on a call back from Onstar but I have not heard yet. During my last conversation with Onstar, the advisor claimed it was an XM issue and that it would take 7 to 10 days to resolve. I am expecting an update soon from Onstar.

Would someone who has the Navtraffic function working please check your config menu and see if there is an option for traffic under the nav category. I still think it is odd that I do not have that option and my radio may need a firmware update to get the traffic working.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Would someone who has the Navtraffic function working please check your config menu and see if there is an option for traffic under the nav category. I still think it is odd that I do not have that option and my radio may need a firmware update to get the traffic working.
I do have it now, but I did not have it when XM did not have traffic turned on in my account, so I doubt it is a firmware issue, more of just a hidden config setting unless traffic is active on the XM account.

·
Registered
116 Posts
@runalittle. It took four calls and an escalation (the key) for me. whatever the initial call center people see displayed that it was turned on for me. The screen the tech support person had access to showed that in fact it was not enabled. Also the initial screen and my zip code correct, the but again the screens the tech support person had access to showed that they had my zip code wrong. Once she fixed both of those then NavTraffic started working.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I let it expire, but turned it off manually sooner

NavTraffic might be helpful someday in the future, but not now.

On an iPhone, you get true realtime traffic flow data in the map app. But XM sends very out of date info, displays it poorly, and has voice alerts that are of little use. And to get detail you must use the touch screen, while driving in traffic. No Boise shortcut.

To me, not worth the cost. But if they get it to work like an iPhone or like Sita err.com, that would be valuable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.