GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ford Focus that our Volt will be replacing had the nav option and I kept it updated with SD cards I found on eBay that were cheaper and reliable. Anyone with a Volt do this? Thanks

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe navigation updates are electronically keyed to the VIN of most GM vehicles now, so you can't do that. You have to order the update for your specific car.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
And Money isn't enough reason?

IMHO, MOST roads don't change much in general, even if the details might. The Speedway gas may become a SuperAmerica, an interchange may be built to a new layout, even whole new subdivisions may spring up, but unless you LIVE in one or are trying to navigate to one, it doesn't matter. (If you LIVE there, you know how to get from home to the place the map exists, right?) When you're told "Exit to I-10 East", there are still going to be marked signs that say "I-10 East" even if the exit moved a quarter mile since the map was made. That is, in-dash nav probably doesn't actually need updating more than maybe once a decade, and probably not even then. Phones can do the work most of the time, and their maps *are* current. You can't even BUY in-dash nav in some new cars now, because of how well phone nav works and the security of having your "home" marked on a thing that doesn't ALSO have your garage door opener in it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've 'updated' ours three times in 6 years and I've found it still doesn't list new roads around here. HERE is an offshoot of Nokia's failure as a company.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do you have an iPhone or Android phone? If so, you can use CarPlay or Android Auto. I specifically ordered my 2017 without nav knowing I would be using CarPlay. It's even better now that I can use Waze with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have an iPhone or Android phone? If so, you can use CarPlay or Android Auto. I specifically ordered my 2017 without nav knowing I would be using CarPlay. It's even better now that I can use Waze with it.
Been wondering that myself. What is the alure of factory GPS when you have Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps and CarPlay/Android Auto? Only thing that comes to me is access to detailed maps when there is no service.

Cheers,
Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts