GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who have the in-dash nav system: I just got an email that is offering the update for $99.99. Normally $159.99. If you didn't get the email you might want to check on it anyway. (http://gmnavdisc.com/)

My car still has the base maps it had as delivered three years ago, so the offer is tempting. But now that google maps (w/satellite view!) and waze are available via CarPlay...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
For those of us who have the in-dash nav system: I just got an email that is offering the update for $99.99. Normally $159.99. If you didn't get the email you might want to check on it anyway. (http://gmnavdisc.com/)

My car still has the base maps it had as delivered three years ago, so the offer is tempting. But now that google maps (w/satellite view!) and waze are available via CarPlay...
My in-car maps would have to be pretty old before I'd spend 100 bucks on new ones. Particularly since these new ones are usually a couple of years old anyway. And the supposed sale is bogus. My understanding is that they are always available for $99.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My in-car maps would have to be pretty old before I'd spend 100 bucks on new ones. Particularly since these new ones are usually a couple of years old anyway. And the supposed sale is bogus. My understanding is that they are always available for $99.
There actually are some newer roads I occasionally drive on that are not in the Volts map database. It can affect routing decisions.
Worth it? Maybe, maybe not. We do use the built-in nav quite a bit - sans CarPlay/Android Auto. So I'm on the fence.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

Buyer beware. Someone who posts on the forum purchased a similar $99.99 map update and received 2 or 3 year old maps.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm glad I didn't get the built-in nav. I always plan my route on my PC and then use "Send to phone" and then plug in the phone and use Android Auto. Or just plug it in and say "OK Google... take me to..." and I always get the most up-to-date maps plus traffic-based routing.

Mike

·
Registered
657 Posts
Would be a nice marketing plus for GM if they updated the maps as a bonus of being a GM customer. How much does it really cost them to update the NAV system? Could this not be done as an over the air feature such as Tesla is famous for?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Would be a nice marketing plus for GM if they updated the maps as a bonus of being a GM customer. How much does it really cost them to update the NAV system? Could this not be done as an over the air feature such as Tesla is famous for?
Updated maps for my BMW are $200, or they used to be (I haven't investigated the cost since I essentially use Google Maps for most directions).

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Considering the initial cost of the factory nav system, the cost of the updates, the fact that the updates are neither frequent enough nor actually up-to-date, and compared to the fact that any smart phone can do nav better at no additional cost, I'd say that factory nav is a complete fail.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Buyer beware. Someone who posts on the forum purchased a similar $99.99 map update and received 2 or 3 year old maps.
Yeah, that was me. The map update was marked "2018" but the files on the USB drive were all written or modified in 2016. They told me the 2019 map update would be released soon. When I complained they told me to send them back for a refund. I did, but so far nothing. :-(

·
Registered
444 Posts
Updated maps for my BMW are $200, or they used to be (I haven't investigated the cost since I essentially use Google Maps for most directions).
I picked up a lifetime FSC code for ~$20 for my E70 X5 BMW and updated the maps myself with a downloaded copy. For $200 for ~1-2 yr old maps the price car mfgs charge is a total ripoff.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Considering the initial cost of the factory nav system, the cost of the updates, the fact that the updates are neither frequent enough nor actually up-to-date, and compared to the fact that any smart phone can do nav better at no additional cost, I'd say that factory nav is a complete fail.
When I bought the Volt I was ambivalent about getting the in-dash nav or not. The car we bought had it. It was only a $495 option. We use it a lot, so from that point of view it hasn't been a fail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2017 Volt and are looking at aBolt now, they don't come with Navigation and the word is that most cars in the future won't come with nav, they are banking on everyone using CarPlay in the future where you can use your own maps and they will be up to date.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm debating this one as well. I've got a Garmin with lifetime map updates but have the in-dash nav option so am generally using that. I just moved to a new town so have been pretty dependent on it but noticed that it didn't have key roads on it when I purchased the car last year. For instance, a road that was added a while back (2013) to connect two highways to bypass the city traffic. My new workplace is on a revamped highway exit (2017) with new roads where there where previously fields.

Reports are that this is really a 2016 map data so I'm inclined to pass. The navigation system pisses me off every time I try to use it anyway. The hands free mode generally can't understand me and is just painful to use (I speak with a Michigan dialect so am not sure what it's expecting). The system generally won't let you make changes via the touch screen if you're moving for "safety" reasons. You can't really be on the Navigation and the Audio/Radio screen at the same time which an external Nav fixes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts