GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just checked and a navigation map update is now available for 2014-2015 but not 2013 Volts. The maps in my 2013 are over 3 years old.

I don't understand why a 2013 update would not be released with the 2014 and 2015. Is the 2013 nav different than 2014-2015? Is the 2013 update coming shortly or does GM intend to orphan the 2013 nav and abandon upgrade support for it?

Edit: I checked 2/22/16 with Chevy customer service and the with the contractor who provides the map updates. The 2013 is not compatible with this update for the 2014 & 2015. There is no date set yet for a map update release for the 2013 Volt.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
As far as I know they're all built by Panasonic, nor am I aware of any hardware differences whatsoever between the 2013 and 2014. Hopefully it's nothing more than a mistake by some spreadsheet jockey. Also interesting in that it appears the update is via USB stick instead of DVD.

*edit* Anybody with a 2013 wanna be a guinea pig? Better yet, since the USB sticks are evidently programmed specific to each VIN, everybody that updates want to compare the contents to see what's different between sticks?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I ordered it for my 2014. You have to give them your VIN - when you do, a little wheel spins around and mine said "verified." Might be helpful to try putting in a 2013 VIN. No obligation at that point.

·
Registered
68 Posts
At the risk of spinning this thread off on a tangent, the big question for me is whether or not the update is worth almost US$200. It's disappointing that even after selecting the Canadian version of website there isn't an option to make the purchase in Canadian funds.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
At the risk of spinning this thread off on a tangent, the big question for me is whether or not the update is worth almost US$200. It's disappointing that even after selecting the Canadian version of website there isn't an option to make the purchase in Canadian funds.
There are lots of other nav threads here that suggest using Garmin or your cell phone. That is an alternate choice those with the in-dash can make. I still like the features of the in-dash even though I also have a Garmin. I don't use the Garmin any more since it clutters up the dash. The in-dash has larger and better placed visual cues than a cellphone and I found that helpful when maneuvering complex interchanges. Also, the in-dash nav mutes the radio during audio nav prompts allowing me to listen to music during navigation.

·
Registered
741 Posts
So I just picked up a 2015 with Nav. When I went to the Chicago Auto show last week, the nav stated the speed limit across Illinois was 65 but the posted speed limit was 70. I have a Garmin I have never updated since I bought it 8-10 yrs ago, yet the speed limit has never missed. So if I update the map for the Volt, does it fix the speed limits? And if so how did Garmin get it right without an update?

Ok, found the place to buy it. 190 bucks. Talk about outrageously priced......Not sure why the dealer shouldnt do this to older inventory before sale.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just went through the steps under MY2014-2015, and it accepted the VIN for my 2013 Volt. It may not be looking for compatibility by VIN at checkout as it also accepted my 2013 VIN on the 2011 Volt NAV upgrade also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does anyone know if the update also improves the route selection logic or the POI list? My Garmin seems to have a better route and re-route logic than the in-dash NAV, and certainly way more POIs.

·
Registered
538 Posts
When I was buying this, shipping for the USB key initially showed as $23.95, or some such. Looking around at other products, shipping seemed to be $3.95, even for a couple of DVDs for the earlier years. I also looked for a promotional coupon but didn't seem to find one. But when I returned to the 2014-2015 update, shipping now showed as $3.95 and that's what I paid. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
907 Posts
have link for this?
I remember signing up to get an email when an update becomes available, but haven't got one yet.
Nothing on the official owners site (that I can find). And searching Chevrolet.com gives about 900 results of mostly manuals.

·
Registered
907 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just checked and a navigation map update is now available for 2014-2015 but not 2013 Volts. The maps in my 2013 are over 3 years old.

I don't understand why a 2013 update would not be released with the 2014 and 2015. Is the 2013 nav different than 2014-2015? Is the 2013 update coming shortly or does GM intend to orphan the 2013 nav and abandon upgrade support for it?

Edit: I checked 2/22/16 with Chevy customer service and the with the contractor who provides the map updates. The 2013 is not compatible with this update for the 2014 & 2015. There is no date set yet for a map update release for the 2013 Volt.
Latest update above for 2013 map update status.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
have link for this?
I remember signing up to get an email when an update becomes available, but haven't got one yet.
Nothing on the official owners site (that I can find). And searching Chevrolet.com gives about 900 results of mostly manuals.
The site is actually in your manual.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Interesting, I thought that the 2013-14 head was the same and they changed again for the 2015.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I plugged in my VIN, and it shows a map update listed for $180....BUT "due to heavy demand", the discs won't ship until late March. Really?? Not that I was gonna actually buy it, but 1 month to ship friggin' DVD discs? LAME.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It's not a disc, it's a USB stick that has to be loaded with software specific to your VIN.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Has anyone installed it yet? Anyone want to report back any changes you see compared to the stock one?

Did they update the NAV maps with each year or would a 2015 Volt have same maps as a 2011 Volt?

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's not a disc, it's a USB stick that has to be loaded with software specific to your VIN.
It is a disc (or two) for bro1999. He has a 2012.

·
Registered
266 Posts
May be different depending on year. For my 2015 it is an USB stick. Did the early Volts have USB input for music?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts