GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated yesterday the on-board navigation system on 2011 Volt 2669. Total time for upgrade 4:42. It took 3 hours to get through about 75% of disk one and the remainder of the time to complete.

According to the packaged instructions the car needs to be on for the duration of the upgrade so the vehicle was left plugged into the Level 2 charger the entire time and the lights were turned off along with the climate control system.

After the install, the nav system was rebooted as requested and it did work properly on a short drive.

Instructions indicate that disk one of the upgrade is supposed to take about 80 minutes. You have to enter the Update Key to start the update. The screen does not show what you enter. Also, I had to enter the code twice because my code started with "0EB..." and I figured that the 0 represented the numeric 0 vs the letter O, or maybe it was the other way around.

If you plan to install the map update I would suggest that you leave plenty of time and also if you read the instruction documents closely in step 8 "After Disc 1 update completes, the disc will automatically eject. Please remove it quickly." So . . . if you are going to remove it quickly you need to be watching closely. If you do not reomve the disk quickly, the disk will remain extended from the disk player until you remove the disk.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yeah, they lowered the price to $160 and released the 2014 version so I got the update for my 2012 as well. It did take longer than 80 minutes, however I drove about half of that time, and like you I had the car plugged in and on for the second DVD-ROM. If you shut off the car during the update it will resume from the point it left when you turn it back on. The radio, climate, and EV functions remained available during the update.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I too updated my 2011 Volt nav system software without problems, leaving the vehicle plugged into a level 2 charger, with the climate control and lights off, in my closed garage, with the vehicle locked. Just prior to that, someone had rifled through my vehicles in the open, lighted garage while I was in the house for 5 minutes before coming out to do the upgrade.

It was not a big deal about removing the discs quickly after they ejected. I shut the vehicle off and then I resumed running the update the next morning after I woke up. The password is a hexadecimal number, so I knew it was a 0 and not an O.

My biggest question resulted because the nav system did not seem to reboot or show an "animated screen" as described in the directions - it went directly to the nav screen, which looked the same. So did the update succeed? When you do "config" ==> "navigation system" ==> "Map database information", it gives me V20.13.02. But the DVD says version 5.0.

It took the guy at the call center quite a while to answer the question I was asking, and he was not familiar with the Volt. It does not have a hard "menu" button, but has a config button. He finally got me to the place I had already been, and confirmed the V20.13.02 (which I had before I called him) was equivalent to version 5.0

Anticipating, some of you may ask if it was worth the $160? That's a decision each will have to make for themselves. I had noticed several times, especially on Chicago expressways, that the exit information wasn't always what was shown, and the interchanges looked like they might have been recently rebuilt. It also gives recent points of interest and businesses - one small change I noticed is that the expressway rest areas have unique names (e.g., "Springfield Rest Area), which generally aren't shown on signs. Small things, but when you are tired and it says there is a rest area in 10 miles, then you get there and the rest area is permanently closed, those little touches matter if you do a lot of traveling like I do. I should mention that I successfully used a smart phone navigation system to navigate in Slovakia (Europe), but I had my wife as navigator, and we were susceptible to loss of data signals. I would never use the smart phone navigation driving alone.

·
Registered
972 Posts
"Just prior to that, someone had rifled through my vehicles in the open, lighted garage while I was in the house for 5 minutes before coming out to do the upgrade."

Paul - don't know what you are confused about. Per Mr. Webster, rifle (v.t.) "(1) to ransack and rob (a place, receptacle, etc.), (2) to search and rob (3) to plunder or strip bare of (4) to steal or take away." No, there wasn't shooting.

Fortunately, I don't leave valuables in the car, and all they might have gotten away with was a small flashlight (or maybe I didn't put it back where it belongs). I had a pouch in the center console they rifled through, but I could imagine their disappointment when, instead of cash, they found vinyl exam gloves. Car door was not closed and center console and center IP storage compartment doors were open.

Point is that one should not leave the car running while doing the update without proper precautions (car locked in closed garage). And I don't live in that high of a crime area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nav update

It took me just two hours for my 2011 Volt no 905. The car was left on, lights off, not plugged in. I checked disk 1 after about 75 min and it was already completed.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I thought I read in another thread that one update of the nav database was free, if completed within the warranty period.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?74914-Navigation-Update/page4
I could try, but at 72,694 miles, I am out of the warranty period on miles, but not time. Software probably should not wear out with either time or mileage, but try telling that to Microsoft or Apple - smile! (I have a GM Protection Plan extended warranty through 110,000 miles on my odometer, but it's starting to look like insurance I won't have to use.)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Any difference in format? My 2013 is different then the 2011. I wonder if it upgrades to new features like speed limit display.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
"Just prior to that, someone had rifled through my vehicles in the open, lighted garage while I was in the house for 5 minutes before coming out to do the upgrade."

Paul - don't know what you are confused about. Per Mr. Webster, rifle (v.t.) "(1) to ransack and rob (a place, receptacle, etc.), (2) to search and rob (3) to plunder or strip bare of (4) to steal or take away." No, there wasn't shooting.

Fortunately, I don't leave valuables in the car, and all they might have gotten away with was a small flashlight (or maybe I didn't put it back where it belongs). I had a pouch in the center console they rifled through, but I could imagine their disappointment when, instead of cash, they found vinyl exam gloves. Car door was not closed and center console and center IP storage compartment doors were open.

Point is that one should not leave the car running while doing the update without proper precautions (car locked in closed garage). And I don't live in that high of a crime area.
Wow...I'm just confused by the casual, in passing, comment about someone inside your house...:(

Me?...I'd be pissed...

I'm glad to hear everything is alright...:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I could try, but at 72,694 miles, I am out of the warranty period on miles, but not time. Software probably should not wear out with either time or mileage, but try telling that to Microsoft or Apple - smile! (I have a GM Protection Plan extended warranty through 110,000 miles on my odometer, but it's starting to look like insurance I won't have to use.)
I talked to a Volt advisor today, and a Volt owner is entitled to a one-time free update to the GPS/Nav software with no time or mileage limit.

I decided to put off getting an update until my 5 years of free ONSTAR expires in Dec. 2015.

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
I talked to a Volt advisor today, and a Volt owner is entitled to a one-time free update to the GPS/Nav software with no time or mileage limit.

I decided to put off getting an update until my 5 years of free ONSTAR expires in Dec. 2015.
Thanks for the tip! Good strategy.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

I asked my Volt Advisor about the 'freebie' update, and they told me no such complimentary update exists. Eh.....? Which # Volt Advisor do you have? Maybe I have to ask him. :p

edit: do you have a 2011? I have a 2012....maybe only 2011's get the 'free' update?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yeah, inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I asked my Volt Advisor about the 'freebie' update, and they told me no such complimentary update exists. Eh.....? Which # Volt Advisor do you have? Maybe I have to ask him. :p

edit: do you have a 2011? I have a 2012....maybe only 2011's get the 'free' update?
I just called the Volt advisor number 877-486-5846. I forget the name of the advisor I talked to.

I do have a 2011 Volt. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
"quickly remove the disk or it will be there forever" :) I guess people are updating while they drive and they don't want you to forget it just ejected.

Saw a few changes in the graphics ( only used it one time so far)

Have the HEX code ready from the order page or email.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
So my Volt advisor continues to insist there is no complimentary NAV update for any model year Volt owner. I think I'll just call the number, as I'm getting nowhere through email.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I know, old thread, but great info.

I just received my two DVD set of badly-needed 2016 maps for my 2012. I was concerned about 80 minutes for the first disk after the update that shuts my vehicle off after a much shorter length of time. If I installed it to/from my way to work, it'd probably take me two weeks to update.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I know, old thread, but great info.

I just received my two DVD set of badly-needed 2016 maps for my 2012. I was concerned about 80 minutes for the first disk after the update that shuts my vehicle off after a much shorter length of time. If I installed it to/from my way to work, it'd probably take me two weeks to update.
Did you pay for your map update discs?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts