GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The navigation on my 2013 Volt started to 'spin', making it unusable in practice. This is the very first real defect I have after 45K miles.

The symptom is that the map display constantly wants to turn left when driving, and after a short while it snaps back to the current road. And then it again veers off to the left and snaps back. The problem is less when driving faster or on highways, and there is no problem if the car is stationary.

Did anyone else encounter this issue? Is there perhaps a fix? A constantly spinning map is rather distractive, even if I don't use the nav.

My theory is that the nav gets two location inputs: one from the GPS and one from dead reckoning that is based on the wheel rotation and the steering wheel inputs. The latter helps when there is no GPS signal such as in cities or parking garages. The GPS is likely OK, but it seems that a faulty steering wheel sensor input constantly feeds a left turn. This sends the map car icon to the left until the GPS data corrects it bay snapping it back to the nearest road. This process continues constantly. The bread crumbs form the leaves of a tree when driving a straight road.

Or does the system perhaps use a magnetic compass for direction and is a magnet confusing the system? My guess is a steering wheel sensor. Hopefully simply a loose connection.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had what sounds like the exact same issue in my 2013 Volt with Nav. See this thread for when I posted similar.

My Chevy service dude at my local dealership offered to fix it for a $100 deductible.

You probably won't like my ultimate resolution.... I traded in for a 2017 Volt ;-)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I had what sounds like the exact same issue in my 2013 Volt with Nav. See this thread for when I posted similar.

My Chevy service dude at my local dealership offered to fix it for a $100 deductible.

You probably won't like my ultimate resolution.... I traded in for a 2017 Volt ;-)
Following your link, Barry in post 5 did a reset and claimed that that fixed his problem. I would try that first. Also, remove any devices using power or usb to see if the problem goes away. Lastly. if the OP doesn't want to spend money, I recommend having the energy screen (leaf button) display rather than the map, or turn off the display entirely. I know that this is not ideal, but it will save money.

·
Registered
518 Posts
As mentioned in my original thread (linked in my reply), we (the dealer) tried a software update which of course would also have the effect of a full reset. It seemed to resolve the issue temporarily but then it returned. This implied to me that there was more going on; potentially hardware-related. Also, unplugging devices such as dashcams, radar detectors, etc. had no effect.

Best of luck in your search for a solution. Feel free to reference me as another data point if you go back to a dealer to have them try to fix it.

·
1,308 Posts
My guess is a steering wheel sensor.
However, I would think that the car's stabilitrak anti-skid system should be using the steering wheel sensor and any significantly bogus data from it would be detected and would throw "Check Engine" light error. I suspect the magnetic compass is not used by stabilitrak but might be used by the GPS mapping system so I'm guessing that is a more likely failure point. When this is happening do you notice any odd behavior by the vehicle direction display in the driver's display?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
The navigation on my 2013 Volt started to 'spin', making it unusable in practice. This is the very first real defect I have after 45K miles.

The symptom is that the map display constantly wants to turn left when driving, and after a short while it snaps back to the current road. And then it again veers off to the left and snaps back. The problem is less when driving faster or on highways, and there is no problem if the car is stationary.

Did anyone else encounter this issue? Is there perhaps a fix? A constantly spinning map is rather distractive, even if I don't use the nav.

My theory is that the nav gets two location inputs: one from the GPS and one from dead reckoning that is based on the wheel rotation and the steering wheel inputs. The latter helps when there is no GPS signal such as in cities or parking garages. The GPS is likely OK, but it seems that a faulty steering wheel sensor input constantly feeds a left turn. This sends the map car icon to the left until the GPS data corrects it bay snapping it back to the nearest road. This process continues constantly. The bread crumbs form the leaves of a tree when driving a straight road.

Or does the system perhaps use a magnetic compass for direction and is a magnet confusing the system? My guess is a steering wheel sensor. Hopefully simply a loose connection.
Does the map point the right way if the car is stationary or does it point the wrong way? I'm wondering if the mag compass is in need of calibration...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
As far as I know, which is actually not always very far, the magnetic compass, stability control, and navigation are three separate systems that work on three different principles, and probably do not talk to each other. One is magnetic, one works on gyros, one processes signals from satellites.

The only time I've seen symptoms as described has been downtown in the canyons, where one or more satellite signals gets blocked or reflected. This has happened both with the Volt nav system and with my little Garmin. My guess is that you either have a fault in your GPS antenna or something is interfering with it.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If your GPS antenna (on the roof) was bad, you should have a GPS icon with a line thru it. Sounds like the antenna is ok, but the tire sensor is bad, possibly on the left.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have seen this before, the radio has a gyrocompass in it and it has failed. Its part of the radio and so you will need to replace the radio to resolve it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
However, I would think that the car's stabilitrak anti-skid system should be using the steering wheel sensor and any significantly bogus data from it would be detected and would throw "Check Engine" light error. I suspect the magnetic compass is not used by stabilitrak but might be used by the GPS mapping system so I'm guessing that is a more likely failure point. When this is happening do you notice any odd behavior by the vehicle direction display in the driver's display?
Thanks for all great suggestions and the pointer to the similar problem. The magnetic compass above the odometer does not spin, and there is no error message from Stabilitrac (which I presume would go ballistic with bad sensor input). So the most likely scenario remains that the steering wheel angle sensor is OK, but that somehow the angle input of the nav system is wrong.

There is a 'reset to factory setting' button. but that does not seem to affect the nav....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had this same issue in my 2013 Volt, back in 2013. The Navigation map would continuously spin when the car was in motion (it would stop spinning when the car was still, such as at a traffic light). When I took it to the dealer, the first thing they did before even attempting to reproduce the problem was to load a software update. That took care of the issue. Another side issue I was having at the time, which the software update also took care of, was that sometimes the Nav system would take forever to initialize (up to 30 minutes) and sometimes it would not even initialize at all. It has been working fine since the update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Long time lurker, I felt the need to resurrect this thread after experiencing the same problem. I have a 2013 volt premium w/nav just to be clear in case this isn't relevant to your year and model. One day during regular driving and using the navigation, the map starting spinning and later received the GPS logo with a line through it. I tried resetting the radio in the menu as suggested but this did not work. Chevy wants $100 as a diagnostic fee to maybe fix my problem. I then decided to pull the F2 fuse from the fuse box located on the left side of the dash on the drivers side door. Waited a minute, then reinserted the fuse. This immediately fixed the problem! Its a 15amp fuse marked Radio on the label. I imagine disconnecting the battery probably does the same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts