GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had thought about updating the maps on my 2015 NAV system, but the price always turned me off to it. Today in the mail I got an offer to get it for $99, plus tax and shipping. It ships on a USB thumb drive, and the offer is good until the end of September. Has anyone here done it?

·
Administrator
20,444 Posts
An offer from who?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
In years past it was a much more and for my VOLT came on a DVD.

Do give us an update.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
64 Posts
Yes, I did it on my 2015 Volt. It was painless and the USB stick somes with detailed instructions to update. You have to put your VIN in when ordering, so I believe the update is tied to your specific VIN.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Or for about the same price you can get a Garmin device with lifetime map updates included. I realize the OEM GPS is more integrated into the vehicle, which is nice, but this still seems expensive for a single map update. I could see paying that as a one time fee for OEM lifetime annual updates.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Years ago I bought a Megellan GPS (still works fine) for $99 Cdn. Got one free update (never bother to do it). Now you can get new GPS's with free lifetime updates for that price. Don't they know (some) people are smart enough to price compare?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Last summer the map upgrade offer was $150. I went for it but had problems with the upgrade because the vendor (here.com) put the wrong VIN into the license file so the the upgrade process failed. It was very difficult getting a hold of them to work through the issue because I had to call GM support who would then connect me with here.com each time. The supplier wasn't good at getting back to me - they finally decided I had a defective USB stick but never contacted me to arrange for the swap.

The replacement USB stick worked - the upgrade process is a bit ambiguous for the Volt because the instructions are for an ICE. It says to leave the engine running but part way through the install process the screen displays a message to "not start the engine or turn off the car".

As for the larger debate of built-in navigation versus external device (smartphone, Garmin, Magellan, etc.), when I upgraded from my Gen1 to Gen2 this summer, I decided built-in nav wasn't a must have option so the Gen2 I went with didn't have it. The only thing I miss is the ability to pull up the map while you're driving in order to see where you are and what side streets are available (useful if you're in an unfamiliar area and hit a traffic jam). In that kind of situation, I'm not able to whip out my smartphone, plug it into the Volt and bring up Android Auto. Can't do that with paper maps either unless I have a navigator (aka map-literate passenger) with me. But for me this use case is rare so I haven't regretted not paying for the Volt nav option.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
As for the larger debate of built-in navigation versus external device (smartphone, Garmin, Magellan, etc.), when I upgraded from my Gen1 to Gen2 this summer, I decided built-in nav wasn't a must have option so the Gen2 I went with didn't have it. The only thing I miss is the ability to pull up the map while you're driving in order to see where you are and what side streets are available (useful if you're in an unfamiliar area and hit a traffic jam). In that kind of situation, I'm not able to whip out my smartphone, plug it into the Volt and bring up Android Auto. Can't do that with paper maps either unless I have a navigator (aka map-literate passenger) with me. But for me this use case is rare so I haven't regretted not paying for the Volt nav option.
This is why they feel they can charge exorbitant prices. I still think they'd make a lot more money at half the prices they charge.

I used to be able to study a map and then navigate without it very well -- even through Europe. And while I still love maps, GPS has made me lazy.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gmnavdisc.com/chevrolet/update

One of these offers came in the mail.
Do you think it is legit?
Yes, that's the one. I went ahead and ordered it. This is my first vehicle with built-in navigation. I've had no problems with it other than some newer streets and roads were missing. I own a TomTom with outdated maps sitting on a shelf and while it worked well, I only used it on trips so it wasn't always available. Plus it didn't pronounce street names at all. And I didn't like the suction cup on the windshield and power lead hanging down.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Meh...The update does not work for my 2012 Volt.

I have a Garmin unit with free updates and traffic alerts, sitting on a dashboard base which is suction cup free...Thanks to the slanted profile of the car's dashboard, it sits at a perfect angle so it does not obstruct the view through the windshield. I bought it used, so I paid less than $99USD for it. :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
$99 does put you well on your way to a Garmin with Lifetime maps.
I think the Garmin is better than any of our built in Vehicle GPS units, with the Volt being the best of our built in Vehicle ones.
The Garmin units have some other interesting accessories available.
I actually use my Volt GPS a little.
So I am on the fence on this one.
If it was $50 I would pull the trigger.
At $99 I may get just another Garmin.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I just received the offer in the mail and $99 is still a bit much for an update.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK, I got the map update kit yesterday and looked it over. Comes in a nice case with an 8 GB flash drive holding the update. It's listed as the 2018 version, but all the files on the flash drive were written in November of 2016! I went ahead and installed it. The file scan took about 15 minutes, and the actual map update took 114 minutes, so about 2 hours total. I had previously saved some locations where I know new streets have been cut through, and roundabouts added within the last 4 years. None of these locations showed anything different on the "new" maps. Looks like the whole upgrade was a waste of money and time. Wish I could send it back.

Edit: For further reference, under "Radio Settings" and "Software Version Information", this is what changed:

Old: 23466076 Version 10.0F.0D.32
New: 84157655 Version 10.12.10.11

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I bet we find out the new flash drive comes out Nov 2018 :-(

I do not think I get a CD offer every year

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had previously saved some locations where I know new streets have been cut through, and roundabouts added within the last 4 years. None of these locations showed anything different on the "new" maps. Looks like the whole upgrade was a waste of money and time. Wish I could send it back.
Seems like I read a previous forum thread that went like this also on the map update kit. I wonder if they had a bunch of these kits already made up, and now they are like old milk on the shelf they want to get rid of? In any case, I was giving the Garmin unit some more thought, also realized, last time I upgraded our Garmin unit I could transfer all my saved places to the new unit.

We are traveling this week in our RAV4 and the GPS unit in it really sucks so we use the Garmin for any navigation (cell phone service is zero so the phones are worthless too).

We are staying at a place with a blind curve entrance/exit onto a 2 lane road. When you pull out you have to floor it and pray a bit. I really miss having an electric drive train here. I have been driving many years, and have never experienced a place where quickness was needed so much for safety (sorry to get off topic).

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
OK, I got the map update kit yesterday and looked it over. Comes in a nice case with an 8 GB flash drive holding the update. It's listed as the 2018 version, but all the files on the flash drive were written in November of 2016! I went ahead and installed it. The file scan took about 15 minutes, and the actual map update took 114 minutes, so about 2 hours total. I had previously saved some locations where I know new streets have been cut through, and roundabouts added within the last 4 years. None of these locations showed anything different on the "new" maps. Looks like the whole upgrade was a waste of money and time. Wish I could send it back.

Edit: For further reference, under "Radio Settings" and "Software Version Information", this is what changed:

Old: 23466076 Version 10.0F.0D.32
New: 84157655 Version 10.12.10.11
You don't have to send it back, it's worthless to you or them. Ask them for your money back. And if they don't respond positively, ask your credit card company to do it for you.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Back in the day my sister bought a Magellan for something like $1400. When they went over to Europe they got the European update for $600. A few years later I got a Magellan for $99 with one free map update. Now every map update seems to be free. Except for car ones. They are still trying to squeeze money out of the consumer when ever they can. Free updates are common place now and so should the ones in cars. People need to stop spending money an updates and demand them to be free like the rest of the industry or it won't happen.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It amazes me that I can buy a very functional $99 Garmin unit and get lifetime map updates - but updates to the $700 system in my $40K car will cost me $150 every couple of years.

It seems like this would be an excellent perk for GM to offer. They wouldn't have to send out USB stick kits, just make the files available for download to our own stick with VIN access. It would probably cost them less than making up the kits and processing the orders - and they would have some very happy customers. But - that's probably just a wild dream . . . .

Needless to say, I ignored the update. But if I need it, my Garmin is up to date.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts