GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GPS sensor is built into the ONStar system. Is it possible to either download software to display GPS navigation if you didn't pay the rediculous $1000 radio upgrade to get it initially or if you have an external GPS unit to have it display on the vehicles auxiliary screen when plugged into the cars USB port. I suspect this is a simple on/off logic statement in the programming somewhere (for option 1). With the computing power of this vehicle and the updates the competition (Tesla) is capableof for GM to piss off owners this way is looking to lose market when the less expensive Tesla débuts.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
The Tesla Model III will never be less expensive than a Volt. It will be more than $40k to start. The market growth of EVs is just beginning. I have seen people mount a 4G enabled mini iPad over the display to get Nav and lots of options for internet radio.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Although a lot of it is probably just software, my center console actually has a NAV button where cars without NAV have something else placed there. Thus they also designed multiple console covers. I would think it would be easier and more cost effective to make all the center console stuff the same and deal with features as optional apps you could buy even after taking delivery of the car.

I'd love to have an ipad interface to the car through an API where you can design your own frontend to the various functions. I'm not just talking skins here, but actually allowing people to redesign the user experience. I for one don't like how there are 3energy screens when they could have been cleverly combined. Two of them are useful during driving and one useful for charging.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Much like the base radio just needs to be flashed to display a back up camera is should be capable of displaying nav in a similar way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts