GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, 2014 Volt, 3.5 months old, ~4500 miles. In the last 4 days, the Nav system has hung up with a frozen screen and no activity. First two times the screen said "Navigation Initialization". Turning the car off, opening the door and leaving (to go to work, home, Etc) "fixed" the problem. Yesterday, while looking for an address "Waypoint saved" showed up and would not budge. I had time, so I called OnStar, got the volt advisor and got the turn off the car, open door for a minute reset procedure. I did it, it worked....but. Advisor says there is nothing to worry about.

Ok, but:

What is going on? Is the software that buggy? is it getting inputs it does not know how to handle? Is there no watchdog timer or dead man circuit? Is this a nuisance, a problem or A PROBLEM? Anyone know?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had problems with the Nav system in my 2013 Volt pretty much since day 1.

The first problem was encountered several months into ownership in 2013. The navigation display would continuously rotate in cirlces, non-stop. A software update at the dealership seem to take care of that problem. Seemed like the compass was not finding its bearing and continuously spinning as a result.

The second problem, which started soon after the first problem was fixed, and which is still on-going today, is somewhat intermittent in nature. The Nav system quite often never makes it past the "Initializing" screen. Sometimes the Nav system initiates just fine, but more often than not it freezes at the Initialization stage. This makes my car's Nav system pretty much useless and unreliable. I bring along a portable Garmin if I need directions somewhere.

Some have suggested the Nav system may be looking for locations, updates, etc. from the Sirius XM radio service, but I do not believe that is the problem. I subscribe to XM but not the add-on packages.

I believe problems do arise if one launches the Navigation system but happens to be out of reach of the satellites due to tree cover or driving along side a large box truck that blocks the line of site. I've noticed this seems to lock up the Nav system and it does not recover until the next re-boot.

I seem to have better luck with initialization if I launch the Nav system while stopped and in Park (and in-line of satellites), rather than driving down the road. But even then, it very frequently does not initialize.

It is not that convenient for me to drop the car off at the dealership for a day of troubleshooting, but I guess that is what I will have to do.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any chance that either of you have another device plugged into the USB port?
I thought of that and pulled the USB stick I had in after the first time it happened. Not been in since and still 2 occasions, one initialization and one waypoint.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Take it in to a dealer.
There are both USB sourced firmware updates as well as other updates for the Nav radios via the DLC.
Both need to be performed by a dealer
WOT

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take it in to a dealer.
There are both USB sourced firmware updates as well as other updates for the Nav radios via the DLC.
Both need to be performed by a dealer
WOT
THANKS!
(Are there any special codes or secret handshakes or magic bulletins I can refer to?)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
THANKS!
(Are there any special codes or secret handshakes or magic bulletins I can refer to?)
Well not really. Just bring it in describing almost any concern with the Nav radio, and it's getting fully reprogrammed as a first step.
There was a bulletin specific to the 2014 issues though.
Do a search on here for PI1114 as this has been discussed previously. There is also another bulletin PI1100 which affects both 2013 and 14 models where the GPS signal is intermittently lost (freezing or blanking the screen) due to a potential USB cable connection issue identified, but they may not even pursue that unless the software updates don't resolve the concern.

WOT

·
Registered
94 Posts
Any chance that either of you have another device plugged into the USB port?
I have a 2013 volt with nav and always use the usb port for music. I have never had a problem with the nav system, and I use it all the time, although I have never used some of the features such as waypoints. I have had the car a little over a year and bought the car used so I don't know if there have been any software updates.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, WOT, thanks for that!

Bluestreak

·
Registered
35 Posts
I guess it's nice to not be the only one with issues related to the Nav. I hope the software update works for you. I had mine updated two weeks ago. When I bought my car in January it would do similar things to what you are describing every single time the Navigation was used. After the software update it was much improved...in that it only does it 2 out of 3 times or so. My issues seem to be independent of having anything plugged into the USB port.

Your initial issues are less than mine so hopefully the software update will be a full success for you.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That really is the reason I keep looking at the forum, 3 years after buying my 1st Volt. It's a complex, very software-intensive vehicle and stuff happens.
I don't quite see how the GPS software could behave so differently, but I am happy there is a update for it. I just got the Strut email today so now I have three minor things to have a dealer look at, my trip point for a visit. We'll see how it all goes.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: The dealer says my radio has the latest software, but they went ahead and restored it anyway (software, firmware, FPGA code, system parameters, I wonder what actually is updated?). So, I guess I get to see what happens and hope it does not happen with my wife in the car.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yep. Every once in a while it needs a reboot and re flash... We've had a few ourselves in ours. No updates, but for some reason a re flash works. Did have one module replaces as it was being flaky and those problem went away which were not NAV related.

Occasionally we still get NAV freeze ups. It has been at least 6 months (knock on wood) since that happened.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For anyone contemplating a Volt, avoid the nav system at all costs. Mine on my 2013 Volt has been quirky and inaccurate every since I got it. I have ben told to make a U turn on a concrete wall divided highway at 100KM/h. In areas I know well, it often takes me well out of my way to get to my destination. It is way overpriced when you consider the upgrades you need to get to have it. For a recent long road trip I bought a plug in unit from a major manufacturer for the car I was going to rent. It hands down beat the Volt's nav system and cost less than $300. That includes voice activation and lifetime free map updates. I love my Volt, but cannot understand how GM, with all of its resources, can put out such a poor product.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Navigation/entertainment system woes

Ditto to the above. I also bought a 2013 Volt with Nav system - malfunctioned right from the start and had to bring it back to the dealer at least 5 or 6 times. They ended up replacing the Nav system twice. It doesn't seem to do the freezing/restarting as much anymore, but the reliability/functionality of the navigation system is awful. I ended up buying a Garmin GPS with lifetime updates - very accurate, and I don't have to take my Volt back to the dealer over and over. Gave up on Sirius - got way too expensive and I only listed to maybe 4 or 5 of the stations routinely. I prefer the podcasts and streaming music from my phone - but wait! Trying to stream through the Volt entertainment system by Bluetooth is equally buggy. Very disappointed that I spent the extra money on these features - it wasn't worth it!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nav screen spinning

I had the same problem mentioned above of the spinning nav screen. Took it in and had it reprogrammed, but that didn't work. So they replaced the whole unit under warranty. It's been fine since. We often have a USB stick inserted with music, but it didn't occur to me that that might have an effect on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The recognized problem with the usb is not from normal usage. The problem arises when owner uses USB to charge a devise and then disconnect the devise from the cable leaving the cable plugged in connected to nothing. These cables are 2 way cables and when nothing is connected it is possible the cable acts as antenna and sends random signals to the car confusing the computer module. My Equinox froze solid, camera froze, even buttons did not work. After door close reset all was fine and has been in the many months since with no cable attached to USB without a devise connected.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Well, I just brought home a used 2013 Volt 2 days ago. It does not have NAV. But the stereo locked up the first night. I went in and accidentally clicked on "scan stations" and so it went into this mode where it started scanning and was taking a while. So I clicked "cancel" and then it locked up. I turned the car off after about 10 minutes to see if that would help. Nope, car came right back to the same screen. I couldn't even change the volume on the radio and no buttons on the dash worked at all. I had to go pull the 12V power lead from the battery to get it to reset. It hasn't happened again. Hope that is the last time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts