GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone describe which (if any) functions are locked out using the factory navigation system while the car is in motion? While test driving a 2017 Volt, I noticed that I was able to manually type a POI destination using the on-screen keyboard after dismissing a safety warning. However, the salesman was in the passenger seat and I'm wondering if I would've been blocked from doing this action had he not been there.

One feature I've always appreciated about German cars is that they allow the driver to access most of the infotainment/nav settings while the car was in motion, whereas most other brands seem to "nanny-cap" their systems. Which doesn't bother me terribly as long as the blocked features are available using voice commands, but in many cases there's no solution other than to stop the vehicle.

Please refrain from making judgments about the safety ramifications of interacting with the screen while driving. There are plenty of instances where doing so is the safest option.

·
Registered
788 Posts
From my experience you can pick from preexisting lists (addresses, POIs, etc...) but only the first results shown on screen. The ability to scroll and/or select 'more results' are not available.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You can use voice commands to input an address while the Gen 2 Volt is in motion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How was I able to enter a destination using the on-screen keyboard while driving? Is the lockout functionality disabled when someone is sensed in the passenger seat?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've driven with a passenger in the front seat of my Gen 2 Volt and we were unable to enter an address using the on-screen keyboard because it was locked out - voice input worked fine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've noticed this too - I think if a passenger is in the front seat, it will let you type stuff in with a warning. If no one is in the car with me, it gives me the middle finger and tells me that I have to use voice commands.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've noticed this too - I think if a passenger is in the front seat, it will let you type stuff in with a warning. If no one is in the car with me, it gives me the middle finger and tells me that I have to use voice commands.
If that's true, there might be a relatively simple way to defeat it. Not my area of expertise but I'll certainly be keeping an eye out in case others figure out how.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts