GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all,

Thanks to all of you experienced owners who have taught me so much while I have lurked here for the last couple of months while I have waited for my Volt to arrive!

Joy of joys, my Volt is sitting at the dealership about a mile away from my house. I think I will have a hard time sleeping tonight! It just arrived on the truck this evening, and we are scheduled to do the deal tomorrow. BUT... our negotiated price was for "dealer invoice," which didn't include any "national advertising fees" 2 months ago. Now, however, they are claiming that those fees have been tacked onto their invoice since then. One is for almost $200, and the other is for almost $300. They showed me the invoice that they pulled for me then, and those fees were not there when I placed the order, but they are there now.

Um, what?

Please set me straight. If they are legit fees, okay. I did agree to pay whatever the dealer invoice was at the time of delivery, but this just doesn't seem right to me. Did I screw up? Can/should I refuse to pay these fees?

It almost feels like I'm being punished for qualifying for the 0% and extra $2000 off on top of my deal...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Why the h-e-double-hockeysticks should you pay to cover their advertising??!?

Sounds like a dirty trick to me. Better informed folks will no doubt chime in, but speaking for myself only, I would protest vociferously.

·
Registered
667 Posts
You should have a signed contract copy with all the numbers. If they are trying to add to the contract they can't.
Pay what your written contract shows not a nickel more...no matter what.

Contracts are binding to both parties.....if there is language allowing ad fees then you must abide by that statement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the input. Thing is, we never signed a contract. All we had was a verbal agreement to pay dealer invoice at the time of delivery, with an internet printout of what "dealer invoice" amounted to at that time. In fact, I gave them a $100 check to place the order, and they neglected to cash it. The finance manager handed it back to me tonight. My naiveté is showing, I guess...

...Also theirs. I could technically stick them with this car. I could say that I don't want it now. However, I want it, and they know I want it...Aughhhhhh... Danger of living in a small town, I guess.

Still, I would love for someone "in the know" to chime in here. It feels unfair to pay more than we agreed to, and I don't feel that advertising fees were a part of any of that. I could leave the car there, but I would definitely feel awful about it, considering this is the only Volt this dealership will have sold to an individual.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Advertising fee? Yet this is the only Volt they've sold? Complete hogwash.

You are buying a car, not making a charitable donation.

I have never heard of such a gimmicky "fee." Deal is off with no remorse on my part, if I were in your shoes.

You have every right to feel you got a good and square deal.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Cancel on them, letting them know you want to feel you are being treated honestly and you will favor dealerships that treat you appropriately, do not fool around while they try to weasel around more with you but go to the nearest volume Volt dealer who will incidentally probably have your Volt or close match in stock and will give you $4,000 or more off the price.

You will leave happy and glad you stood up for what is right.

And the next customer at the other dealership will be treated well, with no ridiculous fees.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Some advertising fees are legit, it's tacked onto each sale to fund all the ads on TV and such.

Here's how edmunds puts it:
"Advertising fees:
Sometimes buyers look up invoice prices on Edmunds and find they don't match the invoice price given by a dealer. Is the dealer trying to put one over on the buyer? Not necessarily. This is probably because an advertising fee is involved. If an advertising fee is listed on the car's invoice we consider it a legitimate fee that should be paid. However, if the advertising fee is written into the buying contract by the dealer it is another example of a dealer trying to pass along his expense to the buyer."

·
Registered
62 Posts
They are gonna make some cash on you!! But hey, its their business to do so. It is also your business and your money. They can give you a deal of $1,500 off of invoice (plus the 2K rebate). This is the most I would pay. This brings the deal to around $4,500 off of MSRP. When the inventory picks up in a month or so, they will come down some. Of course they want to tug on your heartstrings and act like your friend, but all they want is your cash...To them, car sales is a serious game...and they are dammn good at it. They use every trick in the book. This invoice thing is a bunch of BS!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If its the only Volt they have sold consider future sevice visits...you want experience and at least one fully trained tech...it takes hurdreds of hours of class.

Also note GM has been deeply discounting the car to high volume dealers. Let the current dealer consider not charging you fees while you shop around. At least get a deal on one other Volt to bargain with. Be fair to yourself.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Its completely legit, dealers get charged by region for the advertising, its a bottom line cost to the dealer on top of the invoice price of the car.

The Volt is currently selling well, its very possible if you pass on the car you ordered, you will pay more somewhere else, if you can find one.

Getting one at invoice is a very fair price

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tell them that it is a deal breaker for you, and walk away. They'll call you back. When was the last time you saw an advertisement for a Volt anyway?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Spoke with the finance manager this morning and told him that we would need to wait until Monday, as we were "still struggling with the idea of paying the advertising fees," and said there was a chance the deal would not go through at all. He said he would speak with the boss. Got a call a couple of hours later, with news that they will waive the fees in order to keep our good will.

Ahh, that's much better.

Turns out I'll still have to wait 'till Monday now anyway. The electricity went out in town (to include the dealership) today! They have no idea when they'll be back online. That's okay. It gives me more time to gamble with getting one of those private offers I keep hearing about on the Chevy web site.

Thanks again for all the input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts