GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I left the house with a full charge, drove an approximate 14 round trip and noted that the energy display showed 4.7 kwh used. I plugged the car in and fully charged it. I notice that the charging history for this charge on myvolt.com shows 5.79 kwh "used" for the charge (4 hr and 29 min at 120v BTW). My question is, "Why the difference"?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The other day, I left the house with a full charge, drove an approximate 14 round trip and noted that the energy display showed 4.7 kwh used. I plugged the car in and fully charged it. I notice that the charging history for this charge on myvolt.com shows 5.79 kwh "used" for the charge (4 hr and 29 min at 120v BTW). My question is, "Why the difference"?
Short answer: There's overhead in the charging scheme. Others will come along and give a more comprehensive answer.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Basically efficiency losses in the charger, efficiency losses in the battery, and TMS system.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A much bigger issue is that in myvolt.com, each of my pre-conditions is listed as the same kWh as the previous full charge. For example, I'll have the car on a timed charge to finish at 6:00 am. That charge will consume 12 kWh. Then I will pre-condition the car which kicks on the charger again. The charging history on myvolt.com will say 12 for the charge and another 12 for the pre-condition, so it completely overstates my electric usage.

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
That happened to me a couple of times, but I haven't noticed it recently. All kW usage seems to fall in line with what it should be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts