GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very happy with the 2017 Volt, disappointed with MyVolt's reported/downloaded charging and mileage feedback due to inaccuracies, discrepancies, and gaps. Before posting a litany, I thought I'd ask the forum whether others have experienced issues recently and whether the problem lies with the Volt's data collection and storage, or are limited to the retrieval and presentation software. The latter can most kindly be termed a work in progress. Is there a third party device (eg an OBD2) can be plugged in, say one a month, to extract dependable raw charging and mileage data, for independent review and analysis on a Windows laptop. Thanks

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
We had better easy to get data on voltstats -then GM limited the date that could be collected from the car.

What type of mileage are you talking about ?

yes : lots of data over the last 5+ years from people with OBD2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see that each trip is stored by date, start time and distance, and charging by start time, end time, duration and KWh, with both sets retrievable as csv files. MyVolt only reports distance in whole numbers, truncating (12.99 mi as 12) rather than rounding, assuring an accumulating error, and is best neglected until improved. But the csv data has issues too, with some some trips illogically showing higher electric miles than total miles. Wondering how the data is stored in the Volt, whether these are just reporting errors, and whether an OBD2 would let me get to the raw stored data once a month or so. If so, I'd appreciate recommendations for a basic/economical device that would allow me to retrieve the trip and charging data and transfer it to a laptop (not necessarily by bluetooth or wifi). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
mygreenvolt app and an ODB2 bluetooth adapter will let you create a file of data.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It would be nicer to get the kWh usage of the vehicle, much easier to put into a model of predicting cost. Any way to get these numbers beyond writing them down every time from the infotainment screen when the car is shut down?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Myvolt is useless.
Used to be flawless for me 2014-15 and now I don't even bother to look if it even has data.

The only way to capture from the car itself is every charge cycle record the 'Wh last charge' PID. This has to be done once every time before you plug in again to charge. There is no historical kWh PID that I've seen.
I haven't looked at 2016+ PIDs, but I would imagine the Wh used one is still there.

The kWh used on the display, at least for gen1, doesn't seem to translate to OBD.
If there is a certain trip you'd like to record, easiest way is just snap a pic with your phone when you shut down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ditto. All I need to download from OBD2 is cumulative mileage driven (plain old odometer reading), cumulative gas mileage driven, cumulative gallons used and cumulative kWh used. This is available somehow in MyVolt, but erratic, unreliable, and requires OnStar. Does anybody know how to extract this info with an OB2 plug, or more specifically, what are the PIDs of these parameters?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts