GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mystery with my new 2016 Volt Premier. It’s a cool one. On the dashboard by the vents near the windshield there is a small rectangular opening right in front of the driver. Where it’s positioned I thought it was a defrost vent. You cannot see it in the pictures of the 2016 VOLT on the web. Recently I was driving down route 231 in New York and there was an unmarked police car parked perpendicular to the road checking speed with radar. As I was directly in front of that car an LED bright red rectangle flashed out of that box onto the windshield for a second or two. I looked at the opening with a flashlight and it is covered with clear plastic and below that is a dark surface angled toward the windshield. It looks like it could be a currently unprogrammed or turned off heads up display. I can find nothing in the manual or on the web about it. Anyone have any clues? Could it be a HUD that will be programmed when the 2017 comes out? The car can receive software upgrades, so...

·
Registered
968 Posts
its your forward collision avoidance alert light

see p199 of the manual
@tkraemer - you should have an audible beep also come on with the flashing light, if not then you might want to investigate further as Highlander has pointed you to the manual.

Good luck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
its your forward collision avoidance alert light

see p199 of the manual
It's this. As you're coming up on another car too fast, it'll flash - it's just 3 red LEDs unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It's this. As you're coming up on another car too fast, it'll flash - it's just 3 red LEDs unfortunately.
For me, the flashing red lights are a good reminder for me to slow down. I like it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
does the forward avoidance alert light come standard on Premier? Or is it associated with one of the packages?

·
Registered
488 Posts
does the forward avoidance alert light come standard on Premier? Or is it associated with one of the packages?
nevermind... it's Confidence Pkg 2

·
Registered
224 Posts
Funny story on this. Before driving up from SoCal to NorCal in the new '16, I looked through the quick start guide and only skimmed the manual. On the I-5, something triggered the forward collision avoidance light--I believe it must have been tumbleweeds, as it was windy that night.

Scared me to death. As I was going pretty fast on the I-5, I thought I got caught in a speed trap by the highway patrol--somehow my first thoughts were that the red LEDs were light bars on a patrol car. Glad they weren't.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, guess what? I found out it's the front collision avoidance light! Nothing as cool as a HUD...

Thanks everybody.

Tom

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Having had 3 cars so far with HUD, you are not missing much.

When racing, you don't see it (you are looking much further ahead, and you shift by ear/feel), and when driving, it's just distracting.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Having owned a HUD car and talking to others, it gets old, quick and most end up shutting it off...

There are cheap ebay options for about $50 if you'd like to get a taste of it...There are also $300 devices like the Navdy (isn't out yet) that can display maps and texts...

GMs current HUD doesn't display any with maps (will display either a left or right arrow) yet I could see HUD displayed maps being useful if you're using your driving to a bunch of different places you're not familiar with...Yet if you drove for your job, you're probably not going to want a Volt anyways...

The future isn't going to be a HUD that displays the speed limit, the future which the Telsa has is the camera reading speed limits and adjusting your speed for you...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts