GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I suppose it was bound to happen sometime. My 2011 with 70k miles has been 99.9% flawless. But recently I had a mystery CEL that OnStar could not diagnose.

I soon experienced the following:

1. With an empty battery charging at 240v would be interrupted within about 15 minutes of starting. My Siemens Versacharge unit would light up red. My fall-back 240v OpenEVSE unit would suffer a similar fate. The supply line tested fine and it's doubtfull both units would have an internal failure. I did not test a public charging station.
  2. Charging with the 120v EVSE worked fine, completely charging the battery without issue.
  3. Plugging in the 240v EVSE as a maintenance tender seemed to be fine if the battery was full.
  4. I went through three full battery discharges/recharges (using the 120V EVSE), the CEL remained, and 240V charging of a depleted battery would fail (#1 above).

My dealer identified the causes as PIC5920E. Code S1E98 Doc 2413251

Anyway, two components needed to be replaced, one being a high voltage contactor assembly. The battery gets dropped for these replacements of course.

As we have seen many times, it will take a while to get parts. Is there an online forum I use to rant and say how upset I am, bashing the car, GM and the dealer? lol Seriously, there are a few parts in dealer's hands, but they are spoken for.

The car can be driven, but the tech says it's possible the 120v charging will also stop if one of the components (the HV contactor?) completely fails. At that point the car would be undriveable and need a tow to the dealer.

So, we wait and see...

·
Registered
50 Posts
As we have seen many times, it will take a while to get parts. Is there an online forum I use to rant and say how upset I am, bashing the car, GM and the dealer? lol Seriously, there are a few parts in dealer's hands, but they are spoken for.

So, we wait and see...
I have been waiting for more than a week for the relay assembly. Why do you think this is the case?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Try the Corvette forum for complaints. :) I would suspect limited parts availability is the combination of low numbers of Volt sales and a low failure rate for the part so they do not stock many.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try the Corvette forum for complaints. :) I would suspect limited parts availability is the combination of low numbers of Volt sales and a low failure rate for the part so they do not stock many.

Yes, that would be the place for those with Volt anger management issues, haha.

Regarding waiting on parts, yes, I agree with your reasons.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Steverino. Hope you get it fixed in short order. Bummer you'll have to drive it using the ICE but not the end of the world.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear about this Steverino. Hope you get it fixed in short order. Bummer you'll have to drive it using the ICE but not the end of the world.
I'm fine even if the battery isn't. I was just joking about the rant. This car has been stellar.

I've decided to leave it at the dealer while they determine the parts situation. Having it totally stop and need a tow is not something I want to risk. If it was my only car I'd print out the towing guide just in case and risk it.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update. So the part that was out of stock arrived and it took a day to do the repair. Total time for repair was one day but took two weeks due to a part shortage. The $1758 repair ($1208 parts, $550 labor for 4.5 hrs) was covered under warranty.

Cause is listed as PIC5920E. Code S1E98 Doc 2413251. (None of these have been posted on GM-Volt before now, at least not that I can find.) Found shorted relay in battery energy module and relay. Replaced battery energy module and relay.

Parts: 022911435 Module, 023209396 Relay, 022880967 Seal, 022880968 Seal, 022880969 Seal, 022880970 Seal, 022880970 Seal, 012378390 Coolant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts