GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 premier, anyone know if/how it updates? I have asked a few dealers and gotten different answers or resistance despite having valid warranty...I know there are map updates, but I am more about the firmware, etc...

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I have a 2017 premier, anyone know if/how it updates? I have asked a few dealers and gotten different answers or resistance despite having valid warranty...I know there are map updates, but I am more about the firmware, etc...
There are multiple service bulletins, some involving just software updates for most modern vehicles. Unless your vehicle is affected (based on the VIN) or if you have a valid issue that you bring to the service department's attention the dealer is not required to apply any and all service updates just because these exist. If there is a safety or emission system recall you will be notified by mail. The dealer will apply the approved fix to the recall issue when you bring the vehicle in for service. In the meantime, relax and enjoy your Volt.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As jcanoe said, if there's an issue you're expriencing then the dealer MAY have an update, but you have to take the car in for a check of the system. (As a point of information, the 2019 Infotainment 3 system that replaced the MyLink system performs system updates via the vehicle's 4G connection. If you have the nav maps service from GM then maps are checked and updated everytime the vehicle starts.)

·
Registered
297 Posts
As jcanoe said, if there's an issue you're expriencing then the dealer MAY have an update, but you have to take the car in for a check of the system. (As a point of information, the 2019 Infotainment 3 system that replaced the MyLink system performs system updates via the vehicle's 4G connection. If you have the nav maps service from GM then maps are checked and updated everytime the vehicle starts.)

Do you happen to know the infotainment version number that this started with. As the dealer just updated my 2016 to add the android auto, I'm wondering if I have this now (sorry for hijack)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Do you happen to know the infotainment version number that this started with. As the dealer just updated my 2016 to add the android auto, I'm wondering if I have this now (sorry for hijack)
No you don't - sorry. It's because the hardware is different as well as the software.

The Gen 2 Volt is pretty unique as each model year so far has seen different radio hardware with different capabilities. Unfortunately they do not appear to be backwards compatible from a software standpoint (e.g. you can't load v3 software on a v2 radio).

Basically - 2016 is v1, 2017 is v2, Late 2017-2018 is v3, 2019 is the completely different CUE-based system.

In the v3 radio hardware they added the ability for OTA updates (for Infotainment apps only) and the 'Marketplace' app/downloadable content.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the market place is the main reason for the inquiry and possible OTA (the dealer's service rep eluded to it)...kept seeing it pop up here and there on docs and websites but never materialized on my dash...Used to have an AVIC Z series and accustomed to periodic updates for that...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts