GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started up tonight and no display. The radio was playing but none of the control buttons or volume knob worked. Shifted into reverse and the camera does not work either. My iPhone indicates that it cannot connect to the car so it does not work either. I had this happen twice before and the dealer did something to get it working the last time so it's back to the dealer in the morning. I did take a video of the symptoms just in case it works in the morning.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Had this happen to me twice during my first year of ownership. First time, it resolved on its own. Second time it did not. Right before I brought it to the dealer, I attempted to resolve by pulling the three (!) fuses related to the Infotainment system and putting them back in. The fuses in question are: Radio, Display, and Infotainment.

Doing this resolved the issue and it hasn't happened since. Not sure if this will solve your issue but it's worth a shot. Symptoms in my case were:
Radio worked but no display and controls were non-responsive
When car was shut off, radio would keep playing and not turn off like it should
Touchscreen backlight was on (could see it at night) and the display felt warm to the touch

·
Registered
119 Posts
More than likely a bad Human Interface Module. I'm on my 3rd one. It's a hassle to bring it to the dealer but best to get it replaced before your warranty expires. For me it was in 2 days each time. If you had issues with Android Auto or Apple Car Play in the past might complain about that as well. There may be a software update to apply to your Infotainment System as well to reduce Android Auto and Apple Car Play issues.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Started up tonight and no display. The radio was playing but none of the control buttons or volume knob worked. Shifted into reverse and the camera does not work either. My iPhone indicates that it cannot connect to the car so it does not work either. I had this happen twice before and the dealer did something to get it working the last time so it's back to the dealer in the morning. I did take a video of the symptoms just in case it works in the morning.
I had this happen to me a few times in my first 5 months of ownership and it was totally random. Same symptoms described by you and dannycamps. If I remember correctly when this occurred I was able to control the radio with my steering wheel controls when it happened but not 100% sure. It would fix itself after I walked away from the car to go into my work. When I came back an hour later to check it, I would find that it was resolved.

More than likely a bad Human Interface Module. I'm on my 3rd one. It's a hassle to bring it to the dealer but best to get it replaced before your warranty expires. For me it was in 2 days each time. If you had issues with Android Auto or Apple Car Play in the past might complain about that as well. There may be a software update to apply to your Infotainment System as well to reduce Android Auto and Apple Car Play issues.
Interestingly the symptom never happened to me again after I had my Human Machine Interface (HMI) unit replaced because the dealer bricked the unit during my Android Auto update. It's been over 2.5 years since that was done, and I've never had the issue return. Could be a coincidence but maybe not. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts