GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Shop App will be able to be added to the 2016 MyLink? From what I read we'll need the 4GLTE access to use the function. I would think the MyLink would be the similar if not the same from 2016 thru 2018 models. Maybe just an update like when Android Auto was added.

http://www.gm.com/mol/m-2017-dec-1205-marketplace.html

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
In general, GM does not upgrade older cars for newer tech. Even apps. The Android Auto app was designed in so it could be added later. I seriously doubt that this new marketplace app was on the drawing board in 2014/15.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
In general, GM does not upgrade older cars for newer tech. Even apps. The Android Auto app was designed in so it could be added later. I seriously doubt that this new marketplace app was on the drawing board in 2014/15.
Actually, the original intent of MyLink (MY 2013+) was that apps could be added by the user, just like a phone or tablet. The cars came with Pandora, but you were supposed to be able to add Spotify, Last.fm, etc, but this never happened. I've seen old adds for the system that showed this, but they've mostly been quietly scrubbed from the web. Still a bit bitter that I bought something with promised features that never materialized, though I'm not sure I'd use them a lot anyway. I'd love to hear from someone on the inside about what happened and why...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Pandora? Where?

You would think that the highest tech car GM sells would come with the most bells and whistles. Adding this is software only and the incremental cost is essentially zero.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pandora? Where?

You would think that the highest tech car GM sells would come with the most bells and whistles. Adding this is software only and the incremental cost is essentially zero.
There was a message this morning on my Infotainment screen that AppStore was successfully updated/installed. I didn't have a chance to check it out yet, but I do know there are various apps available on my 2018 LT. I have the weather app installed at present. Maybe I can take some photos of what apps are available...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
There was a message this morning on my Infotainment screen that AppStore was successfully updated/installed. I didn't have a chance to check it out yet, but I do know there are various apps available on my 2018 LT. I have the weather app installed at present. Maybe I can take some photos of what apps are available...
I would be curious to see the pictures. There is nothing like this available on my 2017.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Actually, the original intent of MyLink (MY 2013+) was that apps could be added by the user, just like a phone or tablet. The cars came with Pandora, but you were supposed to be able to add Spotify, Last.fm, etc, but this never happened. I've seen old adds for the system that showed this, but they've mostly been quietly scrubbed from the web. Still a bit bitter that I bought something with promised features that never materialized, though I'm not sure I'd use them a lot anyway. I'd love to hear from someone on the inside about what happened and why...
As well as CUE, but, that never happened either. I know of at least one person that got a full refund from GM because they promised a CUE update and never delivered on that promise. CUE does have Pandora, however. Even 2014.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be curious to see the pictures. There is nothing like this available on my 2017.
From what I understand, you need the 4G LTE subscription on. The article states 2017/2018. The 2016 should be the same as 2017. It was only rolled out to select areas in 2016 and became the 2017.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pandora? Where?

I have Pandora on mine. ??

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It makes sense that they make you buy their wi-fi to get apps.

Do you have the 4G wi-fi subscription?
When I got the car I had the Pandora app already installed. I also had the 4G LTE trial. I just bought 1GB per month for $10 today to see if I would get any updates. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"GM is making it possible to shop right from your vehicle’s infotainment system, while on the go. The carmaker is pushing out an update for model year 2017 and later vehicles, which will go out to all cars even if the owner doesn’t have a paid in-car Wi-Fi data subscription, that adds ‘Marketplace,’ a new kind of commerce platform." Interesting. You don't even need a paid Wi-Fi subscription.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/05/gm-launches-marketplace-for-in-car-shopping-and-reservations/

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
"GM is making it possible to shop right from your vehicle’s infotainment system, while on the go. The carmaker is pushing out an update for model year 2017 and later vehicles, which will go out to all cars even if the owner doesn’t have a paid in-car Wi-Fi data subscription, that adds ‘Marketplace,’ a new kind of commerce platform." Interesting. You don't even need a paid Wi-Fi subscription.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/05/gm-launches-marketplace-for-in-car-shopping-and-reservations/
Talk about distracted driving :)

I guess it makes sense that if they can make money off of you, then you can connect to their wi-fi for free. There's always an angle.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
This past Saturday while out running errands I got a message on our 2017 GMC Acadia telling my of some application update that would be loaded at the next ignition event, odd language. I dismissed it, but I just went out and looked and sure enough I now have the new MARKET PLACE app along with my other apps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a 2018 Volt LT. Here are some photos of the Apps and the Marketplace app installed and what it is showing. It was pretty sluggish and took a few times before it actually worked (said the servers were busy or not available, but it finally worked). It was very sluggish though and I don't think I will ever use this app. I don't think we have Dunkin Donuts in Canada or Exxon Mobil either... (we have Esso, not sure it's the same....but I'm not going to a gas station in my Volt normally! lol :)

PS - sorry if the files are sideways....they are not like that on my computer but when I uploaded them to this website it rotated them...

20171206_163803.jpg 20171206_163533.jpg 20171206_163611.jpg 20171206_164656.jpg 20171206_164715.jpg

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I don't think we have Dunkin Donuts in Canada or Exxon Mobil either... (we have Esso, not sure it's the same....]
Esso is what Exxon was called before they changed the name. Apparently Esso means something in a far away language, so they did an extensive search for a name that meant nothing in any known language and came up with Exxon.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I drove a '17 Malibu Hybrid a few months ago while my Volt was in the shop. The MyLink system in the Malibu had the marketplace/app store option on it. When I tried, there were only three apps listed (the weather channel one and two others that I don't recall).

It's nice to see GM adding features. I just hope they will make it to my '17 Volt.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a 2018 Volt LT. Here are some photos of the Apps and the Marketplace app installed and what it is showing. It was pretty sluggish and took a few times before it actually worked (said the servers were busy or not available, but it finally worked). It was very sluggish though and I don't think I will ever use this app. I don't think we have Dunkin Donuts in Canada or Exxon Mobil either... (we have Esso, not sure it's the same....but I'm not going to a gas station in my Volt normally! lol :)

PS - sorry if the files are sideways....they are not like that on my computer but when I uploaded them to this website it rotated them...

View attachment 144217 View attachment 144225 View attachment 144233 View attachment 144241 View attachment 144249
Interesting that your Volt shows the signal strength on the 4g LTE connection. My 17 does not show that or the wifi logo next to it.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts