GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new volt today and tried out the myChevrolet app. Seems like a huge waste of money. I'm still trying to figure out if the app will provide any function for free.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I bought a new volt today and tried out the myChevrolet app. Seems like a huge waste of money. I'm still trying to figure out if the app will provide any function for free.
The following article will help explain your options under GM's new OnStar plans: http://canada.autonews.com/article/20180430/CANADA01/304309996/gm-positions-onstar-as-revenue-centre-brand-builder

If, like most Chevrolet owners, you want to be able to use the remote key fob functions of the MyChevrolet App then you will need to sign up for one of the paid plans. The least expensive plan that includes the key fob functions is the Remote Access Plan ($14.99/mo or $149.90/yr)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
IMO it's not worth it. During the 90 day trial I used the preconditioning (remote start) feature of the application a total of two times. I did view the status of my vehicle much more but that was primarily because I could and not because I needed to. IMO $14.99/month is too much for what it offers. I can precondition my car with my keyfob and I don't have to hunt for the application, start it up, wait for it to connect to the vehicle, etc.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The following article will help explain your options under GM's new OnStar plans: http://canada.autonews.com/article/20180430/CANADA01/304309996/gm-positions-onstar-as-revenue-centre-brand-builder

If, like most Chevrolet owners, you want to be able to use the remote key fob functions of the MyChevrolet App then you will need to sign up for one of the paid plans. The least expensive plan that includes the key fob functions is the Remote Access Plan ($14.99/mo or $149.90/yr)
Unlock the door by pressing button on key FOB or pay @149/yr to unlock the door by pressing button on the phone, what to do...what to do......

·
Registered
219 Posts
Unlock the door by pressing button on key FOB or pay @149/yr to unlock the door by pressing button on the phone, what to do...what to do......
LOL

Tip: You can pull up the my chevrolet website on your phone through your web browser and at least you can see your charging info. No preconditioning or door locks though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL

Tip: You can pull up the my chevrolet website on your phone through your web browser and at least you can see your charging info. No preconditioning or door locks though.
I have started using the website as well. I do wonder how the car sends info to the website. Does that mean that onstart is providing that service for free?
Side note: why does the web site always as me for verification each time i go to it. is that normal or did I mess up somehow?

·
Registered
108 Posts
IMO it's not worth it. During the 90 day trial I used the preconditioning (remote start) feature of the application a total of two times. I did view the status of my vehicle much more but that was primarily because I could and not because I needed to. IMO $14.99/month is too much for what it offers. I can precondition my car with my keyfob and I don't have to hunt for the application, start it up, wait for it to connect to the vehicle, etc.
Exactly. Now if they would allow you to start and drive the car without the keyfob, that might make it worth it to some.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have started using the website as well. I do wonder how the car sends info to the website. Does that mean that onstart is providing that service for free?
Side note: why does the web site always as me for verification each time i go to it. is that normal or did I mess up somehow?
I'm guessing here but once you log into the website and click the "View Charging Stats and History" button it requests the data from the car.

As far as having to re-authenticate every time you use the site it works the same for me. Go figure...

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you haven't signed up to extend from 1-month to 3-months, don't do it. Just go with the default 1-month trial; the agent will push you to sign up when you do the welcome call; don't give them your cc info. It will save you time for not having to call back to cancel after 3 months.

And, no it is not worth $15 a month for this remote key fob features.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This question keeps coming up. I believe the truth is that you'll get remote key fob and some remote status (ev range, gas range, etc) for 5 years. After that you would need to buy the $15 plan. I'm on month 3 and it's still working for me.

I agree with most that it won't be worth $15/mo when the time comes. For now, though, I do use it. Particularly the remote condition since I sometimes want to do that out of range of the physical key fob.

·
Registered
44 Posts
preconditioning is useful in cold winters and hot summers.

Vehicle charging status is a bit of a gimmick. Nice to know but can do without.

Comes down to if you find those services are worth you paying $15/month.
A bit steep imo. I would if it was $5/month

·
Read Only
0 Posts
This question keeps coming up. I believe the truth is that you'll get remote key fob and some remote status (ev range, gas range, etc) for 5 years. After that you would need to buy the $15 plan. I'm on month 3 and it's still working for me.

I agree with most that it won't be worth $15/mo when the time comes. For now, though, I do use it. Particularly the remote condition since I sometimes want to do that out of range of the physical key fob.
It depends on when you purchased your Volt. My 90 day trial ended a little over a week ago (I purchased my Volt on 6/1/2018). The MyChevy says "Upgrade Now" for the "Remote Commands", "Vehicle Status", "Wi-fi Hotspot", "Safety & Security", and "Navigation".

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I called onstar and asked them about my.chevrolet.com and they said that once you drop the sub to onstar you will not be able to see any charging info from your car on the app or my.chevrolet.com

Guess I will find out in 3 months. there is no way im paying that much for a onstar services.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Well I called onstar and asked them about my.chevrolet.com and they said that once you drop the sub to onstar you will not be able to see any charging info from your car on the app or my.chevrolet.com

Guess I will find out in 3 months. there is no way im paying that much for a onstar services.
I think their safety service could be worth the money (not to me, but others). But $14.99 / month just to remote start / see the state of charge / tire pressure (which never seems to match what I measure with my tire gauge) is, IMO, too much. I can't imagine this service costs them so much as they couldn't continue including this service at no cost for five years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think their safety service could be worth the money (not to me, but others). But $14.99 / month just to remote start / see the state of charge / tire pressure (which never seems to match what I measure with my tire gauge) is, IMO, too much. I can't imagine this service costs them so much as they couldn't continue including this service at no cost for five years.
I think it's much more then you think. The 15 bucks is a add-on you will also need the reg service too

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Lets sum this up

The App is great but the price is too much.

While they were changing over (ie the you must use a email address for your user ID ) it took a bit of calling to get may accout back.
I was not able to get data from the app for 3 weeks even after fixing the account . it is working now.

Does reg service still have road side service ?

Onstar can always pull data and location from the car- I have used the onstar button many times to have the engine codes e-mailed to me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts