GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Basic Onstar plan and the myChevrolet app HAS been working fine. My basic plan does not expire until 2020 and the app shows my account is still active.
Today I could not get the app to show my vehicle status. It did however allow me to "precondition" the car. I called an OnStar agent and after much back and forth and try this and try that....it still would not work. She said that another OnStar agent would contact me within 24 hours to try and resolve the problem.
Anyone else having sporadic issues with your myChevrolet app ? At first the gal tried to tell me that Basic OnStar does not provide vehicle status for checking tire pressures and state of charge.....baloney...it has been working fine for me for months. I also have been getting consistant notifications whenever my car is fully charged.
Frustrating to be sure!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am having issues with the basic also. The two on other plans are working fine, but the one on basic won’t pull up vehicle status.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yes sporadic weird issues the last couple days. It gave me the "correct" charge time once, but still had the same battery level as last time I updated. Now, it's not telling me my lifetime electric miles, but giving me the correct "since last charge" electric miles. Weird random stuff like that is going on. Don't have time for the customer service call "sorry you're having this issue, let me create a ticket for you. You'll get a response in XX days...."

·
Registered
433 Posts
OnStar Basic DOES NOT provide vehicle status, it only provides key fob functions (precondition, remote lock/unlock, horns, etc.)

If you had access to vehicle status and now you don't, then most likely you were on the free trial of one of the paid plans and that has ended and you were rolled into the free basic plan.

The paid plans DO provide vehicle status and if you are actively paying OnStar and you do not have vehicle status, then you should contact OnStar.

Edit: I forgot to mention, even with OnStar basic, you can still use www.myvolt.com to check vehicle status, but it will not be provided in the MyChevroletApp unless you're on a paid plan.

·
Registered
40 Posts
OnStar Basic DOES NOT provide vehicle status, it only provides key fob functions (precondition, remote lock/unlock, horns, etc.)

If you had access to vehicle status and now you don't, then most likely you were on the free trial of one of the paid plans and that has ended and you were rolled into the free basic plan.
Are you sure? My free trial ended months ago, and vehicle status had been working fine until yesterday (same as OP). Now I have key fob options, but vehicle status says 'Upgrade Now.'

Keith

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well my free trial ended back in February but I still had access to the vehicle status part of the app until I think April, after than it stopped and said, "Upgrade Now." So I called OnStar and they told me the same thing they told you, vehicle status is only available on paid plans, the basic plan only provides access to the key fob functions. I also asked my dealer's service manager (Jack at Asheville Chevrolet) and he said the same thing. I have a MY2013 and MY2016 both with the basic plan and I can only access key fob functions on both.

Basic only provides key fob functionality. Vehicle status functionality may linger for a few months while OnStar's system catches up, but if you are on the basic plan you will lose the vehicle status functionality.

You can still access it through myvolt.com however, just not through the app.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same here, interesting so many of us would have the same problem starting on the same day. My free full onstar trial ended 8 months ago and vehicle status has still been working fine on the Basic plan. The Upgrade Now options do not detail which plans would offer vehicle status. I'm curious to see if this is a bug, or which is the cheapest plan to restore this functionality. I've become quite used to it and would probably pay to restore it. I would like to have vehicle location ability back too, and the stolen vehicle protections would be nice.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have the Basic Onstar plan and the myChevrolet app HAS been working fine. My basic plan does not expire until 2020 and the app shows my account is still active.
Today I could not get the app to show my vehicle status. It did however allow me to "precondition" the car. I called an OnStar agent and after much back and forth and try this and try that....it still would not work. She said that another OnStar agent would contact me within 24 hours to try and resolve the problem.
Anyone else having sporadic issues with your myChevrolet app ? At first the gal tried to tell me that Basic OnStar does not provide vehicle status for checking tire pressures and state of charge.....baloney...it has been working fine for me for months. I also have been getting consistant notifications whenever my car is fully charged.
Frustrating to be sure!
There is some confusion over this however the Basic plan only gives you KeyFob type access. What you had been experiencing is a trial plan. The same thing has happened on my Gen1s.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The real issue for me is that the OnStar plan is HORRIBLY TERRIBLY EXPENSIVE!!!!

The plan should cost $24 per year as it would only cost less than a dollar for each subscriber to maintain the servers. I build our own servers and maintain them and I know the cost. GM's systems should even cost less as they use cheap programmers from China.

The $19 per month is horrible price.

I have excellent GMAIL service, and it costs me $24/year for very large space.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The real issue for me is that the OnStar plan is HORRIBLY TERRIBLY EXPENSIVE!!!!
That's why I wouldn't even consider paid OnStar service- way too much money for what you get. Before smartphones and Google Maps, they probably offered a lot more features than you could get elsewhere. But for just vehicle status and perhaps emergency response, it's hard to imagine paying more than a buck or two each month.

Keith

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Same here, interesting so many of us would have the same problem starting on the same day. My free full onstar trial ended 8 months ago and vehicle status has still been working fine on the Basic plan. The Upgrade Now options do not detail which plans would offer vehicle status. I'm curious to see if this is a bug, or which is the cheapest plan to restore this functionality. I've become quite used to it and would probably pay to restore it. I would like to have vehicle location ability back too, and the stolen vehicle protections would be nice.
All of the pay plans include vehicle status. The cheapest one is $20/month or you can pay $200 per year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I suppose it is possible/likely that vehicle status was intended to stop working when the full Onstar trails expired. Onstar.com's website does seem to confirm this. I guess we should be happy they failed to properly restrict it for 8 months after trial, in my case. However their inability to properly maintain permissions and reliability of the app are concerning when considering paying for the same level of service.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If folks miss the vehicle status information and don't want to pay OnStar to get it back, then use your phone's browser to go to myvolt.com. You can get the same tire pressure and battery charge status while on the free basic plan. Problem solved.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is going to be interesting to see if I actually get a call back from an OnStar rep regarding my "issue". From what others have posted it does sound like my "trial" ended with an unexpected "grace" period. I will not be paying to restore the "vehicle status" part of the app. I'm not happy about it and I thought it was great for the info it gave me.....but I guess I can get off the couch and go out to the garage and turn on the car to check its status.
I will look into Volt.com and see what that is about.....I was not aware of it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Secure.myvolt.com does provide most of the same data. It is quite a dated design and full of Gen1 only links/info. Navigating the MyChevrolet app is certainly easier, but as suggested this is a workable free solution.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I wrote an app a while back to load the data from myvolt.com without needing to use a browser (especially because their website is super extremely terrible), and am partially in the process of rewriting it (it's on the back burner to make time for other projects right now). I don't think I could put it on the Play Store without risk of GM cease-and-desisting me, but I could probably distribute it on the forums without issue.

here's a screenshot of the old version

·
Registered
44 Posts
All of the pay plans include vehicle status. The cheapest one is $20/month or you can pay $200 per year.
That is the price through the MyChevrolet app, but when logged into onstar.com I'm seeing the following prices for the Protection plan:

$12.99/month
$149.90/year - Save 25%

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I usually just use the app to know the vehicle status after I plug in the car to check that it is charging and most importantly know what time it will be finished. I guess I'll have to spend a little more time, by getting in again and read the console after I plug it in, to read the estimated time it will be done and not use the app for such. The estimated time charging will be done is displayed briefly after you plug it in. I wouldn't pay $19 a month just to use the app to know the status. That's way more than what I pay for electricity!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts