GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So after a near PERFECT 2 years driving my 2016 Volt, the check engine light came on about a month ago, my car wouldn't charge. I took it to the dealer to fix. They fixed it after a day or so, then 2-3 days later, then check engine light came on again - car can't charge, and I took it back.

Rinse and repeat this scenario 5x in a row, (it just happened again today). I love my Volt, I love everything about it, except the part about not having it for a month.

At this point, i'm considering options and I don't know what to do.

I could take it to a different dealership?
Can i return the lease and get a new Volt?
Can i get my lease payment back considering i haven't had the car for about a month?
Get a tesla?

What else can I do?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Hello,

So after a near PERFECT 2 years driving my 2016 Volt, the check engine light came on about a month ago, my car wouldn't charge. I took it to the dealer to fix. They fixed it after a day or so, then 2-3 days later, then check engine light came on again - car can't charge, and I took it back.

Rinse and repeat this scenario 5x in a row, (it just happened again today). I love my Volt, I love everything about it, except the part about not having it for a month.

At this point, i'm considering options and I don't know what to do.

I could take it to a different dealership?
Can i return the lease and get a new Volt?
Can i get my lease payment back considering i haven't had the car for about a month?
Get a tesla?

What else can I do?

Any help is appreciated.
Take it to another dealer. Sounds like the current one is clueless.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Agree that the dealer seems inept. Have you asked for an explanation of what they think the problem is and what they've done to "fix" it?

My guess is that it's a sensor and they're just clearing the codes and calling it fixed. Just a guess and might be totally unfair.

As for the lease payment, note the lessor is not the dealer so there isn't any reason why it should forgive your payment. The dealer or GM might cover it but convincing them to do that might be a heavy lift.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Take it to another dealer. Sounds like the current one is clueless.
Agreed. I would also PM Amber, who I believe is back helping forum members with current cases: http://gm-volt.com/forum/member.php?5558-Chevrolet-Customer-Svc

At this point, you should at least know WHY your car is still sitting around. I've been stuck without my Gen 1 Volt before for many weeks due to parts issues--but at least I KNEW why it was taking so long...

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
You can't get the lease payments back, and they should be giving you a loaner, so it's a wash. At some point since the car is still under warranty I think the lemon laws still apply. You could wind up with a nice '18 Volt. But I would also get a thorough explanation, and try another dealer.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Also if (when) it happens again, I'd contact OnStar or use an OBD-II reader if you have to get the actual trouble codes. That will point you in the direction of what might really be at fault.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts