GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY17 EPA ratings are decreasing/becoming more "Real World" Volt ahead of the curve?

I was going to reference some articles but will let you guys do it...We went from a MY16 to a MY17 with the ICE engine moving from Mexico to the States and the MPGs stayed the same...The EPA states all MY17 will undergo the new scoring model so it would appear the MY17 Volt would be under that criteria...I was more or less curious if from the start the MY16 Volt was under the EPAs MY17 metrics or if they improved ICE MPGs by bringing production to the state...

We're most likely going see some big MPG drops for all models...If you can remember, the Volt's arch rival in 2007 Prius legally advertised 60 city & 51 HW; then the EPA changed and in 2008 the same car was rated 48 city & 45 HW...

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
The EPA rating is just a number on the vehicle sticker. I highly doubt the car materially changed between my16 and my17 to cause any real change. As with any car, you can drive it like you stole it and not get anywhere near the EPA rating or drive it like a grandpa and beat the EPA rating (or drive like Ari_C and get 81.8 miles of EV range on a gen 1.)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The 2016 MY Volt and the 2017 MY Volt have identical ratings. Haven't seen anything about the EPA changing the tests for 2017. The last change was in 2008 as you mention.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May I ask why you went and got a '17 when you had a '16? Lemon law or something? I assume the depreciation would have been a major hit...
MY = Model Year

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The letter was sent last Feb....so all the manufacturers have known for some time the change would be implemented on MY17s. Most likely GM did their EPA-spec fuel economy testing on the '16 with the '17 EPA policy change in mind. That's why the '17 has the exact same numbers as the '16...would have been foolish not to.
Yeah that's what it sounds like to me...The way I read the article you cannot offer a MY17 with the older EPA MPG figures anyways...
Will be curious to see which models will have a drop...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, but were you originally saying that you had a 2016 and you traded it in for a 2017? Or when you say "we" do you just mean the Volt community at-large?
We as in the community...With that being said I had preordered a MY16 and didn't accept delivery as we couldn't come to terms on pricing...

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 2013 Ford Fusion Energi got retested and they lowered the 100MPG rating a few MPG. Then they sent me a check for $500.

ChuckJ

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2013 Ford Fusion Energi got retested and they lowered the 100MPG rating a few MPG. Then they sent me a check for $500.

ChuckJ
$550 for purchase, $325 if you leased...Basically threw owners a bone to reduce the likelihood of them joining one of the several Class Action Settlements...

GM did the same thing just a few weeks ago for some larger SUVs...http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1104062_gm-big-suv-buyers-to-be-compensated-for-wrong-fuel-economy-on-window-stickers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts