GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I decided to try to get the worst mileage possible. After filling up with gas, took the car on and off the freeway with heavy acceleration, heavy braking followed by more of same on surface streets to home. Set the car to "hold" so least possible battery assist. A nice short 2.9 mile drive, being as annoying to the car as possible. This is the kind of thing that would get me 10 to 12 miles per gallon on most cars. Despite my best efforts, I still got 24.6 mpg.

Impressive!

Tomorrow I'm going to try to charge a fully discharged battery by using "mountain" mode, running up to 75 and down to 55 repeatedly until the battery is charged. After it hits 19 miles of charge, I will switch between from "mountain" to "hold" and "normal". Hold when accelerating to 75, Normal when decelerating to 55. The engineer in me just has to see the mpg in doing this to see how inefficient it is. Of course the most expensive way to charge the battery is from its own gas powered engine (or some of the rip-off charging stations).

What kind of numbers are others getting under these cases? I am very curious.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
please do and let everyone know what you experience! When I had my first 350Z I took it to the track once and it was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I would guess GM conducted these and many more "designed to break it" tests but for some reason the data results never get released to the public. So like other Volt owners I'll be interested in your results.

On the surface it appears GM low balled the Volts AER range considering many of us routinely exceed the 35/38 rating by 20 to 50%. I would like to hear from Volt owners operating their vehicles out west like say Phoenix and Las Vagas right now and see how low their AER has dropped.

Have fun and be safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.