GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Actually you came out of this pretty well. The damage was caused by a collision which wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Your insurance company could also have denied it was covered. So for $500 you ended up with a new battery, which probably costs GM at least $8K. That's a good thing since the newer the battery the longer it will last.

I can understand why GM wants to replace the pack rather than try to mend it. You really don't want to mess with something which can be quite dangerous. Keep in mind that it would be cheaper for them to do a repair than a replacement.

Also nice to get confirmation of the replacement cost.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Actually you came out of this pretty well. The damage was caused by a collision which wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Your insurance company could also have denied it was covered. So for $500 you ended up with a new battery, which probably costs GM at least $8K. That's a good thing since the newer the battery the longer it will last.

Why would the battery pack cost $8k when you could buy BATTERY ASSY - GM (22856838) online for a little over $2200!?

Would be interesting to know what type of battery capacity the OP got as a replacement? 16kWh, 16.5kWh or the latest 17.1kWh?:confused:

·
Registered
214 Posts
So if they repaired as you suggested and something catastrophic happened down the road then what. I agree that what seems minor but they are probably a little gun shy with all the lawsuit s they deal with. How much labor time was involved in pulling the battery?
Would you feel better getting handed a $500 bill showing 450 for labor and 5 for parts and 45 for shop fees? If your insurance co. raises your rate thats on them though thay shouldn't unless you have a history, plus you got a new battery.
Not trying to fault your logic, if you crawled under and fixed it yourself that's one thing.
Maybe if you offered to sign an affidavit releasing them from all future liability relatedto the battery pack?

·
Administrator
21,031 Posts
So this is more proof that installing a new battery is under $3k.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts

I can understand why GM wants to replace the pack rather than try to mend it. You really don't want to mess with something which can be quite dangerous. Keep in mind that it would be cheaper for them to do a repair than a replacement.

Also nice to get confirmation of the replacement cost.
Agreed! Looks like to me someone drove over a fairly large rock. Inadvertent or not, the observed damage is obvious and clear (and quite simply precludes any sort of "just driving along" yarn)

The physical location of the damage is somewhat irrelevant, as the subjected forces necessary to deform and/or puncture right through the metal battery skid plate could easily have dislodged a temp sensor mounting, damaged a BICM circuit board, or created a connection issue somewhere in the sensor string. Assuming the dealer is following the DTC diagnostic procedure, they should know what has triggered the DTC by now.

But the OP is still getting off easy here IMO. (and perhaps should be treading lightly right now if I were he) The parts system listed price on a complete battery pack is an "exchange" price that assumes no physical damage to the cell structure. The dealer appears to be handling this situation correctly IMO.

Why anybody would expect ANY repairs required due to undercarriage rock damage would or should be covered under warranty is beyond me...

WOT

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Why would the battery pack cost $8k when you could buy BATTERY ASSY - GM (22856838) online for a little over $2200!?
That is an "exchange" price and assumes the returned "core" is in a physically undamaged state.
WOT

·
Administrator
21,031 Posts
Summary:
"I (or the previous owner) drove over something that caused damage to the exhaust system, heat shield and battery pack assembly. I'm now upset with GM because I had to pay $500 out of pocket to have the collision damage repaired."

Several posts on radiator damage and several on heat shields damage lead me to the conclusion that some owners (incorrectly) expect damage caused by smashing the car into road debris will be covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Summary:
"I (or the previous owner) drove over something that caused damage to the exhaust system, heat shield and battery pack assembly. I'm now upset with GM because I had to pay $500 out of pocket to have the collision damage repaired."

Several posts on radiator damage and several on heat shields damage lead me to the conclusion that some owners (incorrectly) expect damage caused by smashing the car into road debris will be covered by the warranty.
I think I have been mis-understood here. I expected that they would not cover the damage to the undercarriage. Yeah, some other guy got lucky, and they fixed his heat shield for free, and he should have had a bill to pay.

They are NOT replacing the battery, they are going to charge me to replace the battery carriage. It is a $1300 part plus labor. The total estimate to repair it is $2600.

My complaint is that GM has decided that this is the ONLY way it will be repaired. They could save me and my insurance company a lot of money if they would simply take the batteries off the tray, take the tray over the body shop, and spend an hour straightening the stud, and using a welder to seal up the hole. If it take a body guy more than two hours to fix this, he is not worth his salt. They could repaired this for well under $500, depending on the shop rate.

I also have to disagree that this caused my battery problem. They are going to replace one bank of cells on the front of the battery, well away from the damaged area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got placed in a similar situation for a Gen2 Volt. No mention of heat sheild, but battery tray and muffler hanger damage are turning a warranty check for squeaks into a 4K repair. To the OP, what was the impact to your insurance premiums. In the end, did you save money by turning this into an insurance claim?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I just got placed in a similar situation for a Gen2 Volt. No mention of heat sheild, but battery tray and muffler hanger damage are turning a warranty check for squeaks into a 4K repair. To the OP, what was the impact to your insurance premiums. In the end, did you save money by turning this into an insurance claim?
He hasn't posted in over two years.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts