GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My volt was in a fender bender last night. Unfortunately, it happened in my driveway. My grandmother backed into the Volt with her Grand Marquis. We have different insurance companies. I'm taking it to a collision facility owned by the dealer here in town. Should i insist on OEM parts? I don't want to void any warranties I have (It is a CPO vehicle). How much of the car value can i expect to lose here?
[iurl="http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109497&d=1461824325"]
[/iurl]

Update 1: I got called by the shop this morning with the initial estimate: $1,140 and some change. All new parts, since that is what State Farm will authorize. They are waiting for a Volt tech to come out and shut down the high voltage system so they can take the car apart. Once they do that, they can check for additional damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
My volt was in a fender bender last night. Unfortunately, it happened in my driveway. My grandmother backed into the Volt with her Grand Marquis. We have different insurance companies. I'm taking it to a collision facility owned by the dealer here in town. Should i insist on OEM parts? I don't want to void any warranties I have (It is a CPO vehicle). How much of the car value can i expect to lose here?
View attachment 109497 View attachment 109505
Are you a lease?

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
Ouch. I suspect with the low volume of Volts, most parts would be OEM anyway except maybe the windshield. Perhaps more important is to also collect for the diminished resale value of the car.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Looks like the only real damage is on the rear clip.

You could order an already painted to match clip and then just have a shop that is familiar with the Volt swap them for you. You can find the outfit that sells factory bumpers for Volt on ebay. They usually run around $500. This way the insurance company doesn't have to get involved, the car will look like new, with factory painted part, which wont go on the car's record.

This could save you money compared to the car's perceived lost value with a collision on it's record.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
How much of the car value can i expect to lose here?

Judging from your pics I would have to guess none as this damage appears superficial and possibly limited to just the Rear Bumper Fascia plastic which is replaceable as an entire piece. Please tell us you didn't file an insurance claim against your own Grandma for this very minor damage!?:eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im a college student. dont exactly have a lot of spare funds. and my deductible is 1000. she hasn't had an accident in 15 years. my history is a little different. she actually initiated the claim.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
im a college student. dont exactly have a lot of spare funds. and my deductible is 1000. she hasn't had an accident in 15 years. my history is a little different. she actually initiated the claim.

11 12 13 CHEVROLET VOLT REAR BUMPER COVER OEM

FWIW: You may get lucky and be able to pickup a used rear bumper for @$100 but you would still have to get painted.

I guess if your Granny is OK with taking the insurance hit, this is her call but you probably could have 'taken care' of this for cheap w/o involving the insurance companies and something to keep in mind should this happen again to you in the future!:)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

11 12 13 CHEVROLET VOLT REAR BUMPER COVER OEM

FWIW: You may get lucky and be able to pickup a used rear bumper for @$100 but you would still have to get painted.

I guess if your Granny is OK with taking the insurance hit, this is her call but you probably could have 'taken care' of this for cheap w/o involving the insurance companies and something to keep in mind should this happen again to you in the future!:)
My son had more damage than that on his rear quarter panel and the local shop charged him $1100 on his cyber gray 2013 . You can't tell it ever happened .

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hit a deer with my 2012.
Fortunately, it was a medium sized deer and i was only doing 40MPH. Air bags did not deploy.
Lost the right front head light assembly, grill, front bumper, hood, right front fender and one of the radiators.. Like $ 3,000.00.
So, yours could have been worse..
Tip- dont park behind grandmas.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you plan on using an insurance claim to fix it, there is no reason not to go to a dealer to fix it.

However, if you plan on not using insurance to avoid seeing your grandmother's rates go up, then it becomes tricky. The Volt is still a new vehicle and parts are limited outside of a dealer.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Accidents happen. Congratulations to your grandmother for still getting out there with her Grand Marquis. I haven't seen one of them in years. My mother is still driving her 2006 Mazda 6. She has it up to 22,000 km. now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Theres a dealer-affiliated shop that the Volt Advisor recommended to me. We're using that shop, which also happens to be a preferred shop for the insurance company. I go tomorrow to get the estimate from the adjuster, though the shop has done the preliminary estimate with new OEM Parts. It appears the bumper cover, lower rear fascia, sensors, and rear quarter panel will need to be replaced, as the clips were yanked out damaging both the bumper cover and quarter panel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its a 2000. My 2013 volt replaced the 2000 Taurus i had, which died via headgasket failure.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
bumper cover, lower rear fascia, sensors, and rear quarter panel will need to be replaced, as the clips were yanked out damaging both the bumper cover and quarter panel.

Unless it is hidden from view in your pic which it very well could be, I'm failing to see damage to the quarter panel only the rear bumper fascia.

I would have thought the 4 parking assist sensors would already be installed with an OEM rear bumper but they are relatively inexpensive at @$8 a piece...

How fast was your Grandma going when she backed into your Volt? It may be possible the rear bumper fascia didn't 'snap off' the guide cleanly like it is designed to do if removed and instead damaged this outer guide (#2) which is held with 4 rivets (#1) into place.

Have you attempted to remove the rear bumper as shown in the example video above to asses the damage yourself?:confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My son had more damage than that on his rear quarter panel and the local shop charged him $1100 on his cyber gray 2013 . You can't tell it ever happened .
I got called by the shop this morning with the initial estimate: $1,140 and some change. All new parts, since that is what State Farm will authorize. They are waiting for a Volt tech to come out and shut down the high voltage system so they can take the car apart. Once they do that, they can check for additional damage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts